274 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I have decided to go with Si from TTEs advice and order the IROZ lpfp. At least this will enable me to get an E85 map done at some point.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I have decided to go with Si from TTEs advice and order the IROZ lpfp. At least this will enable me to get an E85 map done at some point.

Stu.

I'll check your fuel pipes etc can support running E85.

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Stu.

I'll check your fuel pipes etc can support running E85.

Dell.

Good idea Dell I think that will be later in he year when I’ve done a ton of extra overtime. Doing these builds isn’t cheap but I guess I knew that.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
We have decided whilst the engine is stripped the head is being sent to Tim at Race Developments to have CNC porting & polishing. Due to wanting to keep quick spoiling Tim will use a program that allows for the oem sized Supertech valves to be used.

Edited by StuW13, 20 February 2021 - 12:57 AM.

Sequence

Sequence

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

We have decided whilst the engine is stripped the head is being sent to Tim at Race Developments to have CNC porting & polishing. Due to wanting to keep quick spoiling Tim will use a program that allows for the oem sized Supertech valves to be used.

Pulling out all the stops  :D gonna be one fast rs 

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Pulling out all the stops  :D gonna be one fast rs 

The plan is to have as much usable power as possible. It would have been easier to just fit a big turbo and run e85 but I’m going to use it as a street car and I want Decent power through the Rev range and improved drivability. After the bonnet, rear Wavetrack (when ready) and Haldex controller I will definitely be looking into the lightweight subframes and other suspension parts.

I asked Tim from Race Developments if I needed sleeves, or at what point they are needed and was told over 800 whp. He’s going to price that separately so I’ll see, but too if expensive I probably won’t do it as I’m never going to run over 800 whp. Of course who wouldn’t want more power but I don’t want it if it just pushes the useable power band too far up the Rev range.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Well I have had the price back for sleeving my block and it is £4800.00.
As it’s not needed unless going over 800 whp I won’t be doing it. Even if it was half that price I’d be in 2 minds because there have been issues with sleeves so no point introducing a potential issue if I don’t need to do it. I’ve read a few stories of rods through blocks and they were all due to standard rods bending.

Sequence

Sequence

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Well I have had the price back for sleeving my block and it is £4800.00.
As it’s not needed unless going over 800 whp I won’t be doing it. Even if it was half that price I’d be in 2 minds because there have been issues with sleeves so no point introducing a potential issue if I don’t need to do it. I’ve read a few stories of rods through blocks and they were all due to standard rods bending.

Agree with you on this for sure, it can take some tweaking with sleeves in regards to knock control. If you don't mind what is it costing to do the bottom end build without head porting?

Main failures I have seen mostly are stage 2 e85 and yea bending rods etc early cars 2 years ago seemed to have a lot of detonation related failure with ring lands cracking or the wrist pin breaking out and ruining the bores. Most tuners have taken up the 500-550lb-ft torque cap now which is good, I'm stage 2 98ron and still a little weary of the rods but I could be just overly paranoid 

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Agree with you on this for sure, it can take some tweaking with sleeves in regards to knock control. If you don't mind what is it costing to do the bottom end build without head porting?
Main failures I have seen mostly are stage 2 e85 and yea bending rods etc early cars 2 years ago seemed to have a lot of detonation related failure with ring lands cracking or the wrist pin breaking out and ruining the bores. Most tuners have taken up the 500-550lb-ft torque cap now which is good, I'm stage 2 98ron and still a little weary of the rods but I could be just overly paranoid

Same here, I’m at Stage 2 and now contemplating D/P and a 4” turbo inlet to get me a little more, but at the back of my mind there’s always the damn rods.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Same here, I’m at Stage 2 and now contemplating D/P and a 4” turbo inlet to get me a little more, but at the back of my mind there’s always the damn rods.......

The rods aren’t bad considering it rare to have issues under 500 ft/lbs torque. I am sure even the 8p engines would benefit being built at this point. One thing I have learnt is the lightweight blocks are super strong snd not a weak point like often claimed. Speaking to the likes of RD and IROZ it is the rods that are the weakest post, but something always has to first.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

The rods aren’t bad considering it rare to have issues under 500 ft/lbs torque. I am sure even the 8p engines would benefit being built at this point. One thing I have learnt is the lightweight blocks are super strong snd not a weak point like often claimed. Speaking to the likes of RD and IROZ it is the rods that are the weakest post, but something always has to first.

Stu.

The 8P rods an't as probmatic as on the FLs.....But the pistons are due to the ring landings collapsing.

Btw I'm running 576lbsft & 443bhp.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 24 February 2021 - 06:37 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Lol the Rods aren’t bad......the rods are the weakest point those statements cancel each other out......

Edited by T-800, 24 February 2021 - 07:13 AM.

Buchrs3

Buchrs3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Nice build coming....i have an iroz intercooler for sale if you need mate...800hp core...in black

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Nice build coming....i have an iroz intercooler for sale if you need mate...800hp core...in black

Thanks for the offer but I have  Forge one and am currently waiting for an even better development one to be built. 

How come you are taking it off?

How's your car these days?

Buchrs3

Buchrs3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Thanks for the offer but I have Forge one and am currently waiting for an even better development one to be built.

How come you are taking it off?

How's your car these days?

I now need a bigger core as I'm running more power...the 1000hp iroz core is coming....

My cars running great thanx..
Just been turned up more...
Had meth fitted and it's also running ethanol now and a few other goodies...

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I now need a bigger core as I'm running more power...the 1000hp iroz core is coming....

My cars running great thanx..
Just been turned up more...
Had meth fitted and it's also running ethanol now and a few other goodies...

You need to do a big update with all the changes and maybe a dyno printout.  :)

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Whilst things are stripped I will be fitting a Verkline front lightweight subframe and adjustable race wishbones. I like the fact they are mad of T45 tubing and increase stiffness whilst reducing weight. Regal are working with Wavetrack to develop a unit for the rear diff at the moment, so at some point I will do that and the rear subframe & parts at the same time.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I see ARP are doing a bolt set for the sump to block to assist with rigidity in high torque builds. I now have this on order for reliability.

Also to aid better airflow into the cylinders I have an intake manifold on order:
https://www.bar-tek-...fold-2-5-l-tfsi

I was looking at a really nice carbon unit but was put off after reading some carbon ones had suffered air leakage.

Edited by StuW13, 02 March 2021 - 09:00 PM.

Sequence

Sequence

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I see ARP are doing a bolt set for the sump to block to assist with rigidity in high torque builds. I now have this on order for reliability.

Also to aid better airflow into the cylinders I have an intake manifold on order:
https://www.bar-tek-...fold-2-5-l-tfsi

I was looking at a really nice carbon unit but was put off after reading some carbon ones had suffered air leakage.

The list keeps growing  :D plenum is possibly overkill for a 700?

Edited by Sequence, 02 March 2021 - 10:12 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

The list keeps growing  :D plenum is possibly overkill for a 700?

You may be right but I’m getting a deal on the manifold and everything will be in place if I go big turbo at some point. Currently all of the turbos I’ve found for 800+ have worse lag than the hybrids. I’m hoping with the TTE777 I will get 700hp and decent drivability. I won’t even consider changing from a hybrid until I see how it drives because I may feel it’s plenty fast enough and the best balance between power and reliability.

I’m also going to do the rear Wavetrack, lightweight subframe, some body mods and weight reduction and see if I even need to go further or not.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.