92 replies to this topic

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

No Jay. Audi don't even look at the plugs. From my experience the plug change at 19K doesn't even show on Audi's system when they check the maintenance schedule for our cars. Hence why mine weren't changed for 32K.

I bought my car with just over 20K on it so just assumed they would have been done. I was wrong as it turned out.

Meant to be done every 20K miles aren't they? I think mine got flagged up on Audi's system. 

Was the yearly change suggested above only for mapped cars or is that a general suggestion that people go with?

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Gotcha! So when you hear people saying about reducing the gap of a spark plug how is that possible if it will only go so far into the coil and only drop so far down?

771adc02f8c374d172423b32f7087fa0.jpg

54ba947cbd239e7acfa45b11681da84d.jpg

Now that is a thing of beauty.

I will have to get one of those, even if just to hang on my garage wall - or boastfully attach to my car keys as if I know what I'm doing.

I'll be able to chuck out my old feeler gauges!

They were useful once, just thinking about them makes me go all nostalgic for distributor points, bucket cam followers and associated shims, the list goes on. Aw. Must be getting old.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
You mean the good old days Red.

When tuning your car involved spanners not a laptop.
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

I will need 8 of the bloody things I hope they are cheaper seems as its not a RS model ???

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I will need 8 of the bloody things I hope they are cheaper seems as its not a RS model ???

Get yer wallet out.......££££

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Thanks Duke & Mattjj

But which ? change or leave ?

Mixed views

Down to personal choice

Trust me, stick with OEM VAG plugs.. I've tried Denso's and don't rate them in our engines plus I have been advised not to use them by a very reputable tuner.
If you're mapped then an annual change is advisable but it does come down to usage/mileage/driving style at the end of the day as I said earlier. So really the only way to be sure is to run them for 12 months then whip them out to check the condition and colouration. That'll serve not only to advise if a plug change is needed but also the health of how the engine is running I.e. lean/good/rich

If you're stock, stick to the 19k service interval

Edited by Mattjj82, 17 January 2017 - 07:09 PM.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Best find a mate with a TPS account and get handy with the spanners otherwise 💷💷💷😭

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I'll ask the parts guy I know Roy......

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Thanks very much mate  :)

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Thanks very much mate  :)

Ok Roy.......

£120 for 8 spark plugs.....

Let me know if you likey and i'll give you the details.

I've also got the Elsawin procedure for replacing them if you want it....

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

So to put the record straight on my comment on price of plugs, the £320 I paid was not just for the plugs although it looks like that on the invoice. The plugs themsleves came in at £139.87 (so about £20 more then what is being suggested above), it's the 1.9 hour labour charge to fit them which makes the price stratospheric.

Can't really complain, just about to get an entire new updated and uprated DRC system fitted for nothing courtesy of warranty.

Edited by P_G, 20 January 2017 - 12:00 PM.

Kelza

Kelza

Elite Club Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCumbria
I used to get standard s3 plugs for £6.50 prices have gone through the roof !

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

The Turbo plugs on the RS3 per unit were about the same price, I just have to get 3 more now!

Championrs3

Championrs3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just reverted back to stock spark plugs as my car was running terrible, previous owner put DENSOS on, defo avoid! Cost £250 from Audi... Ouch

Championrs3

Championrs3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just reverted back to stock spark plugs as my car was running terrible, previous owner put DENSOS on, defo avoid! Cost £250 from Audi... Ouch

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

£ 250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine were £85.25 plus vat from Audi set of 5 . You need to query that. 

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

£ 250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine were £85.25 plus vat from Audi set of 5 . You need to query that.

£90 inc vat here 😁

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 15 May 2019 - 07:21 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
£70 odd when I bought the FL ones.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Unless they changed coils too, approx £20-30 per coil.

Edited by JayRS3, 15 May 2019 - 09:09 PM.

Gobi One

Gobi One

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AUSTRALIA

Gentlemen,

I'm looking down the barrel of the 60 000 km Service next week and have previously purchased a set of NGK ILFR7H plugs (2016 PFL Cast-block Engine). There's been lots of discussion about whether or not to go OEM and stomach the cost or use good quality non-OEM, so would welcome expert opinion whether to bite the bullet or to fit the NGK set over the weekend? 

It appears the 2017+ Engines use the 'J' plug which I understand is an 8-Heat Range Plug, but I believe mine was the 079 905 626E plug which is a 7-Heat Range and has the more traditional terminal.

I welcome your thoughts please gentlemen.

Many thanks,

Jim

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.