158 replies to this topic

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
I had 245/30 8.5j 20” on my 8P which was fine on the fronts but the rear no way. Rubs.

0e78ca33550999d3dc3188213dc7a813.jpg

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

even with 8.5j I think you can fit with 235/35/19. Sure not as good as 8j but it will work. then you will not rubber on the rear. why go wider than recommended?

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

It's good to know 235s fit on 8.5 rims because there are lots of 19s & 20s I have looked at that start at 8.5.

Your ride height looks really good Jay. Is that the look with MSS or H&R lowering springs?

Edited by StuW13, 30 December 2017 - 09:37 PM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
235 on 8.5 will leave your rim pretty exposed. I had mine on 235s after getting the wheels above refurbed, one pot hole and it damaged 3 of them the very next day.

I tried 245s which I had the rubbing so I ended up selling the wheels and going back to the staggered setup on 19s. I wouldn’t run a larger wheel ever again as it’s all unknown with wheel offsets, tyre widths, let alone restricts you to how much lower you can go.

I’m on Bilstein B16 adjustable suspension. The image above is actually sitting higher than stock because of the 20” wheels.

2503c2dd58c4598d43b718dcd8929a32.jpg

That is my current ride height and again it’s the same as stock.

Edited by JayRS3, 30 December 2017 - 09:52 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
235 on 8.5j rims

Be careful as Jay says there’s no protection.

bac62012c03f38d8736b917b23db51bb.jpg

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Now I’m seeing 235s on 8.5 rims I feel 8.0 would be a better fit. If only Audi had a bigger choice of rims on the saloon. What would have been perfect would have been if Audi has used the squarer older type extended arches and i5 was capable of 255 all round.

What I really need is a wheel in 8.0 and 8.5 sizes which have offsets which can make it fit. The OZ Leggera HLT is far lighter than a lot of other brands due to being a light alloy and being forged. The OZ site shows it can be done in a 8.0 but so far the only suppliers that have replied to my emails say they only sell them in 8.5 or bigger.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I have been scratching my head on why my 235 tyres seem to fit my 8.5 rims so well and I just went and had a good look. Well it turns out I forgot I’ve actually got 245 tyres so question answered.

I am very surprised that there is such a lack of space to fit bigger wheels when I always thought the RS cars would have much more room.

Are the US models any different because I read on Audi.net that an S3 had 245 tyres and several had 20s, which I would assume would have to be 245/30/20s like mine?

This is hard because not as many saloons out there and I am sure there would be a spot on ET to have 8.5s with 245 tyres. Mind you I have no idea what changes occur if lowering springs are fitted. I cracked the issue on my R but I had the advantage of height adjustment on my coil overs.

All you views and experience is appreciated guys.

Edited by StuW13, 01 January 2018 - 08:52 PM.

seventeenapg

seventeenapg

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationBelfast N Irl

235 on 8.5j rims

Be careful as Jay says there’s no protection.

bac62012c03f38d8736b917b23db51bb.jpg

Looking at your picture these are the rims I would like to get for my saloon when it arrives. Can you give me the sizes and tyres also? Cheers and appreciated.

2018 > Catalunya Red saloon < Black pack ~ pano sunroof ~ privacy glass ~ LD Prestige gloss black wheel rims ~ red brake calipers ~ matrix LED ~ Gtechnic Ultra ~ Suntec PPF to complete front incl mirror caps ~ folding mirrors ~ keyless entry ~ sports exhaust ~ black badged ~ supersports seats ~ Blackvue DR 900s 2CH dash cam with OBD-II power source ~ RS design pack ~ comfort pack<

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Very nice wheels indeed aye Sean.

31891bcf70cb697501a206ce4966c3a7.jpg
Still miss mine every time I see the new owner with them on his FL Nardo saloon

a78c3ae3e7ac03c5bab9981089d16d57.jpg

Edited by JayRS3, 02 January 2018 - 12:21 AM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Hi Jay
How can the new owner have them on his FL Saloon if they don’t fit yours without hitting at the rear? They do look really good.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Hi Jay
How can the new owner have them on his FL Saloon if they don’t fit yours without hitting at the rear? They do look really good.

He really wanted the wheels as they are unavailable in that part of the world and I guess that’s the chance he’s taken. Plus I doubt the roads in Australia are as bad as they are in the UK. Remember I do have an 8P so the 8V may be different but it may be a case of trial and error like I did with wheels and tyres.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

He really wanted the wheels as they are unavailable in that part of the world and I guess that’s the chance he’s taken. Plus I doubt the roads in Australia are as bad as they are in the UK. Remember I do have an 8P so the 8V may be different but it may be a case of trial and error like I did with wheels and tyres.

Pity they are not in the UK because it would be great to try them out on a facelift Saloon. 245 makes it so much easier to have the wheel you want. My dad used to manage a main dealer repair centre in Leicester and I remember him telling me about insurance companies who had refused to pay out when they sent pictures of alloys with ‘stretched’ tyres. The rim protection aside this put me off ever doing it.

Last night I emailed Demon Tweeks who are listed on the OZ site as a supplier and asked them if it was possible to order the 8.0 and ET 42 because the OZ site states you can. If they say yes I can go for staggered on exactly the same originally sizes. I read the OZ wheels on 19s are just over 8kg which is much lighter that standard. There are some really good threads on Audi sport.net that explain the handling and performance benefits. One thing I didn’t consider is the weight directly sapping power whilst spinning, just like a standard vs lightweight race crank or flywheel. One thread explained weight reduction on a wheel is the same as x 4 in overall weight reduction on the car for performance. So a 10kg saving per corner is the same as 160kg in total weight. I won’t get too excited as knowing my luck I won’t find any nice looking 8.0 lightweight wheels lol.

Edited by StuW13, 02 January 2018 - 07:27 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Looking at your picture these are the rims I would like to get for my saloon when it arrives. Can you give me the sizes and tyres also? Cheers and appreciated.

Ok no problem

Offset 47

8.5j x 19”

Tyres are 235/35/19

LDPrestige stock them in a few different offsets (43 / 45 / 47 iirc)

seventeenapg

seventeenapg

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationBelfast N Irl
Is that 20 inchers on the Nardo gray Ray? They look the business and this is the idea im after. I would prefer 19s though.

2018 > Catalunya Red saloon < Black pack ~ pano sunroof ~ privacy glass ~ LD Prestige gloss black wheel rims ~ red brake calipers ~ matrix LED ~ Gtechnic Ultra ~ Suntec PPF to complete front incl mirror caps ~ folding mirrors ~ keyless entry ~ sports exhaust ~ black badged ~ supersports seats ~ Blackvue DR 900s 2CH dash cam with OBD-II power source ~ RS design pack ~ comfort pack<

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Is that 20 inchers on the Nardo gray Ray? They look the business and this is the idea im after. I would prefer 19s though.

Yes oem S6 20” wheels, originally in anthracite but I had them refurbished to match the colour combo of the RS6.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

All the top cars have these wheels on them !!!

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

All the top cars have these wheels on them !!!

Yes and they look great, just wished you coul£ get 245s on them so the rim is less exposed.

Does anyone know what the 19s and 20s both weight?

Just found this clubsport concept with 235/35/19 tyres which seem to fit better than some. Are some tyres wider than other or is it an illusion due to wheel protection lip?

http://www.eurocarne...ery-detail.html

Edited by StuW13, 02 January 2018 - 05:47 PM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Not the best picture but the only side shot I have with the 245s on the rear

fb5d99e0e406a8c0d00ace2787fe99aa.jpg

There’s definitely enough protection it’s just if it’ll rub or not. You can see towards the front how much the tyre protrudes the body of the car.

Edited by JayRS3, 02 January 2018 - 06:03 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

There’s definitely enough protection it’s just if it’ll rub or not. You can see towards the front how much the tyre protrudes the body of the car.

Hi Jay what was the ET you had front and rears on? I see the rim sticks out a bit as well and I have seen some 8.5 rims that don’t come out as far on the rear. There may be hope yet.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
bfa7dba9bc658e68edd6ce3ce9458936.jpgET43 8.5J front and rear.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.