• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

bazf

bazf

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Project-Mu H16 Compound are the best pads i've seen on the RS so far.   BTCC car well using them ;-) 

I use Carbotech XP12 on the Ibiza for racing so i'd imagine you'd want the XP20 with the RS's weight.

Adders3

Adders3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Are these used with oem discs? Looking for a decent brake set up with out going for alcons, was looking at oem disc, ds2500 pads, motul 5.1 fluid and braided hoses. Iโ€™m going to the ring in April and I know the factory brakes are prone to fail. Any recommendations??

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Are these used with oem discs? Looking for a decent brake set up with out going for alcons, was looking at oem disc, ds2500 pads, motul 5.1 fluid and braided hoses. Iโ€™m going to the ring in April and I know the factory brakes are prone to fail. Any recommendations??

That set up is good but the OEM discs are the weak link.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 20 February 2018 - 11:46 AM.

Vroom

Vroom

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Project-Mu H16 Compound are the best pads i've seen on the RS so far. BTCC car well using them ;-)

I use Carbotech XP12 on the Ibiza for racing so i'd imagine you'd want the XP20 with the RS's weight.

Baz my man I only trust 2 pads for my usage..project Mu 999 and pagid RS 29.

I prefer the 999 as the initial bite is massive even when cold which is handy when ripping through narrow twisty mountain roads.

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that the stock brake set up isn't great though and am having my AP 5000R set up from my 997 adapted to fit the RS3 should go on on wednesday...with project mu 999 in place.

Lee_m

Lee_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationsouth devon
Iโ€™ve read all that and Iโ€™m still confused
I fitted redstuff pads to my 2012 mk1 but I canโ€™t remeber what the part number was to order another set,
BUT.. Iโ€™m selling car/px it in a few weeks so really just looking for a cheap set of pads what shall I fit?
Cheers peers

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Iโ€™ve read all that and Iโ€™m still confused
I fitted redstuff pads to my 2012 mk1 but I canโ€™t remeber what the part number was to order another set,
BUT.. Iโ€™m selling car/px it in a few weeks so really just looking for a cheap set of pads what shall I fit?
Cheers peers

Do yourself a favour.........don't put Redstuff on an 8V RS3 

There are better options.......

Lee_m

Lee_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationsouth devon
What pads shall I buy for the mk1 RS? Just something cheap please

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Lee.

Ferodo Premier I've fitted them to a friend's & my RS3 & they work well.

Get them on eBay at ยฃ40 inc p&p eBay No252975330891.

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Can't go wrong with these, just do a search for a stockist near you

http://www.ferodo.co...le&brand_id=876

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Can't go wrong with these, just do a search for a stockist near you

http://www.ferodo.co...le&brand_id=876

๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ‘

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Lee.

Btw Brian put me onto the Ferodo Premier as MRC run them in there track day RS4s ๐Ÿ˜Š

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 19 June 2018 - 01:07 PM.

Lee_m

Lee_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationsouth devon
Thatโ€™s fantastic guys thanks I will order them on eBay ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿบ

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

I am going to re-new the pads front and rear on my 2011 RS3 8P.

I have got Ferodo Premiers but am worried about re-instating the pad wear sensor wires as the new pads don't have them.... RS3Dell could you clarify how you have grafted or soldered the wires onto the new pads please?

Also on the back calipers I think I need a caliper piston re-wind tool , can anyone tell me please if I need a lefthand or righthand one?? or is it possible to rewind the piston by another method?

Many thanks.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I am going to re-new the pads front and rear on my 2011 RS3 8P.

I have got Ferodo Premiers but am worried about re-instating the pad wear sensor wires as the new pads don't have them.... RS3Dell could you clarify how you have grafted or soldered the wires onto the new pads please?

Also on the back calipers I think I need a caliper piston re-wind tool , can anyone tell me please if I need a lefthand or righthand one?? or is it possible to rewind the piston by another method?

Many thanks.

Buy a new pad wear sensor which clips onto the front left hand side pads as they break when removing from the old pads  :(

Here's one i've used in the past from eBay item number:302543517035  :) 

As for the wind back tool it winds back normally eg: Clockwise so anyone for a VAG car will do mate. :)

Or this one on eBay item number:271971474440

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 03 December 2018 - 10:42 PM.

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Thanks Dell....great response as usual !

SteveCuz

SteveCuz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey guys useful thread. I'm needing to get new brake discs and pads for the front but I like keeping my car OEM. Owned it from new and always gone to Audi for everything but I think I will go to an independent for the discs and pads. If I stick OEM does anyone have a link to the best replacement pads at the best price? Or even if I stick with OEM for the discs would you recommend moving to the pads above (ferodo) and installing new sensors? Like I said I'm not into modding so looking for the best value and smooth running.

Thanks

Steve

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
New pads day

bc13ebff4ec145b5c3f6e7d7d576594d.jpg

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

New pads day

bc13ebff4ec145b5c3f6e7d7d576594d.jpg

What were you using before these Sean?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

What were you using before these Sean?

TRW.

Nothing wrong with them, however Iโ€™d been told the DS2500 were the way to go.

Will give some feedback once they are fully bedded in.

Edited by T-800, 29 May 2019 - 08:53 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Ok so I fitted the Ferodo DS2500 yesterday.

I must say these particular pads were a nice fit in the Brembo caliper, largely due to the fact they like most Ferodo performance pads donโ€™t come with shims.

Iโ€™d noticed with the TRW pads that the shims would cause the pads to get โ€˜wedgedโ€™ in the caliper opening, think of a tapered slot and pushing a tapered peg into it, after a while it will jam itself in the opening because of the taper, exactly what was happening here, I was getting an off the pedal rotational squeak, only cured by taking out the TRW pads and using a Dremel to remove a fraction of material off the shim edges.

Anyway back to the 2500โ€™s

They fit in the 8 pot nicely with plenty of up / down room and still move side to side when not under piston pressures, so no chance of being stuck / kissing the disc face either.

d9eb3521f57876f389be1f440fffc6f0.jpg
44e6fea788830a6b64e911cc6d1f1dd3.jpg

Bedding in procedure.

Now the official Ferodo procedure is 25-30 x 4 sec braking applications using moderate foot pressure, pull over and visually look at the disc face to make sure they have evidence of pad contact but no glazing.

I followed this to the letter, however they were squealing like a bus

So I decided to up the ante a little.
4 trips up and down a quiet stretch of motorway, braking from 70 down to 40 mph followed by a trip up the same stretch to allow them to cool down.....

The difference once cooled down was night and day, squeal had pretty much gone.....

I then went for a spirited drive to see how they performed, I can honestly say these with the Reyland discs work well together, the more you use these pads the better the braking

f4b1e62e0825c9ad1d7cd4defb312059.jpg

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
ยฉ 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.