250 replies to this topic

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

My timing chain rattles on start up as many do.I can now get it to do it at will but it has to be done in a specific way..I`m convinced it`s oil viscosity related along with time.If I drive the car to get water hot AND oil up to 95*C then stop the engine and leave car for 4 hours .Then at the next start let engine idle for a few seconds then gently rev to 2000rpm.Rattle rattle rattle.Now if I only leave the car for 2 hours instead of 4 hours it won`t rattle.I think that in the time the car is left standing with hot oil it drains out of the tensioner slowly Once the tensioner is full the noise stops instantly. When the engine starts it runs on the low pressure pump first then switches to the high pressure pump.I have no idea how long the switchover takes or if it`s time or temp related.

Car`s been in to Audi twice now just for this and all they`ve done is change the oil.It didn`t make any difference,still rattles.

Johnny   G .This is your old car .I heard that you had the same problem .I`d be grateful if you could give me any info on what if anything Audi did.

I think the TPI 202899/2/2 only uses the high pressure pump all the time but when I mentioned this to Audi I got blank looks.I also get the impression that they don`t want to get involved with tensioner changes.

Apart from the above and possibly using a higher viscosity oil say 5w40 has anyone any ideas how to stop this awful rattle.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
It really does inspire confidence that these dealer techs know what they are doing.......

Sent from Cyberdyne systems

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Had this prob on my RS3...rattle on cold start-up , went away after 5/10 mins static warm up..(shouldn't have to sit and wait on a near 40 grand car)

It went into N.Wales Audi and they fixed it under warranty .....they said that they re-tensioned or replaced the chain system though I have my doughts ,, anyway 2 months down the line it has been ok.

Apparantly some of the TT`s (with same engine) have had similar problems).

I was told that Audi UK know about the problem so suggest you give them a ring because a lot of dealers don`t do this and have different ideas about solving / fixing problems , some dealers think that all problems can be sorted by a software tweek alone!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
The good old software update ! Replaces all mechanical thinking.

They don't seem to be able to think for themselves do they

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
What mileage you on?

Does sound like the tensioner needs adjusting or replacing.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
One things for sure.......
It's a sizeable job to even get at the tensioners/chain as its on the gearbox side of the engine.
f666a9ad71aaf07bbedaedaf9fbee1f6.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

28000 miles.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Neil

I've been looking at Elsawin

There is one main tensioner at the top and it sits just under the camshaft phasers

a9b556801bfde9fd6d22d583f10e3e36.jpg

The procedure to change it looks fairly straightforward, however a couple of special tools are needed and it looks like the coolant would need draining.

There is also another tensioner in the bottom half which would require gearbox removal

67bcaa2559975c534a71151a89ebe1ec.jpg

Edited by T-800, 05 August 2015 - 07:53 AM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Thanks for that info.The problem I have is persuading the dealer to actually do the job.It`s been in now 3 times for the same thing.Each time they say they can`t hear anything. So I drive up there jump in the car ,run it round to get the oil up to 90* ,leave it 3 hours go back and start it in front of them and they miraculously then can hear it.I take the car home for the weekend and it`s booked in again for the following Monday.Then I`m told they have to "rehear" the noise even though they`ve already heard it twice and agreed it`s the chain !!!!!  They changed the oil and filter last time even though it`s only done 2700 miles since last change.No difference. I mentioned the update I found on this forum which came out mid 2012 just to stop this noise and was told not to believe everything you see on forums.

I`m really pissed off. 

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
They are scared of the work involved Neil...... Especially if it's the bottom tensioner

Josh

Josh

If it's got **** or wheels it'll lose you money!

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Well my night got even better yesterday, got to the girlfriends and waited in the car but knocked the engine off. Started back up after 10mins of being of and the worst clicking noise came from the timing chain :(. Couple this with slowing down on the motorway last night also, from 70 to about 40 quickly and the vibration I had from the wheels, I think my discs are warping too :(. Booked in with Audi but I really don't want to send it anywhere near them utter morons :(.

Help me gents any suggestions as to how to get them to do the work without a big fight and who is the best dealership to send it into?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Good luck

Mines in Macclesfield as we speak

Josh

Josh

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Yours in for the chain Sean?

I've provisionally booked in with Stockport :/ very very nervous as they can't follow the simplest of instructions. Will you let me know how you get on buddy, I need somewhere that I can trust. I've even considered bypassing them completely and just seeing Andy at PSI. The car is nearly out of warranty anyway.... Tell him to fix it and at least I know (even if it is a whole new brake set up) it'll be right!!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
No not chain
Throttle position sensor

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Mine already had new starter motor as it wasn't disengaging properly so I was getting the fluttering noise on hot start up

Josh

Josh

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Could that be it? I'm hoping I'm wrong here but I can't see it being anything else tbh. I'm going to ring Audi booking and see what the plan is.

SK-RS3

SK-RS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
Mine had also been into a Audi dealer twice for a very similar problem and one of the techs taking it home still couldn't find problem ! I jump in it to take it home and bam there's the rattle but not a tech in sight 😡 cold start up fine after driving warm start up as the revs drop get a horrendous rattle !
Now I know thanks to you guys what I may be ( chain tensioner ) I will be sending it to a different Audi dealership in the vain hope they may actually fix it as it's really putting me off such otherwise a great car

marshy

marshy

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationDumfriesshire

Good luck

Mines in Macclesfield as we speak

Must be the day for it!
Mines in getting the brakes done too

AudiRS3

AudiRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Well my night got even better yesterday, got to the girlfriends and waited in the car but knocked the engine off. Started back up after 10mins of being of and the worst clicking noise came from the timing chain :(. Couple this with slowing down on the motorway last night also, from 70 to about 40 quickly and the vibration I had from the wheels, I think my discs are warping too :(. Booked in with Audi but I really don't want to send it anywhere near them utter morons :(.

Help me gents any suggestions as to how to get them to do the work without a big fight and who is the best dealership to send it into?

Get it booked in with Bolton Audi, I have had good experiences from the service department and recently had my front brakes replaced and they were only on the car for a month before judder!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I think it maybe time for some sort of 'other' action to get Audi to sort out these problems with the 8P RS3

The worrying thing I've noticed is more and more owners reporting start up noises 

Something needs looking into, why all of a sudden are certain RS3's exhibiting strange noises on start up ? 

If it is the timing chain / Tensioner / chain guide / sprocket or even something simpler like Oil it needs to be sorted..........

Go look at TTRS owners forums, similar issues being reported same engine.......

Watchdog could be a route..... social media Twitter / Facebook etc.........

Edited by T-800, 06 August 2015 - 12:37 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.