• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Johnnycarpetman

Johnnycarpetman

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNorth west
My mate has one and we swapped cars the other Sunday.
I was bored with the ford after 10 minutes and I struggled to get him out of my car.

dbm

dbm

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRed Rose County
Garage View Garage
It has to be said - the bit of your car you see the most is the inside, and any Audi beats any Ford hands-down.

I used to have a Subaru Impreza Turbo before I bought my first Audi (an 8L S3). The Impreza was only special when you were driving it at 9 tenths or above. The rest of the time it was just plasticky and agricultural. The S3 wasn't as dynamic, but a much, much nicer car to drive all the time. My gut feel is that if I had the Focus RS I would feel compelled to drive it like a nutter all the time to justify the purchase (and would end up in hospital or jail...). In the RS3 I feel lucky just pooteling along, it's such a nice place to be.

RS3 8V | RS3 8P

RS3rick

RS3rick

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
I'm struggling to see the issue here. Are people really comparing a £29k Focus interior to a £40k RS3? Yes that's an £11,000 difference so damn right the Audi should have a better interior and cabin! The Focus RS is one of, if not the best hot hatch I've driven and was certainly a lot better than either of my two 8P's or any 8V RS3 I've driven. The numb drive, understeer and crap brakes of the Audi are a huge huge let down and disappointment when paying a large price tag with a premium. Neither are bad cars, but one stands out across reviews and the other doesn't. The Focus RS is a bloody awesome car for the price tag.

Edited by RS3rick, 09 April 2017 - 09:35 PM.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

If you encounter under-steer in a RS3 8V you are driving like a tool + the drive is not "numb" and the brakes are perfectly acceptable on the road ... in 25k miles I've had absolutely no problems with them, fact.

I'd agree though that the FRS shouldn't be compared, the cars are not in the same league.

TX.

Edited by terminator x, 09 April 2017 - 11:29 PM.

Nardo RS4

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I'm struggling to see the issue here. Are people really comparing a £29k Focus interior to a £40k RS3? Yes that's an £11,000 difference so damn right the Audi should have a better interior and cabin! The Focus RS is one of, if not the best hot hatch I've driven and was certainly a lot better than either of my two 8P's or any 8V RS3 I've driven. The numb drive, understeer and crap brakes of the Audi are a huge huge let down and disappointment when paying a large price tag with a premium. Neither are bad cars, but one stands out across reviews and the other doesn't. The Focus RS is a bloody awesome car for the price tag.

And yet you still bought the 8P RS3

Yes the Focus RS for the money (34k specced up) is great value, but so is a Golf R....

Now all of sudden the RS3 a bad car because of its price tag.....

T16mbo

T16mbo

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
I had an ug mk2
I'd still now rather a mk2 over a mk3 . Too many issues and not man enough.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
Don't forget that to drive a performance Ford you need to wear cords and be able to chat about limited slip diffs while making Beavis and Butt head noises!

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

dbm

dbm

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRed Rose County
Garage View Garage

I'm struggling to see the issue here. Are people really comparing a £29k Focus interior to a £40k RS3?

We are, because many armchare experts (on other sites) will say 'Why did you buy an RS3 when you could have bought a (Focus RS / Golf R) for 10k less and it's (faster / better handling)'. So we didn't start the comparisons :)

The answer to this hypothetical question is, if you want the ultimate driving experience for 30k - buy a Caterham! If you want a great all round car then the RS3 beats all comers in my opinion.

RS3 8V | RS3 8P

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Price difference isn't that huge.....

This Focus 2016 RS is a smidge under 35k

http://www.ford.co.u...er=64335AA&id=1

This Audi RS3 £36,258

https://usedcars.aud.../l|12,1,t_geo,U

Or there's even this which I'd still have over the Focus........

https://usedcars.aud.../l|12,1,t_geo,U

Edited by T-800, 10 April 2017 - 07:39 AM.

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

i am not comparing the interior to the Audi - i mentioned the renaults etc - there is no reason for a £30k car to have such an appalling interior.

megane RS, civic type R, Golf R - all FAR better interiors around same price point....that was my point

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

We are, because many armchare experts (on other sites) will say 'Why did you buy an RS3 when you could have bought a (Focus RS / Golf R) for 10k less and it's (faster / better handling)'. So we didn't start the comparisons :)

The answer to this hypothetical question is, if you want the ultimate driving experience for 30k - buy a Caterham! If you want a great all round car then the RS3 beats all comers in my opinion.

BOOM! (drops the mic)

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMiddle England.

i am not comparing the interior to the Audi - i mentioned the renaults etc - there is no reason for a £30k car to have such an appalling interior.

megane RS, civic type R, Golf R - all FAR better interiors around same price point....that was my point

A 35K car is not a cheap car. Honda for example have done quite a nice interior for the new Civic. You even get a virtual cockpit as standard. Focus RS.... nasty interior and a nasty bit of transit van on the front.

Edited by coxeterj, 10 April 2017 - 02:19 PM.

Current cars: Audi RS3 8V and BMW M235i convertible.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

135i king

135i king

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
The interior is a let down, nobody can deny it and as people have said when compared to its price tag rivals its still the worst interior by a large margin..

It does however have the BEST AWD system available in the hot hatch market, and believe me it is damn good.

RS3rick

RS3rick

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

The interior is a let down, nobody can deny it and as people have said when compared to its price tag rivals its still the worst interior by a large margin..

It does however have the BEST AWD system available in the hot hatch market, and believe me it is damn good.

I hope you have the armour on and ready. Your going to need it.

RS3rick

RS3rick

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

A 35K car is not a cheap car. Honda for example have done quite a nice interior for the new Civic. You even get a virtual cockpit as standard. Focus RS.... nasty interior and a nasty bit of transit van on the front.

A civic? Have you seen the exterior of one! Quite possibly the worst lookigcar ever built. Horrendous like at Halfords stick one. Awful car

RS3rick

RS3rick

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

And yet you still bought the 8P RS3

Yes the Focus RS for the money (34k specced up) is great value, but so is a Golf R....

Now all of sudden the RS3 a bad car because of its price tag.....

The Focus RS was drove at the back end of last year after I had bought and sold the RS. If I had of drove it before hand then it wouldn't have been a question becuse the handling and drive ability of the Focus is fantastic. It's a thrilling drive from start to finish. I'm not starting an argument but have you drove one? If not go and arrange a test drive and you will see what I mean. One of the best handling cars you can buy for the money. All the reviews give it top marks. Yes the interior isn't exactly fantastic, but from a pure driving perspective, it's sheer brilliant.

Edited by RS3rick, 10 April 2017 - 09:17 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

The Focus RS was drove at the back end of last year after I had bought and sold the RS. If I had of drove it before hand then it wouldn't have been a question becuse the handling and drive ability of the Focus is fantastic. It's a thrilling drive from start to finish. I'm not starting an argument but have you drove one? If not go and arrange a test drive and you will see what I mean. One of the best handling cars you can buy for the money. All the reviews give it top marks. Yes the interior isn't exactly fantastic, but from a pure driving perspective, it's sheer brilliant.

Couldn't live with the interior to honest....
No matter how good it handles....

And it's a manual so no good for me.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Couldn't live with the interior to honest....
No matter how good it handles....

And it's a manual so no good for me.

For a daily driver I just couldn't live with a manual anymore... too much traffic etc. Manuals belong on caterhams and lotus's. Besides I wouldn't want the naff Ford gear lever touching my skin.

Why would i want to test drive one when I drive the best already  ;)

Besides when theres that hot girl who asks what you drive you would have to say 'errrrrrr I drive a ford focus'. and then she would get in and vomit all over the dashboard and your chances would be blown. :ambulance:

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
It'll be interesting to see how the 'I've gotta map it' brigade get on and whether that super duper AWD system can cope with a hike in power, it's not like it's not had issues already.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

It'll be interesting to see how the 'I've gotta map it' brigade get on and whether that super duper AWD system can cope with a hike in power, it's not like it's not had issues already.

I have read the car is already at its limit, especially with the rear diff issues..... Most don't produce the quoted 350 bhp either. It appears that they produce about 320 bhp and can produce 350 on overboost for short periods.

Do you know what I'm going to do? I am going to go and test drive one today.... take one for the team.... I will let you know what I think/catch.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.