• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Hi I’m having new brake calipers fitted under warranty but the new ones that have come in don’t have the balance weights on can these be swapped from the set I have on the car or should they be supplied new ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On an 8p?

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
Yeah 8p RS3 standard 4 pot calipers, the new ones don’t come with the weights

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
They're not balance weights they're effectively sounds dampeners.. they're not needed as don't make a blind bit of difference to brake squeal if you run standard OEM pads. It was Audis attempt at a fix but as we know the only sure fox is to change pads

Hi I’m having new brake calipers fitted under warranty but the new ones that have come in don’t have the balance weights on can these be swapped from the set I have on the car or should they be supplied new ?

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
Ok so I could just fit the new ones without these cheers Matt

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Yep just fit them as they are

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth
That's a very good machine, impressive stuff!

SteveCuz

SteveCuz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Guys, haven't been too active on the forums (used to be on forums daily when I had my RS6) but I have having some similar issues to others re the brakes.

I've owned my RS3 from new and had the extended 5 year warranty but I'm out of that now.

It's really only been recently that I've noticed a slight steering wheel shudder under light braking and hence why I've come to the forums before taking it to Audi.

Tried to pick up advice from this thread but there are so many replies that I'm not sure of the best way forward.

Sounds like the solution was replace the pads with aftermarket but is that only if the discs are new?

My discs are not that old and so have plenty of life yet and wasn't really what I was hoping to do.

Would someone might taking time to write a reply that summarises the Audi RS3 brake issue and what I need to do to fix it and if there is any recourse with Audi.

I forget everything that's been done over the years but I replaced the discs myself then was contacted by Audi that they could be replace under warranty so got them changed again and that is the set that are on it. Some other recall re ventilation or something but that was a long time ago.

What is the real cause of the shudder and if this common to all RS3s (again i've owned mine from new and now 70k but this is new to me)

Thanks

Steve

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Hi Guys, haven't been too active on the forums (used to be on forums daily when I had my RS6) but I have having some similar issues to others re the brakes.

I've owned my RS3 from new and had the extended 5 year warranty but I'm out of that now.

It's really only been recently that I've noticed a slight steering wheel shudder under light braking and hence why I've come to the forums before taking it to Audi.

Tried to pick up advice from this thread but there are so many replies that I'm not sure of the best way forward.

Sounds like the solution was replace the pads with aftermarket but is that only if the discs are new?

My discs are not that old and so have plenty of life yet and wasn't really what I was hoping to do.

Would someone might taking time to write a reply that summarises the Audi RS3 brake issue and what I need to do to fix it and if there is any recourse with Audi.

I forget everything that's been done over the years but I replaced the discs myself then was contacted by Audi that they could be replace under warranty so got them changed again and that is the set that are on it. Some other recall re ventilation or something but that was a long time ago.

What is the real cause of the shudder and if this common to all RS3s (again i've owned mine from new and now 70k but this is new to me)

Thanks

Steve

Steve.

Go to Alcon disc web site & they have all you need to know about this phenomena & is really helpful in the understanding of it mate 👍

Dell.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
How can I find out if I have had the revisions done on my car. Seen a few with “wavy” discs are they any better. Just had all new discs and pads before I bought the car. Just wondering if the “wavy” ones are better

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Wavy discs were never an option on 8p, and have been taken off some cars due to similar issues, read into that what you want.

On the spider( hub) is a stamped part number. Where it ends is a letter. B was first update, C the latest.

That said, I’ve never had an update, never had an issue, still on originals, with no letter on the end.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
What discs did guys go for in the end?

I have seen a lot of good things about Alcon, problem being I can only find one place stocking them at £1800! Yet I can see a few places selling 8V ones for £900

I have also seen the Vagbremtechnic ones on Awsome GTI that seem to be decent and not too eye watering at £1240

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

What discs did guys go for in the end?

I have seen a lot of good things about Alcon, problem being I can only find one place stocking them at £1800! Yet I can see a few places selling 8V ones for £900

I have also seen the Vagbremtechnic ones on Awsome GTI that seem to be decent and not too eye watering at £1240

Had a look and mine are the “c” revision of the discs and I don’t seem to be having a problem, like I said above though they was fitted just before I bought the car with new pads. Will give it a couple of months and see how they are getting on though

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Had a look and mine are the “c” revision of the discs and I don’t seem to be having a problem, like I said above though they was fitted just before I bought the car with new pads. Will give it a couple of months and see how they are getting on though

Nearly bought a set of rev C discs last night on ebay but I think a set of handed floating discs are the way to go for me. That way I know both will be running at the same temperature if anything.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 05 March 2018 - 08:56 AM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Nearly bought a set of rev C discs last night on ebay but I think a set of handed floating discs are the way to go for me. That way I know both will be running at the same temperature if anything.

Yeah, tbh I don’t really drive mine that much mainly weekends. Can’t be arsed moving the other cars on the front and getting it out the garage during the week so just use it on a weekend so they won’t see that much use but when I have used it the breaks seem good. They are just as good if not better than the 4 pot Brembos I have got on my other car

lowbug

lowbug

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, bit of a odd one on my 8P.. it seems to have an issue with the rear drivers side. I can't see anything wrong, pads look good as do the discs ( only a small
lip) but lightly press the brake and no sound, even press and hold the brakes to a slow stop and again no issues. Put it under load or do an immediate stop and there is a "grinding" noise from the rear on that side. Any ideas? :(

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Needed to replace the front pads - so went with FDS1334 DS Performance Brake Pads.

Decided to take the opportunity to get the disks skimmed to with a Hunter machine.

So happy - night and day breaking performance with the skimmer saying “disks warped to bu@@ery” ... and I’m not heavy on the brakes ..

Apparently many disks are not true even from new !

Anyway - I’d definitely recommend a slim to see if helps

45bvtc

45bvtc

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Apparently many disks are not true even from new !

Not true, it's just friction material deposit onto the brake-disc surface due to under braking

And the inside brake-disk surface (the surface you cannot see and rarely check) suffers more than the outer surface

Need to brake HARDER with OEM discs and pads or change to a more recently developed Audi/Ferodo OEM materials like Ferodo Eco-Friction Green

DO NOT spend mega £s changing discs...

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.