• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

That's the pads for you, they bind to the discs with ease Even after washing the car and blow drying the discs and pads mine will bind and I have noticed particularly in the cold mornings these pads offer no retardation whatsoever but plenty of grinding noise

I have noticed that with mine - standard Audi pads. The first few applications produce lots of grinding noise, albeit with redardation too  ;), and not being a mechanical man I figured it was the pads warming up. Do you guys reckon that Redstuff pads will fix this?

Jmcnamee98

Jmcnamee98

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
Duke3D this makes interesting reading. I have had a number of brake issues noise vibration etc and steering wheel vibrations on my RS3 since replacing the front factory tyres. Audi just keep putting new brakes on it which has its advantages but is inconvenient at best.

Did you have the new discs skimmed and do you believe it's this that has resolved your issues or did you just fit the new discs with RedStuff pads and the RedStuff pads not decomposing on the discs giving the discs a clear surface free of run out that's resolved the issues? If you did have them skimmed do you mind me asking what this cost? I guess this would needed to be weighed up with the fact skimming the discs will remove up to 0.5 mm from the discs so up to 25% of their useable life. Do you think skimming new discs on the car which balances them to the hub is the only or best way to eliminate the vibration you were experiencing between 70 - 80 mph or would new discs with RedStuff pads which don't leave pad deposits on the discs be as effective.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I had vibrations at 75 mph took the car to be load force balanced at Stafford Audi and that cured it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmcnamee98

Jmcnamee98

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

I had vibrations at 75 mph took the car to be load force balanced at Stafford Audi and that cured it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost count on how many times this has been tried on both sets of wheels on my car. It improves the vibration but does not completely resolve it. 

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

I have noticed that with mine - standard Audi pads. The first few applications produce lots of grinding noise, albeit with redardation too  ;), and not being a mechanical man I figured it was the pads warming up. Do you guys reckon that Redstuff pads will fix this?

I don't get any binding with the Red Stuff pads at all so far. With the old pads and disks it sounded like it was grinding all the time and then the pads stuck to the disk every time it was stationary for a while. Driving away every morning there was a definite clunk as the pads were pried from the disc.

With the new discs and Red Stuff pads everything it sooooo much quieter, smoother and safer. Car actually stops now
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Very interesting Duke, exactly the issues i seem to be experiencing. It is quite clear what my next course of action needs to be, many thanks.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Duke3D this makes interesting reading. I have had a number of brake issues noise vibration etc and steering wheel vibrations on my RS3 since replacing the front factory tyres. Audi just keep putting new brakes on it which has its advantages but is inconvenient at best.

Did you have the new discs skimmed and do you believe it's this that has resolved your issues or did you just fit the new discs with RedStuff pads and the RedStuff pads not decomposing on the discs giving the discs a clear surface free of run out that's resolved the issues? If you did have them skimmed do you mind me asking what this cost? I guess this would needed to be weighed up with the fact skimming the discs will remove up to 0.5 mm from the discs so up to 25% of their useable life. Do you think skimming new discs on the car which balances them to the hub is the only or best way to eliminate the vibration you were experiencing between 70 - 80 mph or would new discs with RedStuff pads which don't leave pad deposits on the discs be as effective.

Once I found out I had to replace my front disks I decided to see how things felt with the new setup before getting them skimmed. So far all of the problems I was having (and more as it turned out) have gone so I haven't had the new discs skimmed as there is no point at the moment. If I start experiencing any symptoms of imbalance again in the future I will get the discs pro-cut skimmed on the car to see if the problems go away. I fitted the new discs and I had a hell of a problem removing the old discs as they were seized on to the hub. No amount of hitting them with a club hammer moved them at all. In the end I had to heat them up to expand them before they would release from the hubs. There was a slight amount of corrosion between the disc and hub surface but not enough to cause that amount of seizure. To me it looked more like the the affect of the discs overheating compared to the hub.

Its unfortunate that my old discs were too far gone to be skimmed to confirm pro-cut skimming is a viable option to cure disk problems caused by Audi pads. FYI pro-cut skimming will cost @ £50 per disk on the RS3 370mm discs. Add to that the cost of new pads (not from Audi). In my case I saw that worth doing on my old discs (£100 skimming vs £460 replacing) to prove a point of unbalanced discs. As it turned out they were so shagged they were not salvageable.

If anything this shows what can happen if you retain Audi supplied pads as most likely your discs will expire long before their expected lifespan. My disks measured over 31mm toward the outside of the disc but just over 30mm in the grooves ground in by the pads. That just isn't right on a car at under 27K miles. My new discs with the Red Stuff pads are smooth as a baby's bum and hopefully will stay that way.

I would be really interested to hear from other RS3 owners who have had to replace their front discs due to them wearing out and what mileage you got out of them. All of the people I have heard having their discs replaced have been done under warranty for squealing or have been upgraded to 3rd party parts by the owners preference.

Edited by Duke3D, 18 January 2015 - 09:58 PM.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Kelza

Kelza

Elite Club Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCumbria
Hi there I've had the 47i6 update and no squealing brakes here ,,where done over a year ago ,ok in fairness I've done about 4k miles since I bought the car in November 2012...

sawda

sawda

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationNorth London
Interesting read this.... Before I bought my car from Audi last month I knew there was a break issue. After reading this it appears virtually everyone has an issue with it. Audi tells me I have 30.5mm disc remaining but 13mm on pads.. you got me thinking about red stuff but is the remaing disc enough?

To be fair I havnt experience d any problems with my discs at all so far. I took it down Santa pod last weekend and the breaks seemed fine... Anyone else had good experiences? Still early days I know but is 30.5 mm disc something to be worried about? I was Thinking to get Audi to changed them as I know at 30mm that's when they are recommended.

Edited by sawda, 19 January 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Jmcnamee98

Jmcnamee98

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
At 30.5 mm you have 25% life in the discs this is within tollerance so I wouldn't do anything just yet also probably not worth putting new pads on discs that worn. Unless Audi are going to replace them under warranty I would use what you have left then put RedStuff on new standard discs or preferably Dave Brown Vagbretechnic loba discs on Pagids or another pad that will work well if your doing things like Santa Pod.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Interesting read this.... Before I bought my car from Audi last month I knew there was a break issue. After reading this it appears virtually everyone has an issue with it. Audi tells me I have 30.5mm disc remaining but 13mm on pads.. you got me thinking about red stuff but is the remaing disc enough?

To be fair I havnt experience d any problems with my discs at all so far. I took it down Santa pod last weekend and the breaks seemed fine... Anyone else had good experiences? Still early days I know but is 30.5 mm disc something to be worried about? I was Thinking to get Audi to changed them as I know at 30mm that's when they are recommended.

How many miles has your car done for interest? If your discs are in reasonable condition and not causing any problems then as Jmcnamee98 says they have some life left although bear in mind they have used 75% of their usable lifespan. You couldn't get them skimmed as this would take .3 to .5mm of material off the disc putting you almost at their minimum allowed thickness.
If your disc surface is as rutted and grooved as mine were then I agree with Jmcnamee98 it's not worth fitting new pads. If your disc surface is flat and smooth then you could give Red Stuff pads a trial but you will be looking to replace the discs and pads pretty soon in the future once the Red Stuff have bedded themselves into your old discs so you would be better waiting for new discs before fitting Red Stuff..

Bear in mind since fitting new discs I have found out my old discs were causing a number of other non braking related issues as they were so out of balance due to the uneven wear. With the new discs all of the following issues have gone away:

Wheel wobble between 70-80.
Vagueness in the steering pulling left or right perceived as alignment problems Noticed during road camber changes even over slight humps in the road changing lanes on motorway etc.
Vagueness in the steering when car under significant power perceived as slight torque steer either in straight ahead driving or when steering at the same time.
Excessive Front suspension patter over uneven road surfaces like the average B road.

Soon after I bought my car Audi inspected the brakes and said they were fine with over 70% wear left. They were wrong, very wrong. My discs were shagged when I bought the car causing imbalance to both front hub, disc, wheel assemblies which was affecting steering/ suspension feel and feedback and breaking efficiency.

Edited by Duke3D, 20 January 2015 - 02:33 AM.

sawda

sawda

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationNorth London
Thank you both... As breaks appear to be working fine will leave it for now but something to consider come changing time. Also car has done 19,000 miles at the moment

tickford97

tickford97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Help anyone - I cannot seem to locate a pair of EBC Redstuff front pads anywhere, lots of rear pads in stock, but as yet, I have been unable to locate the red stuff anywhere.

Any pointers anyone?

Also, some places have been quoting over a £1000 for pads - whats that all about, the retailers don't seem to be able to explain it and the price does not include discs!!!!

Its as if Audi are trying to pull you back to them for replacements.

Jmcnamee98

Jmcnamee98

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
EBC part no DP32070C are for the TTRS, available in the US and are listed as coming soon on many UK websites. They should be around £100 if you have seen them for £1000 this will be a website not wanting to sell them as they don't actually have any stock. I am currently speaking to a company in the US to see if a group buy of the TTRS pads is viable. The TTRS pads should be compatitable with the Audi wear sensors.

Most people who are currently fitting the RedStuff pads are using EBC part no DP31210C there are Mitsubishi/Subaru fitment that use tha same Brembo caliper but are not compatitable with the Audi wear sensor. These pads are readily available in the UK but you will need to modify the wear sensor or code it out if you fit these pads. There are a couple of threads telling you how to do this if you search but personally I would prefer to keep the wear sensor functioning so will be trying the TTRS pads from the US at some stage or waiting until EBC offer these pads in the UK. It looks as though they will be offered in the UK at some stage but everyone who lists them as coming soon in the UK has no stock or indication of when they may do.

CarrG

CarrG

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
Camskill have the front pads on offer at the moment.

Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Cruise - High Beam Ass - Privacy - Elec Mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Light & Rain Pack

VW California GP 180 DSG - "Candy"!

racekaby

racekaby

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Help anyone - I cannot seem to locate a pair of EBC Redstuff front pads anywhere, lots of rear pads in stock, but as yet, I have been unable to locate the red stuff anywhere.
Any pointers anyone?
Also, some places have been quoting over a £1000 for pads - whats that all about, the retailers don't seem to be able to explain it and the price does not include discs!!!!
Its as if Audi are trying to pull you back to them for replacements.

I spoke to the technical manager at EBC who explained that the yellow stuff pads were better than the red stuff and so they never offered the red stuff in the UK as a replacement front pad. Quote was what is the point when they are so similar except that the yellow stuff are slightly better. He explained you can get a rear pad in red stuff to fit and there is a front that will work but not specifically for the RS3. Actually said that the one people are using was a few mm longer and might cause additional brake squeal?
Just had yellow stuff fitted on mine front and rear so will see if the braking improves!

Also they don't make replacement front discs as not geared up for this type of design

Cheers

funkygibbo

funkygibbo

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationJust Outside The Box

Just as a follow up to this discussion I ordered a set of Yellowstuff front and rear pads from EBC which according to them are a direct OEM replacement which includes keeping the fitments of the wear sensor.

Cost of £184.99 delivered within 48 hours. Hopefully no issues with fitting, will update once they have arrived.

Link if anyone interested     http://www.ebc-onlin...catalogue/AUDI/

Cheers

Gibbo

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

I will be interested to hear how they perform Gibbo

sawda

sawda

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationNorth London
Same... Interested in a set of discs too when the time comes... Reckon I got about 6 months left on mine, not sure if I should stick to oem or not

funkygibbo

funkygibbo

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationJust Outside The Box

OK, ordered yellowstuff pads from ECB direct on Tuesday afternoon and they arrived Thursday morning, pretty good service me thinks.

Replaced the pads this morning with a mechanic mate, with no problems in fitting.

Just gone for a quick run to bed them in, and first impression is just WOW ! Haven't had chance to proper test on full beans yet, but so much more responsive, giving you much more confidence :-)

With added benefit of hint of yellow sneaking through callipers....

Will update when had proper road test.

Cheers

Gibbo

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.