109 replies to this topic

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

OK I know another brake thread, but really you need to read this. Apologies it’s a long rant but bear with it.

Firstly a potted history of my time with my RS3. I purchased it end of July last year not from an Audi dealer. An 11 plate with @ 20K on the clock and about a week of Audi 3 year warranty left. First thing I did was book it into an Audi dealer for a check over and they replaced the brake fluid as per 3 year maintenance schedule. Report I got back said front brakes had 70% left. I assume they were talking about the pads as discs aren't usually an issue at this age.

I had already read a lot about the brake issues on these cars before purchasing. Mine had its original discs and I assume pads as well. So no 47i6 changes had been made. No B suffix on the disc rotors or bobbins on the calipers. I didn't have any squeal but the breaking seemed fairly pants as many others had noted. The disc surface was fairly poor and uneven and soon after purchasing the car I noticed the usual associated uneven braking through the wheel even at low speed almost like the brakes were binding. This culminated in a particular extreme brown trouser moment applying only moderate brake pressure slowing down from 140+. The car started slewing from one side to the other as one side gripped and then let go then the other side did the same and repeated on and on. No ABS triggered during all of this as I wasn't braking that hard. Much sawing at the wheel to keep it in a straight line later I was definite I had to get this sorted. I took out extended Audi warranty when I bought the car but after reading threads on this and other forums with other people reporting high speed braking instability and Audi doing nothing about it and saying it was expected I didn't bother trying to get Audi look at it. Anyway many other threads have convinced me the 47i6 fixes do absolutely nothing to resolve braking issues on these cars.

After reading 45btvc's thread on ASN it seemed EBC Red Stuff pads are far more up to the requirements on these cars so I ordered some. However I didn't fit them as I wanted to get the discs skimmed on the car using the Pro-Cut system to give a fresh flat surface for the new pads and also cure any brake disc imbalance into the bargain. Like others I also have the 70-80 mph wheel wobble which I felt sure was due to out of balance disc rotors not wheel imbalance.

Anyway due to being busy at work and the other usual excuses I didn’t get around to doing any of this until the beginning of this month when the pad wear sensor triggered (wrongly as it turned out but that’s on another thread). With over 26K now on the clock I checked the disc thickness as best I could and read over 31mm near the outside of the disc (new these discs are 32mm with the minimum allowable being 30mm) so worth skimming as it only takes a few thou. This would be significantly cheaper than replacing the discs for me to prove if it is the discs causing wheel wobble and other associated problems that I will go into later. However after I got to my nearest Pro-Cut garage on Friday last they told me nearer the centre they had measured the discs at just over 30mm so not worth skimming.

Needing the brakes sorting quickly I called around some Audi dealers and thanks to Reading Audi Parts dept. for getting a set in for the next day (Saturday) so I could change them myself.

Here is my offside disc. notice the deep groove toward the centre. This is what made the disc too thin to skim. The nearside disc was in the same poor condition.

IMG_0274_zpsd04ded9c.jpg

Here is what caused the damage. Audi spec Pagid pads. Notice the spots on the pads. These are what scored my discs so badly. They look like how the pad material is attached to the metal backing due to the regular pattern on both pads. As you can see there was still sufficient material left on the pad above their minimum of 5mm for this not to have happened. If you have these pads fitted to your car I would personally recommend you get the replaced with something more suitable as soon as possible before they eat your discs.

IMG_0275_zps73156be1.jpg

IMG_0282_zps20fa3ff5.jpg

With the disc off the inside surface was in worse condition than the outside. Looks like the inside pad does most of the work. this was the same on the nearside disc. Look at the wear toward the outside of the disc.

IMG_0285_zps6d5a4d52.jpg

So my findings with the new discs/ Red Stuff pads so far:

Wheel wobble at 70-80 now gone. I know some people are having their wheels balanced on the car using Hunter systems to cure this problem but you are probably balancing the wheel to cure unbalanced brake discs. If you get the discs running aligned to the hub using Pro-Cut skimming they should effectively be balanced. If the rotation of a Hunter balanced wheel is changed by being rotated when the wheel is off the car during a service etc and it’s the brake disc causing the problem then you will most likely unbalance the wheel/ disc/ hub relationship again.

General braking Sooo improved. No binding, smooth, progressive and much better pedal feedback.

I mentioned earlier about some other associated problems hopefully being cured with skimming my original discs. Well since I have owned the car I was very disappointed with the general front-end handling. I was getting quite a lot of suspension patter from the front, imprecise steering feel and a weird slight pull to the left or right depending on road camber. I was suspecting geometry problems or worse case suspension failure or wear. Well after changing the discs all these problems have gone. I really cant convey how much better the car is to drive. Feels like my old 2006 A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback Quattro SE, loved that car as the suspension was so sorted. Cant believe crappy discs could cause so many problems.

I’ll see how things go with the new discs with the Red Stuff pads. Hopefully there wont be uneven wear causing some of these problems to return but I will be straight back to the Pro-Cut garage to get them aligned (and balanced) to the hub if I get the slightest sniff of a problem.

Edited by Duke3D, 12 January 2015 - 08:25 PM.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage
Those brake discs are in a shocking state and as you say it looks like it's the pads that have inflicted the damage.The Hunter road force wheel balancer doesn't balance the wheel on the car therefore would have no effect on imbalanced discs.

Vito

Vito

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationPreston Lancashire
Garage View Garage

If yuo don't mind me asking Duke3D, how much did Audi charge you for the new set of discs?

Posted Image

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Those brake discs are in a shocking state and as you say it looks like it's the pads that have inflicted the damage.The Hunter road force wheel balancer doesn't balance the wheel on the car therefore would have no effect on imbalanced discs.

My mistake I thought the Hunter system did the balancing of the wheel in situ on the car. As you say this makes my earlier comments about Hunter balanced wheels incorrect but if someone is getting wheel wobble and standard balancing doesn't cure it then suspect the discs as well.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

If yuo don't mind me asking Duke3D, how much did Audi charge you for the new set of discs?

Vito, no problem. They cost me £460.90 in total for the pair. I rang a few dealers and got the same price from each one so this is Audi's standard price. I couldn't find anywhere to supply them for next day outside of Audi and couldn't find them cheaper elsewhere either.

Vito

Vito

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationPreston Lancashire
Garage View Garage

Thanks, I have got a set of redstuff ready to go on the car but I also wanted to have the discs skimmed first and wanted to know what to expect just in case they can't be done...

Posted Image

45bvtc

45bvtc

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

REDSTUFF in my own experience is far more brake disc friendly than the Pagid/Brembo/Audi brake pads.  Everything about them for me is positive as they're so much better than the OE items; there's no way I'd change back...

Fit REDSTUFF to the rears too Duke3D; you now know it'd make sense...

CarrG

CarrG

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

All very interesting!

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy EBC REDSTUFF.

Looking online you have to request a price.

Dont think I've done a 1000 miles since my front brakes were replaced in full last year.

Edited by CarrG, 13 January 2015 - 11:30 AM.

Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Cruise - High Beam Ass - Privacy - Elec Mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Light & Rain Pack

VW California GP 180 DSG - "Candy"!

45bvtc

45bvtc

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Try EBC Direct and/or Camskill...

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

REDSTUFF in my own experience is far more brake disc friendly than the Pagid/Brembo/Audi brake pads.  Everything about them for me is positive as they're so much better than the OE items; there's no way I'd change back...

Fit REDSTUFF to the rears too Duke3D; you now know it'd make sense...

I bought Red Stuff rear pads as the same time as the front as that was always going to happen. Obviously my priority was to get the front sorted with the problems I was having. I think I will be changing the rear disks at the same time when I fit the pads. My existing rear disks aren't in bad shape as the fronts were but I would like to start the Red Stuff's on a fresh disk surface and its not cost effective to skim the rears as it would cost more than new disks in most cases. The drilled MTEC's you have fitted are looking good to me although their website picture of the 1471's show a flat hub on the disk not the belled hub to look similar to the original Audi disks like the ones in your pictures. Is the website picture not representative of the disks they supply or I am looking at the wrong disks?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I bought Red Stuff rear pads as the same time as the front as that was always going to happen. Obviously my priority was to get the front sorted with the problems I was having. I think I will be changing the rear disks at the same time when I fit the pads. My existing rear disks aren't in bad shape as the fronts were but I would like to start the Red Stuff's on a fresh disk surface and its not cost effective to skim the rears as it would cost more than new disks in most cases. The drilled MTEC's you have fitted are looking good to me although their website picture of the 1471's show a flat hub on the disk not the belled hub to look similar to the original Audi disks like the ones in your pictures. Is the website picture not representative of the disks they supply or I am looking at the wrong disks?

Here you go a spare set. PM me if of interest.

e15fac5a6cc61abd29e149a85bec4062.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45bvtc

45bvtc

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

You are on the right page Duke3D with 1471.

MTEC don't actually list brake discs for the RS3 only the TTRS but they're different anyway.  I gave MTEC a drawing of BLUEY's original brake discs for them to identify which they did and so I ordered and fitted - only when I had them fitted did I post them as an alternative.  These MTEC discs are the same as the 2005/12 Audi S3 (and others) 

I've already written to another member with a pair of these discs to suggest he contact you...

Your original post here:  I've seen that scoring before on these RS3 and TTRS front discs and in every case the scoring aligns with the 'pegs' in the friction material...

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

These RS3 FRONT brake problems have been going on for years with Audi not developing a sucsessful fix,they deny a problem exists and some unfortunate owners have had to foot the LARGE BILL themselves for complete front brake assemblies .The pads are the problem and are causing the damage on the discs which then are causing other problems and need to be replaced at further expense.People who are experiencing these problems need to contact Audi UK  and stand your ground the problem is not an isolated case as Audi would like you to believe, the FRONT brakes are not fit for purpose and Audi should replace them FREE of CHARGE under WARRANTY.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Your original post here:  I've seen that scoring before on these RS3 and TTRS front discs and in every case the scoring aligns with the 'pegs' in the friction material...

Absolutely agree. Never seen anything like it before. Considering my 2006 A3 2.0 TFSI Sporback SE Quattro I sold when buying the RS3 still had its original front disk rotors with 99000 miles on the clock and they were worn but in A1 useable condition just requiring a couple of pad changes in the lifetime of the car.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

These RS3 FRONT brake problems have been going on for years with Audi not developing a sucsessful fix,they deny a problem exists and some unfortunate owners have had to foot the LARGE BILL themselves for complete front brake assemblies .The pads are the problem and are causing the damage on the discs which then are causing other problems and need to be replaced at further expense.People who are experiencing these problems need to contact Audi UK  and stand your ground the problem is not an isolated case as Audi would like you to believe, the FRONT brakes are not fit for purpose and Audi should replace them FREE of CHARGE under WARRANTY.

Unfortunately mine is out of the 3 year Audi warranty but is on a 4th year extended. I did enquire with Audi but with over 25K on the clock they considered this general wear and tear therefore not a warranty issue. Absolutely agree with you though more to the extent that unless a collective group of affected Audi owners raised a class action against them to provide a fix they will continue to try and avoid the problem as they are currently.

45bvtc

45bvtc

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
My first brake issue began at 1250miles and, following one visit to Stafford Audi went home and sorted the issue myself.

I reluctantly had the 47i6 upgrade at 5921miles (personally persuaded by the then MD of Audi UK who swiftly left the country as I'd threatened to be on to him should the upgrade not work) and amazingly at 1250miles the same issues re-appeared: resolved that again with MINTEX anti-squeal shims. Have to say that I re-fitted the mass dampers with zero effect.

Did the research and decided on REDSTUFF; and 3000miles on I'll not be bothering Audi again....

Like I say, I've heard of different friction materials and even a 'proper' alternative but for me and mine REDSTUFF is in and is staying in...

ONLY recommending as I've found myself.

Ref Audi: I don't really care what Audi do now with the RS3/TTRS brakes as I've ZERO confidence they appreciate the difference between road going and Nurburgring 'track' brakes; and it's 'only' the roadgoing I'm interested in. For a 'fact' Audi UK follow ONLY! what Audi GmbH tell 'em; period! And that from Mr. Martin Sander ex MD of Audi UK on 12 July 2013.

Edited by 45bvtc, 15 January 2015 - 03:27 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
️+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

I got my front discs replaced just a short while ago and they are still fairly nice to use. However sometimes they just seem to do their own thing and that's not good for confidence.

Given the wise words here I have got myself some Redstuff pads and will have them on the car as soon as I can. I recall reading something about wear indicators - any gen on these? What else do I need?

(While I remember, got back from a week away from my beloved and for about 15 miles I thought the disks were completely knackered. It took a long time to rub off whatever sh*t was on them. Any hi per car I have had in the past would take one maybe two brake applications and back to normal - not the RS.)

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

That's the pads for you, they bind to the discs with ease Even after washing the car and blow drying the discs and pads mine will bind and I have noticed particularly in the cold mornings these pads offer no retardation whatsoever but plenty of grinding noise

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
On the wear indicator all I did was cut the end off then solder the 2 ends together and tape up out of harms way. Simple.

Although I believe you can go into the one of the modules with VCDS and code out the wear sensor.

Obviously you need a decent trolley jack / axel stands / wooden block or rubber jack pad for protecting the cill/pinch weld when jacking up.

Pads are held in by 2 pins which you'll need to tap out and remove the anti-rattle spring, then you can pull out the existing pads.

Ok so Been into instruments 17 and looked at special functions II and strangely enough my brake wear indicator is already turned off

Edited by veneeringman, 16 January 2015 - 05:30 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.