new member looking for an RS3 8p

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

hi there I'm a newbie to the forum, don't own an RS3 yet but been and looked at a couple and I'm just wondering if anyone could share some advise on what to look for at a viewing. i have currently been and looked at 2 cars as I'm quite fussy on what spec i want. The only thing is the two i have been and looked at when i got there and viewed the car the seller has told me they have had new engines one at a price of £6k one at a price of £9k both cars needing new engines due to running too much power and not being able to handle it, is this common?? Both cars were advertised as standard but when i got there i soon realised they were modified and mapped, which is fair enough I'm just a bit worried about buying a modified one after looking at these two and them having engine issues.

Im just looking for advise on what to look for when viewing as in anything specific, i have been doing a bit of research and see that there is "Audi updates" that should be done to things like brakes but to be quite honest I'm clueless when it comes to these cars coming from a vauxhall.

appreciate any advise you could share TIA 

tom

this is a pic of my current car "the disastra"

Attached File  IMG_2584.JPG   110.15K   13 downloads

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Tom

Very few standard RS3s out there these days, including myself. The problem is there such a tuneable engine which can produce eye watering numbers which makes them an affordable supercar.

It depends if the previous owners were true enthusiasts or the moment they encountered an issue jump ship and run.

If you want to play safe it may be ideal to buy a standard car with a bit of warranty on it to get use to the car and how it runs before contemplating any mods. Whereas buying a previously tuned engine may cause you some headaches especially as there are many components available to swap out to tune. Again this all depends what route the previous owner went down.

Myself I bought the car (over paid) but I knew what I was getting. Had the car 18 months with warranty before deciding to modify. I’m now at a point where I know what’s been done, what fluids have been changed but it takes time. I keep all my original receipts as if and when I do sell car I can produce a portfolio to next owner to show everything that this car has been through which sometimes is better than producing an Audi service book.

Hope you find what you want as the RS is such a special car.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

I'm the same (would rather do it myself) I'm pretty hands on and like to do it myself because then i know what has been done for peace of mind. my astra is tuned and i done everything to it myself from changing breaks to forging the engine. its just the thing of the two i looked at they both needed new engines. one of them was tuned by a company called MRC, i did a bit of research before viewing and by the looks of it they are one of the best companies for a map so couldn't understand the engine going boom it had only 27k miles on the clock too. 

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
MRC mine along with a lot of others are tuned by MRC.
Ring them up and ask them for details of previous work and discuss your situation about seeing the car. May be more to it than that.

Edited by JayRS3, 21 January 2018 - 02:14 PM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
I might do that, the dealer only told me because I noticed the EML light was on so questioned it and he said he picked it up had it two days and it exploded and he put a new engine in for £6k doing my research though £6k seems a bit too cheap for the price of an engine and labour. The 2nd one I seen was breathing from the dipstick (always told that isn’t a good sign) when I questioned that got the same response, had too much power and it blew up. I have seen another one in Aylesbury but it’s like 3 hours away. Says it’s standard Daytona grey Alu pack and wingbacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
As Jay says.....
Look around for one that’s not been messed with, difficult I know, if it were me I’d over pay to find an unmolested example.

Far too many out there that have been played with, then hammered in a short space of time, then when the owner can’t afford the bills put back to standard and moved on for some poor sap to inherit a bucket load of issues.

It always tickled me that people would buy an RS3 then their first post would be ‘gonna get it remapped’ like it’s woefully under powered or something

The 8P is a cracking car, but ownership can be somewhat tainted by inheriting someone’s badly done tinkering.

The 9k and 6k engines will be used units as a new one is 15k at least from Audi then there’s 3.5k bill to fit the thing.

As Jay says find a good one with some decent warranty and you can enjoy it without issue.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

My 8p had a new engine (warranty) 18k from Audi 

not sure how they got a new one for 6000, must have been a diesel !

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

My 8p had a new engine (warranty) 18k from Audi

not sure how they got a new one for 6000, must have been a diesel !

Etka lists a new 2.5 engine as 15k + vat Roy.
Then there’s fitting cost.

As you know from experience these aren’t cheap.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

As Jay says.....
Look around for one that’s not been messed with, difficult I know, if it were me I’d over pay to find an unmolested example.

Far too many out there that have been played with, then hammered in a short space of time, then when the owner can’t afford the bills put back to standard and moved on for some poor sap to inherit a bucket load of issues.

It always tickled me that people would buy an RS3 then their first post would be ‘gonna get it remapped’ like it’s woefully under powered or something

The 8P is a cracking car, but ownership can be somewhat tainted by inheriting someone’s badly done tinkering.

The 9k and 6k engines will be used units as a new one is 15k at least from Audi then there’s 3.5k bill to fit the thing.

As Jay says find a good one with some decent warranty and you can enjoy it without issue.

This is what I thought that’s why I left them alone you never know what’s wrong with a second hand engine, like I say I’m going looking at one this weekend coming it’s arround 3 hours away from where I live so I hope everything is ok and good and it may be the one with any luck

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

This is what I thought that’s why I left them alone you never know what’s wrong with a second hand engine, like I say I’m going looking at one this weekend coming it’s arround 3 hours away from where I live so I hope everything is ok and good and it may be the one with any luck

It’s worth finding a good un to start with.......

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

It’s worth finding a good un to start with.......

Yeah if I’m paying £20k+ on a car I want it to be right can’t be arsed with buying a car then going through loads of trouble with it. Even if it does have warranty

DaniieRussell

DaniieRussell

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire
Me and my partner spent 6 months looking and we travelled 200 miles to get the right one. Like yourself the spec was a big thing for us and bucket seats were a must.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Where abouts are you Tom ?

If you have any details you could post on here as we have lots of people on here it could be an old members car and then you could get 

the info you need,,, 

This has happened a good few times on here and it has been a gold mine for the new owner

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Where abouts are you Tom ?

If you have any details you could post on here as we have lots of people on here it could be an old members car and then you could get
the info you need,,,

This has happened a good few times on here and it has been a gold mine for the new owner

I’m in newton Le willows in the north west in between Liverpool and Manchester car is in Aylesbury here is a link for it https://rover.ebay.c...tm/292410176203

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I’m in newton Le willows in the north west in between Liverpool and Manchester car is in Aylesbury here is a link for it https://rover.ebay.c...tm/292410176203

I take it Buckets are a must have then ?
Does narrow your choice down a bit.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

I take it Buckets are a must have then ?
Does narrow your choice down a bit.

Yeah they are a must I’m afraid, I thought about buying a pair of them separate but they are like 2.5k which I don’t want to spent so. If I can get a car already that’s what I would prepare to do. What do you think of the one in the link?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Yeah they are a must I’m afraid, I thought about buying a pair of them separate but they are like 2.5k which I don’t want to spent so. If I can get a car already that’s what I would prepare to do. What do you think of the one in the link?

Certainly looks well in the pictures.

What sort of warranty do they offer ?

Google doesn’t bring anything bad about the seller up at least........

Edited by T-800, 21 January 2018 - 05:54 PM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Certainly looks well in the pictures.

What sort of warranty do they offer ?

Google doesn’t bring anything bad about the seller up at least........

I’m going to give them a ring tomorrow to speak to them about it, would t buy any without a warranty

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I’m going to give them a ring tomorrow to speak to them about it, would t buy any without a warranty

It’ll be a third party warranty i’d imagine so you’d need to examine what exclusions / terms etc it imposes.
Engine / Gearbox are main items you want covering......

Make sure it hasn’t got the timing rattle some cars have had as it’s a 3k fix because box has to come out.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

It’ll be a third party warranty i’d imagine so you’d need to examine what exclusions / terms etc it imposes.
Engine / Gearbox are main items you want covering......

Make sure it hasn’t got the timing rattle some cars have had as it’s a 3k fix because box has to come out.

How would I know about the timing rattle, is it a cold start thing? Would I be best sorting a warranty of my own

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.