• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
I have been looking at this kit for a while, was wondering if any of you guys have tried it, if so a review would be great

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

I have the REVO/Alcon kit on my 8V. It's way better than the stock discs. I made the mistake of fitting EBC Redstuff pads which just glazed and overheated the discs at the first sign of hard use. Quickly replaced them with Ferodo DS Performance and happy to report they now work well. Done around 7K miles with them fitted and they still look like new despite some hard use on track and 'spirited' early morning road use.

Attached Files

Edited by Fivepotfan, 08 November 2017 - 12:20 AM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

Savo

Savo

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLondon
Hopefully I’ll get mine next week when there back in stock. Like you fivepotfan I’ve gone for Ferodo ds performance pads as well.
Nardo grey RS3

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

I have the REVO/Alcon kit on my 8V. It's way better than the stock discs. I made the mistake of fitting EBC Redstuff pads which just glazed and overheated the discs at the first sign of hard use. Quickly replaced them with Ferodo DS Performance and happy to report they now work well. Done around 7K miles with them fitted and they still look like new despite some hard use on track and 'spirited' early morning road use.

Thanks for the reply mate, I’m thinking about the complete kit, so the Calipers as well, have you guys gone for just the discs?

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Thanks for the reply mate, I’m thinking about the complete kit, so the Calipers as well, have you guys gone for just the discs?

I opted for these discs because they are made by Alcon and are of good quality materials and finish (no rusting) for the cost invested. I believe the same disc is used on the latest Nissan GTR (but with different alloy bell mounting). I fitted them with the OEM 8 pot calipers on my 8V. However, I know some people who have gone for 6 pot caliper conversions and have reported good results over the 8 pot set up.

In my opinion, the best disc/caliper upgrade for the RS3 is the kit marketed by Tom Wrigley Motorsport. The discs and calipers (6 pots) are made by AP Racing (another brand I trust) and then adapted for the RS3 with specially made bell housings. Fantastic quality and performance, they look the biz too........but they sure ain't cheap! Terminator X has a full front and rear set fitted to his 8V.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 08 November 2017 - 12:49 AM.

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
Thanks for the information mate, I will look at the ap kit too, the guy that services my car is a Revo agent and so I can get a good price, but if the ap kit is better I would prefer to get that. I’ve tried to buy the Alcon disc but nobody keeps them in stock and they need a minimum order of three sets they are only available from Europe, but they want too much money, I can get the complete kit for notmuchmore

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

Ahem ...

207p3xe.jpg

w0qs8k.jpg 

TX.

Nardo RS4

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
How much of an improvement are they mate, in terms of pedal feel and initial bite, they look awesome by the way

Edited by Sonnybo55, 09 November 2017 - 07:36 PM.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Ahem ...

207p3xe.jpg

w0qs8k.jpg

TX.

I have 'brake envy'! :D Great quality piece of kit TX.

I think these must be the ultimate in brake upgrades for the RS3 other than fitting a set of carbon ceramics. Perhaps arguably, maybe even better than ceramics in some ways?

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Im sure Jay has about 24 sets he can sell to everyone  :lol:

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Ahem ...

207p3xe.jpg

w0qs8k.jpg

TX.

Very nice too to Term  :)

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Im sure Jay has about 24 sets he can sell to everyone :lol:

only standard discs currently I’m afraid

Tippytoes

Tippytoes

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex
I have a set of Alcon front callipers, boxed & unused, complete with brackets & brake hose for 8v if anyone interested?

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

How much of an improvement are they mate, in terms of pedal feel and initial bite, they look awesome by the way

Mega. Don't even think about the brakes now, they just stop the car in every situation. No fade either when we did the track day recently.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
I spoke to someone yesterday and they recommended I get the Alcon set up, as the car wouldn’t ever be doing any track work, and they said the AP Racing kit is better on the track and need some heat in them to get some feel, how do they feel when they are cold mate? Thanks

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

After my recent pad upgrade to DS Performance fronts and DS2500 rears the braking is nice and sharp. Brakes lovely with spirited driving too, and zero squeal. On OEM discs.

I would think it's a reasonable alternative to a full brake and caliper replacement but at way lower cost at £200 if you are not tracking the car.

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
It would be great then if we could get 3 8p owners to order the Alcon discs from Litchfield, great saving as they would be 850£ instead of about 1200 from Europe

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

I spoke to someone yesterday and they recommended I get the Alcon set up, as the car wouldn’t ever be doing any track work, and they said the AP Racing kit is better on the track and need some heat in them to get some feel, how do they feel when they are cold mate? Thanks

Cold

I bet Sonny   :P

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
😂

The_Bear

The_Bear

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

AP Racing is what I went with and they are amazing.... no looking back for RS3 brake problems

I would say the AP took a bit of time to bed in properly but now this is complete they have so much power and feel.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.