Suspension tuning

40 replies to this topic

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Mine is booked in next monday to be done

Looking forward to your feedback Oli. Speaking to some of the Audi dealerships here in Melbourne, they said no calibration is required on mag ride.

I've got the H&R springs, on a few occasions now I have hit bumpstops 😑
It's a scary feeling when the suspension bottoms out...

Tippytoes

Tippytoes

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex

Looking forward to your feedback Oli. Speaking to some of the Audi dealerships here in Melbourne, they said no calibration is required on mag ride.
I've got the H&R springs, on a few occasions now I have hit bumpstops
It's a scary feeling when the suspension bottoms out...

Methinks the last place to get the correct technical advice on an Audi is an Audi dealer!

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Methinks the last place to get the correct technical advice on an Audi is an Audi dealer!

Yup. Agree 😀

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Talking to Alex this morning and I'm led to believe the MagRide recalibration he did over the weekend on an RS3 (lowered) has totally transformed the car......

Edited by T-800, 17 July 2017 - 09:37 AM.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Talking to Alex this morning and I'm led to believe the MagRide recalibration he did over the weekend on an RS3 (lowered) has totally transformed the car......

It has indeed. It was my car that Alex did :) . I was holding off my review in case the car improved even more. Alex is a ninja of coding :ph34r: , really nice chap.

The car has H&R Springs 30F/20R drop. I loved them when they were first installed as the suspension prior to it was so crashy. The H&R Springs made the car much more compliant, and softer over the bumps which I really liked.

However, over time I began to notice that it was perhaps getting too soft. Comfort mode had barely much difference to Dynamic for example. Coupled with this the high speed Autobahn driving didn't feel as planted and solid as it should be. This was beginning to grate on me and I began to think about the more expensive MSS Kit upgrade based on the good reviews.

So when I heard there was a Mag Ride calibration that could be done T-800 put me in touch with Alex of Vag Car Coding. We met up this weekend at Donnington. After doing various checks and scans on the car for any issues, he got to work. This involved dialing up to the Audi servers in Germany with his dealer level tool. After taking height measurements he made the adjustments and followed the relevant procedures. 

When first driving the car we were unsure of the result as it seemed to have softened up the steering quite a lot. Too much perhaps even, as if the rebound settings weren't correct. We decided to drive the car over a few days and see if the car then adapted to the new settings. On the way home from Donnington the car gradually began to sharpen up and the steering feel improved. So clearly the car needs to adapt to its settings. The high speed control was instantly noticeable. It felt I could continue accelerating to top speed without the skittish kind of feeling at those higher speeds. It just felt planted.

Yesterday I also tested the car on various roads and it felt really good. The hold on the road felt more solid and the control used less effort. Overall comfort in any mode is much improved, especially on the rear shocks. My well known road bump doesn't jar on the rear passenger wheel anymore for example. 

A noticeable difference between Comfort mode and Dynamic was also returned to the car. Although I wonder if I would prefer Dynamic to be harder still.

I will report back if the car continues to adapt further. For now I would recommend the procedure to anyone who has lowered their car.

Incidentally, there was a 30mm difference all round from actual height to the OEM configuration, 335mm instead of 365mm. Which poses the question have the H&R springs lowered the car 30mm all round, or was it set incorrectly in the first place. If someone could kindly measure the centre of their alloy wheel, to the top of the wheel arch edges and post it up I'd be most grateful. This will at least tell me what the OEM height setting probably was before I lowered it.

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Our was done today, and at present i can't really tell the difference, but to be fair the ride is is good, it is hard to think how it will be improved.  Interesting about the 30mm difference as this is what cam e up on ours.  Even though we have lowered it less.  I think this is the smallest setting they can work with.

Will report back in time

www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - VW California hire

www.bmvs.co.uk

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Our was done today, and at present i can't really tell the difference, but to be fair the ride is is good, it is hard to think how it will be improved.  Interesting about the 30mm difference as this is what cam e up on ours.  Even though we have lowered it less.  I think this is the smallest setting they can work with.

Will report back in time

Do you have lowering springs too?. So was your original setting 365mm too?. What have they set it to now?

Upon first getting in my car after the required waiting time, the car didn't feel great. The rebound wasn't right I think, and the steering felt squishy. However, as the miles increased it really began to tighten up.

I took it for a blast last night on the rolling hills and it was really good. Definitely better than without the procedure, but perhaps it depends on how each person drives their car?. 

Look forward to what to think after some miles. I've done at least 150 since.

Zoeben

Zoeben

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi James, we met at donnington, let me know if you have any free time to meet half way. Would like to feel the difference of your mag ride re-calibration, loving the stance of my h&r's, but the ride?.....
You can see what you think about the stage 2+,
Kev.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Hi James, we met at donnington, let me know if you have any free time to meet half way. Would like to feel the difference of your mag ride re-calibration, loving the stance of my h&r's, but the ride?.....
You can see what you think about the stage 2+,
Kev.

Hiya!! Yeah it was great to see you and your car...geesh ! So lovely.

For sure it'd be great to meet up. I'll PM you. 

RS3ER

RS3ER

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationLONDON

It has indeed. It was my car that Alex did :) . I was holding off my review in case the car improved even more. Alex is a ninja of coding :ph34r: , really nice chap.

The car has H&R Springs 30F/20R drop. I loved them when they were first installed as the suspension prior to it was so crashy. The H&R Springs made the car much more compliant, and softer over the bumps which I really liked.

However, over time I began to notice that it was perhaps getting too soft. Comfort mode had barely much difference to Dynamic for example. Coupled with this the high speed Autobahn driving didn't feel as planted and solid as it should be. This was beginning to grate on me and I began to think about the more expensive MSS Kit upgrade based on the good reviews.

So when I heard there was a Mag Ride calibration that could be done T-800 put me in touch with Alex of Vag Car Coding. We met up this weekend at Donnington. After doing various checks and scans on the car for any issues, he got to work. This involved dialing up to the Audi servers in Germany with his dealer level tool. After taking height measurements he made the adjustments and followed the relevant procedures. 

When first driving the car we were unsure of the result as it seemed to have softened up the steering quite a lot. Too much perhaps even, as if the rebound settings weren't correct. We decided to drive the car over a few days and see if the car then adapted to the new settings. On the way home from Donnington the car gradually began to sharpen up and the steering feel improved. So clearly the car needs to adapt to its settings. The high speed control was instantly noticeable. It felt I could continue accelerating to top speed without the skittish kind of feeling at those higher speeds. It just felt planted.

Yesterday I also tested the car on various roads and it felt really good. The hold on the road felt more solid and the control used less effort. Overall comfort in any mode is much improved, especially on the rear shocks. My well known road bump doesn't jar on the rear passenger wheel anymore for example. 

A noticeable difference between Comfort mode and Dynamic was also returned to the car. Although I wonder if I would prefer Dynamic to be harder still.

I will report back if the car continues to adapt further. For now I would recommend the procedure to anyone who has lowered their car.

Incidentally, there was a 30mm difference all round from actual height to the OEM configuration, 335mm instead of 365mm. Which poses the question have the H&R springs lowered the car 30mm all round, or was it set incorrectly in the first place. If someone could kindly measure the centre of their alloy wheel, to the top of the wheel arch edges and post it up I'd be most grateful. This will at least tell me what the OEM height setting probably was before I lowered it.

Calibration from various vehicles (etc) factory spec will have different Measurements I have 3 admaps of (14) from RS3 8V all show different values.
√ΛƓ ƇΛИ ṖŔᎾ √② + √ƇDS ĤƐӾ ИƐŦ + √ΛS ᎾDĪS ⑥①⑤④

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

I thought I'd update you on a recent tweak to the Mag Ride calibration at the weekend. With the H&R's the car is lowered 30mm at the front and 20mm at the rear. My garage is perfectly flat and I realised the measurements we did the first time weren't accurate. So a tweak was done to the front heights.

Folks, the difference the calibration makes is unbelievable. Based on discussions with Alex and other cars he's done there may even be evidence that non lowered standard cars could benefit from the procedure. Perhaps the cars are not set correctly after the initial PDC, who knows but when correctly set it really helps.

My car now has significantly reduced understeer, is lovely and compliant over rough roads, and rolls over speed bumps smoothly. Night and day difference from OEM, and a significant improvement from simply adding lowering springs.

Alex at Vag Car Coding actually did the update with the help of T-800 in Manchester so I didn't have to travel to London. They connected up over the wifi connection and it was done.

You can check your current settings in VCDS, but it requires ODIS to make changes. The height is measured from the arch wing, down to the centre of the hub\wheel cap.

D19NL B

D19NL B

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

I thought I'd update you on a recent tweak to the Mag Ride calibration at the weekend. With the H&R's the car is lowered 30mm at the front and 20mm at the rear. My garage is perfectly flat and I realised the measurements we did the first time weren't accurate. So a tweak was done to the front heights.

Folks, the difference the calibration makes is unbelievable. Based on discussions with Alex and other cars he's done there may even be evidence that non lowered standard cars could benefit from the procedure. Perhaps the cars are not set correctly after the initial PDC, who knows but when correctly set it really helps.

My car now has significantly reduced understeer, is lovely and compliant over rough roads, and rolls over speed bumps smoothly. Night and day difference from OEM, and a significant improvement from simply adding lowering springs.

Alex at Vag Car Coding actually did the update with the help of T-800 in Manchester so I didn't have to travel to London. They connected up over the wifi connection and it was done.

You can check your current settings in VCDS, but it requires ODIS to make changes. The height is measured from the arch wing, down to the centre of the hub\wheel cap.

Agreed with H&Rs, done the same with mine and the change is amazing

I just remembered that i'm absent minded, wait, i mean i lost my mind i can't find it.

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I had this done a few ago. I'm also lowered on H&Rs. Previous the suspension would crash and bottom out on bad patches. After the calibration, it hasn't been crashy. That's the biggest difference I have noticed.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

I had this done a few ago. I'm also lowered on H&Rs. Previous the suspension would crash and bottom out on bad patches. After the calibration, it hasn't been crashy. That's the biggest difference I have noticed.

Does your car sit 10mm lower at the front than the rear mate?

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Does your car sit 10mm lower at the front than the rear mate?

Yeah it does.

Photo attached 069d9d73946bb1c68ca435d6e17c63fd.jpg

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Do you have 255's on the front like me? I get a feeling that the H&R's don't take into account that the wider front 255's cause the car to sit 5mm lower at the front, than the 235 spec cars. So the reverse rake is more pronounced, in essence a 35mm drop at the front.

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I used to run the OEM tyre size 255/235 previously on the h&r. But now I'm on 245 35 19 all round.

I watched Audi carry out the reset procedure. Took them 10-15mins.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

Fair play, Audi Belfast confirmed the calibration would need done and that they can do it, but won't touch the car if it's modified...
Currently trying to find someone who can do it in Northern Ireland.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
If Mag ride calibration was offered at RS3 Fest for a Reduced cost for Forum members, would there be any takers ?

Edited by T-800, 14 August 2017 - 10:43 AM.

Kelza

Kelza

Elite Club Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationCumbria
Hi Sean start a thread see how u get on :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suspension, tuning

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.