RS3 8V: One step at a time

535 replies to this topic

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Just bought some number plate snap lockers for the front grill, so I can quickly remove the front plate when needed.

No idea how these will work out, but for £20 off eBay I’ve taken a punt.

They look OK tbh with foam pads that butt against the grill. Looks like you just insert into the honeycomb grill and twist into position. Then snap the number plate into position.

These have been 3D printed so not sure how long they’ll last.

90b0df65d31458f3be0264d63c011cea.jpg

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
This setup is definitely fighting me at every opportunity!

We’ve now fitted the GTX3582R GEN2 and VIS HPFP wouldn’t play ball. Fuel pressure was dropping to 105-110bar so didn’t allow us to use anymore than 1.3bar boost. LPFP and injectors were fine via logs and it appears to be the VIS HPFP. The pump was secondhand to be fair (lessons learnt).

After a number of conversations the recommendation was to either go with the latest 12.1mm LOBA or the APR unit. Due to being able to track down a LOBA unit (thanks goes to MRC for this!), we now have this baby in hand.

Time to fit and crank that boost up!

dbd47d5df50180f18099a61a6e1911fc.jpg

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
So.... LOBA HPFP fuel pump has been fitted and the car was put back on the dyno yesterday evening for a quick sanity check. I think we can say fuelling is back and what a difference it has made! Just a sneak peak at some interesting info so far from my Litchfield RS3 8V.1 Garret GTX build. 622bhp at the current rev limit of just under 7400rpm. On 99oct fuel at a paltry flat decked peak and held 1.15bar! As you can see the power is still on the rise even as the rev limit kicks in. For further context we made 588bhp at just 1.05bar flat decked. Can’t wait to crank more boost in and extend the rev limit...... and really see what this GTX blower can do on this built engine with Nortech manifold on 99oct fuel! Full graphs when we get some real power.

83511ef50b0f07dda9a1e9d2e16e1665.jpg

Mephisto

Mephisto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have been off the site for a while as I too have been forging the car Shaunee  :D  We did manage a 10.66 - 133mph at Eastern Creek full street spec and weight 1622kg, mpss and 98, so, we are like you very excited at this next phase.

Like you we went external wastegate, but, have also added big cams. 

Running it in this week and will be refining the tune around the 28/29th, so, it will be great to see what we can both produce on the dyno and at the strip. 

can you please share details on the cams you are using please?

Mephisto

Mephisto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Holy moley...... it will take me about 14 weeks to document how all this build has unravelled.  :D

Apologies for the lack of updates guys.

There have been a number of challenges along the way from being let down by aftermarket suppliers, to delays in custom parts production, to complications that need resolving and also the fact that I am not my tuners only customer and work off the back of delays needs to be re-scheduled back in to the workshop etc.  It's extreme goal modding life!  :ph34r:

It is quite funny though as the rumours being spread behind my back have included "The engine has blown up twice!!" to "He can't afford the bill!!".  :D  :D  Don't you just love social media and keyboard warriors!  All I can say is he who laughs last, laughs longest!  :ambulance:

Fingers crossed the car should be back with me very shortly at which point I'll get you guys some much needed "data"!!!! 

I'm already bracing myself and making plans now for what we need to do to the set-up to extract the most out of the next blower going on which will be the GTX3582. This will include manifold mods, fuel system overhaul and a rather funky new FMIC........ I might even get the head pulled and do some further work on that as well.  Loads of testing and work still to do throughout 2019.

Hopefully the car will be where I want it to be by the time petrol runs out!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here's to the new season starting at Santa Pod....... roll on April!!!! 

have you got the car in the workshop all this time or are you going in/out doing mods as it goes?

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

can you please share details on the cams you are using please?

Stock cams in a modified head.

I’ll look at cams if and when I need to. So many other things to look at before this though.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

have you got the car in the workshop all this time or are you going in/out doing mods as it goes?

I have driven the car but it’s not back with me yet.... will be soon so I can get some decent seat time, but I have many other things that will need to be done on-going to get the most out of the package and this built engine. I’ve got a load of other bits to fit to see their benefit (and disbenefit).

Jefecito

Jefecito

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

So.... LOBA HPFP fuel pump has been fitted and the car was put back on the dyno yesterday evening for a quick sanity check. I think we can say fuelling is back and what a difference it has made! Just a sneak peak at some interesting info so far from my Litchfield RS3 8V.1 Garret GTX build. 622bhp at the current rev limit of just under 7400rpm. On 99oct fuel at a paltry flat decked peak and held 1.15bar! As you can see the power is still on the rise even as the rev limit kicks in. For further context we made 588bhp at just 1.05bar flat decked. Can’t wait to crank more boost in and extend the rev limit...... and really see what this GTX blower can do on this built engine with Nortech manifold on 99oct fuel! Full graphs when we get some real power.

83511ef50b0f07dda9a1e9d2e16e1665.jpg

Crazy stuff.

Got same car as yours, engine is being built right now after global piston failure (stock). Probably going stage 3 + WMI, let me know if you're planning on selling one of the smaller turbos once you're done playing :)

Lawrence

Lawrence

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
What happened to cause the piston issue and what tune where you running?

Edited by Lawrence, 27 April 2019 - 07:06 AM.

Jefecito

Jefecito

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

What happened to cause the piston issue and what tune where you running?

Not sure yet, probably detonation from poor fuel quality (don't have any choice where I live).

Car was stock. 

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Not sure yet, probably detonation from poor fuel quality (don't have any choice where I live).

Car was stock.

That’s a shitter..... hope you get it sorted bud!

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
From the ones I’ve heard of it’s usually been a faulty injector that causes it.
It’s still quite rare though.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
For the moment this is where my RS3 8V.1 will be. 654bhp on the GTX3582 GEN2, on 99oct fuel and sub 1.5bar of boost at peak power. We are now all out of fuelling capacity but at a safe level on stock DI (it did make 675bhp but turned down slightly for safety on the fuelling side).

This project has fought me at every BHP, but now it’s time to have a bit of well earned fun for a couple of months.

This is on the stock airbox, Forge FMIC, GTX3582 with .83 hotside, Nortech turbo kit, Peron supplied TVS Stage 3 DSG, Litchfield forged engine and 99 fuel @ sub 1.5bar boost at peak.

Let’s hit the tarmac for some summer fun, before we get back on it over autumn.

Port injection to go on and then we’ll push the boost to 2bar. Once that’s been done we’ll stick the 3584RS back on. Then if that’s not enough we’ll see what it will do on E85!

Plenty more left to do and a lot of headroom left in power. See you all again in 2030!

b7b7b1277c3f47f8da3d11757f75600f.jpg

Redadair13

Redadair13

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
What a machine, big numbers now.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

What a machine, big numbers now.

It will be fun to see how it performs at full weight and road tyres down the strip for sure.

Regardless it will need more power for where I want it to be. The GTX3582 can achieve 800bhp on this kind of spec (assuming the addition of port injection) with E85 and 2.1bar. The 3584 will go just that bit further.

Will be interesting to see how far these blowers will go on plain old 99 on the CZ platform before I consider higher octane fuel.

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth
Come on Shaun! You must be gutted that you did not get any where near a big figure? 26 pages of hype to see that you must be very disappointed.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Come on Shaun! You must be gutted that you did not get any where near a big figure? 26 pages of hype to see that you must be very disappointed.

I think thats where he should be given the injectors?  He has done all the hard work. Add more fuel (bigger injectors or 4 additional ones) and whack up the boost. I dont think 800bhp ++ is a stretch?

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

I think thats where he should be given the injectors? He has done all the hard work. Add more fuel (bigger injectors or 4 additional ones) and whack up the boost. I dont think 800bhp ++ is a stretch?

But why do all this to sit it just over 600hp? Should of left stock motor added a good hybrid and mapped in wmi he wouldn't be far off them figures. Imho just seems alot of work to achieve so little, 700hp + with just adding wmi surely.

Edited by BenTTU, 26 June 2019 - 11:17 AM.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

But why do all this to sit it just over 600hp? Should of left stock motor added a good hybrid and mapped in wmi he wouldn't be far off them figures. Imho just seems alot of work to achieve so little, 700hp + with just adding wmi surely.

Agree but I thought this was just another step to 800 ish?? Hope so anyway. 

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Agree but I thought this was just another step to 800 ish?? Hope so anyway. 

None of it makes sense, we all know stock injectors max out around 650-680ps. Should of fitted Porsche injectors and dialed them in. Me personally running wmi is the way forward as you can run some big boost with no issues and have cooling along with more octane....E85 may be an option if fitting bigger injectors, lines and fuel pumps that can handle this along with tuning flex fuel on stock management....honestly I only know 1 or 2 tuners in the world that can do this with perfection.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.