Photo

Weekly maintenance: How to safely clean your pride and joy, and the common mistakes people make

- - - - - Cleaning car cleaning cleaning cars maintenance shampoo

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

malcyfc

malcyfc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Great tips - will certainly be putting these to use on my new motor

TipToe

TipToe

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Many years ago I was heavily into detailing my car and purchased the equipment, pads, compounds and all the gear. I found it rewarding and learnt a serious amount from detailing world.

I prefer to use a citrus pre was diluted in a hand held 2lt pump container, the valet pro citrus is brilliant and I found that it really did remove far more dirt and grime then snow foam. I use snow foam occasionally after citrus pre wash but that is because I am a big kid and like to see the thick foam.

I do the following

1. Citrus pre wash soaking ( cleans wheels to 95% )
2. Rinse
3. Snow foam
4. Rinse
5. Iron X on wheels ( watch it go purple on the rims ) Stinks like a cows bum... Sniff sniff
6. Wash car
7. Rinse car and wheels with iron X
8. Review wheels, but normally sparkling clean.
9. Silicone blade excess water
10. Spray car with quick detailer (pink and smells lovely)
11. Dry car with drying towel as the quicker detailer help with drying and leaves a streak and spot free finish.
12. Open back doors and spray two squirts of 'new car scent' then close door.

Now ... Once in a blue moon as I can't be bothered anymore I get my detailing machine out with pads, cutting and polishing compounds with a dose of wax to finish it off.

Only product I would strongly advise against is 'wonder wheels - wheel cleaner'

I love reading posts like this as it brings back some motivation I used to have..

Edited by TipToe, 01 April 2016 - 03:22 PM.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Tip toe 

what make pre wash is it ...........sounds good

TipToe

TipToe

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi Roy

Stuff I use .....

Citrus Pre Wash : Link | A Review from detailing world : Link

Spray Bottle : Link

Snow Foam : Link

Detailer : Link

Iron X : Link

New Car Scent : Link

I could go on .... but that gives you an idea. 

Shaun

Edited by TipToe, 01 April 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Thanks Tip,

My friend from rugby is the managing director for Europe and Asia for Meguiars ,

I get a very heavy discount (almost free) used "last touch" for the first time today smells of coconut,

All their products have a great smell and are so easy to use,,,,,will give the pre wash a go 

Yeoy

Yeoy

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationDown South
Tip what new car spray do you use?

Yeoy

Yeoy

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationDown South
Sorry I just seen you posted a link. Thanks!

TipToe

TipToe

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

funny thing is, the wife uses it for the cat trays as our cats don't go outside due to them being show cats .. the 'New Car Scent' works wonders for killing the smell.  :D

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Thanks Tip,

My friend from rugby is the managing director for Europe and Asia for Meguiars ,

I get a very heavy discount (almost free) used "last touch" for the first time today smells of coconut,

All their products have a great smell and are so easy to use,,,,,will give the pre wash a go 

I'm embarrassed to admit what my 'last touch' smells of - or maybe not  :P

Mr_Freeze

Mr_Freeze

Leeds, Marching on Together.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationWestbury, but originally from Leeds.
Garage View Garage

Very interesting! So I'm booked in with Aspect detailing who I believe use their own product. I know nothing about professional detailing or ceramic coatings etc as I've never bothered with it before. I usually just shunt a car along and move onto the next after 18 months but I've been reliably informed that I'll be getting a divorce if I do that with the RS so want to look after it. I was recommended them by a friend and then saw a post about them on here so guessed they must be decent. Is there anything in particular I should be asking them to do? The 9H and 6 H stuff you mentioned went straight over my head!

Hi Krisey, where are you located?
I've got Aspect booked for this coming Thursday for a ceramic treatment.

Current car: Tesla M3 Performance.

“Lightning" 2012 RS3, Ibis White (Sold).  “Bumblebee” 2018 S1 Competition, Vegas Yellow (Sold).  2020 TTRS mk3 Sport Edition (Sold).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cleaning, car cleaning, cleaning cars, maintenance, shampoo

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.