Photo

Weekly maintenance: How to safely clean your pride and joy, and the common mistakes people make

- - - - - Cleaning car cleaning cleaning cars maintenance shampoo

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Josh

Josh

If it's got **** or wheels it'll lose you money!

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire
Gents if I may,

There are two very easy routes round this. 1st Get on eBay and type in DI water filter, you don't want anything less than 10L and can be had for around £90/100 personally I'd have 11-15L of resin due to tap flow rates. You will get around 1 year of washing in moderate water hardness with 12L of resin. It will cost around £35/50 to fill back up for another year depending on what you go for. 2nd You really don't need to run the jet wash on filtered water as it never has chance to dry on the car so just normal tap water will do. I have my reel plugged directly into the tap and then roll it out to the jet wash. I have the tanks sitting there waiting and simply plug it into them from there and run a separate length of hose to wash the car with. Very simple, 100% effective. I also have a smaller 7L that I use to fill buckets and prewashes with as I've found pure water is perfect for mixing shampoos, clay lubes and winder cleaners ect as it recats with the products perfectly.

s40rey

s40rey

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
Here's mine.

6L vessel with hose lock connectors in and out.

The waste resin can be seen in the bucket.

A conductivity pen is a good idea as it allows you to test the quality.

Even low levels of impurity result in streaks and dots.

The vessel is around £75 + VAT. The resin is not cheap - £85 + VAT or so per 25L

Add in your hose lock fittings and maybe a conductivity pen - a reasonable one costs around £65 + VAT

See you...

Nick

Attached Files

Josh

Josh

If it's got **** or wheels it'll lose you money!

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire
You need more than 6L of resin for correct filtration though. Due to water flow rates of the average household pressure, flowing contaminated water through 6L just isn't long enough for the resin to do its job and react with the contaminates and purify it. The bigger the vessel and the longer the water has to sit the cleaner it comes out 😊.

s40rey

s40rey

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
It does seem to work - the conductivity is zero.

Have to be honest, it was recommended by our water softener / plant supplier so they should know what they're on about.

I need to correct myself. It's demin resin - NOT dealk. I tried dealk and it doesn't do the job.

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationStaffs/Cheshire border
I'm afraid you've lost me on all of this lot now and all the whys and wherefores......I get the distilled filtration part that you say isn't needed but water softening...l thought was just applicable t'lasses hair Josh

I will mention though my experience the other week and today over here in Espania....Brilliant lance only car wash using distilled or filtered water (translation was sketchy) amazing not a smear or drop of residue anywhere...l just used a soft towel to remove excess water and it was perfect on the frozen paint...it even brought up the metallic in the paint tooAttached File  image.jpeg   37.22K   16 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   53.25K   16 downloads

Edited by Pat, 22 September 2015 - 06:30 PM.

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationStaffs/Cheshire border
Oh but on leaving there having had the most mental exciting drive on an empty toll road I got busted on local motorway "you doing mucho over 200" by plain clothes Nissan cashcard that caught me up in bit of traffic..... 100 euros for the speeding 40 euros cos pooch didn't have seat belt on and 2 then 2 more tooled up Feds going over the car and documents with a tooth comb..Oh well it was a when and not an if I reckon

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

RO systems are great but there is of course the prices has been demonstrated. If you have the money and the conviction then go for it, if not a pet dryer is anywhere between £30-100, never needs additional part or products (except electricity!), does a similar job and only a soft towel is needed for minor water residue left over and in all a fraction of the cost and effort

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

What filter are you going with Colin? I've looked online and am frankly confused.

In the end I ordered the Aqua Gleam (£79.99 on Amazon as Polised Bliss who only charge £60 had no stock). I ordered the 0ppm (as opposed to the 30ppm) to give quality over quantity of washes. In the hard water area that I live (Dorset) that means only 20 washes so £4 a wash.

But the results are amazing. I had to wash the car in sunshine yesterday so a tough test. Did my normal wash ( snow foam, followed by two bucket wash, then rinse with jet wash ) and then swapped in the filter section to the hose reel ( as I previously mentioned I fortunately have a short feed into my hose reel with connectors at each end) and did a hosepipe rinse and then lef the car to dry. And not one water spot and did not have to use towel - straight to detailing spray. 

Well pleased!!

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

Obsidian Detailing

Obsidian Detailing

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

In the end I ordered the Aqua Gleam (£79.99 on Amazon as Polised Bliss who only charge £60 had no stock). I ordered the 0ppm (as opposed to the 30ppm) to give quality over quantity of washes. In the hard water area that I live (Dorset) that means only 20 washes so £4 a wash.

But the results are amazing. I had to wash the car in sunshine yesterday so a tough test. Did my normal wash ( snow foam, followed by two bucket wash, then rinse with jet wash ) and then swapped in the filter section to the hose reel ( as I previously mentioned I fortunately have a short feed into my hose reel with connectors at each end) and did a hosepipe rinse and then lef the car to dry. And not one water spot and did not have to use towel - straight to detailing spray. 

Well pleased!!

Glad it was worth while, and definitely go for quality over quantity. Thats what we are all trying to attain imo. Enjoy

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

Ordered a water filter yesterday and i think they've sent me an aqualung  :lol: 

IMG_1520_zpswnhbyext.jpg

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

The only liquid that gets filtered in my house is beer !

kevin69

kevin69

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
Only filter in my house is my kidneys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotexile

scotexile

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationIn Exile

I used our blaster (pet dryer) after washing the 6 on Saturday and what a difference it's made; no water spotting or streaks from the hard water - car looked stunning for about an hours work.

Maintaining status quo is not an option

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

We were talking about those on saturday Scot,,, would you recommend one ?

scotexile

scotexile

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationIn Exile
It made a massive difference to the finish on a 'routine' weekend wash, I'd certainly recommend it for anyone like me that has hard water. Now I should say that we had the blaster for the dogs in the first place so no investment required

kevin69

kevin69

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
Scott - I've got this big free standing pet dryer on a big stand with a long hose - is that the sort of thing ??
Got 5 dogs at home, and comes in rather handy - would be good if it doubled up as a car dryer - the neighbours will be thinking WTF though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotexile

scotexile

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationIn Exile

Scott - I've got this big free standing pet dryer on a big stand with a long hose - is that the sort of thing ??Got 5 dogs at home, and comes in rather handy - would be good if it doubled up as a car dryer - the neighbours will be thinking WTF though Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds similar - my wife came out to look at what I was doing, saw the car and commented how good it looked for it. Give it a go

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Pet dryers they are the future, even the hand held portable ones.

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts
I'll defo be looking into this purified water / pet dryer malarkey to get rid of the contact drying routine.
Incidentally, after pre washing with snow foam and rinsing, I have a spare snow foam bottle but it is filled with normal car shampoo. So I use the snow foam lance to cover the car with shampoo, then rinse and dry. Most of the time this is all that is needed to clean the car but every couple of months or if it has been a while since the last clean I have to use a mitt and bucket / grit guard to gently agitate the dirt a little, but generally this means I have no rubbing other than the patting / drying part. I'm been trying to get rid of this part too and one of these 2 methods mentioned above could be my saviour!

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSurrey

I've just ordered the following 7L refillable 0PPM water filter -

Race-Glaze-Pro-7-litre-water-filter_6_1.

It has revived excellent 5 star reviews & is available from http://www.raceglaze...-water-filters/ for £99.00

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cleaning, car cleaning, cleaning cars, maintenance, shampoo

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.