Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Hello Rob

Nice to hear from you hope you and family are well  :)

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

Seeing as this topic is already active I'll ask here - Where are people getting MPS4S from nowadays? I can't seem to find any in stock on the sites I usually used for the 255/30/R19 ones. They've not been discontinued have they? 

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Seeing as this topic is already active I'll ask here - Where are people getting MPS4S from nowadays? I can't seem to find any in stock on the sites I usually used for the 255/30/R19 ones. They've not been discontinued have they? 

Seb.

Just replaced mine after 16k & 500 track miles, backs still had 3mm tread on them with a 235 alround set up.

Without the track time I would expect to get 25k+

Dell.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Haven't herd of them being discontinued, no whisper yet of the 5S. Obviously they may be a victim of the current supply issues but other sizes seem to be OK. I went with 245/35 and they seem to be available 

Camskill seem to have 2-day lead time for 255/30

https://www.camskill...:_B_Noise:_71dB

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

Seb.

Just replaced mine after 16k & 500 track miles, backs still had 3mm tread on them with a 235 alround set up.

Without the track time I would expect to get 25k+

Dell.

Yeah I've gotten loads out of mine. Still plenty left on them to be fair but one has developed a little lump on the side wall so I was looking to get a new set of fronts.

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

Haven't herd of them being discontinued, no whisper yet of the 5S. Obviously they may be a victim of the current supply issues but other sizes seem to be OK. I went with 245/35 and they seem to be available 

Camskill seem to have 2-day lead time for 255/30

https://www.camskill...:_B_Noise:_71dB

Yeah the other sizes seem fine. Maybe these are just not that common and so they've not got so many with all the issues lately. I've never used that place before but may give it a go. I'll also see if the garage I usually get to fit my tyres can find any. See who can do them cheaper haha.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Seb

I've used Camskill many times over the years & normally my 1st port of call when pricing up tyres.

Dell.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Looks like Michelin are a bit short at the moment, popular sizes selling out first. Ricky Elder mentioned it here (@ 4:20)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfnRgONaHc8

Edited by flybynite, 11 June 2022 - 01:10 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Have you considered the Cup 2 tyres? I have driven mine in the wet and they were fine for normal driving and they grip amazingly in the dry on a pull.

https://www.camskill...:_B_Noise:_73dB

Edited by RS777, 08 July 2022 - 05:50 AM.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Have you considered the Cup 2 tyres? I have driven mine in the wet and they were fine for normal driving and they grip amazingly in the dry on a pull.

https://www.camskill...:_B_Noise:_73dB

I looked at the Cup 2 but for what my car does the PS4S is the sweet spot for me. The car does occasional long runs across the country at night and often in the rain as I don't get a choice when I do it. I need the car planted in all weathers, one of the reasons I bought it.

The PS4S loses a bit of the wet performance against the PS4, I barely notice it, but it is there, I wouldn't want to lose any more but for that you do get a significant hike in dry performance, same with the Cup 2 over the PS4S

If I had anything more than stock/stage 1 or used it for different things I would consider the Cup 2, especially as I have winter rubber for it anyway.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Stu.

https://youtu.be/aMv64liOqIE

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Stu.

https://youtu.be/aMv64liOqIE

Dell.

Yeah I saw that a one a while ago. I convinced the more power you have the more a grippier tyre would help but the jury is out on longevity.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Yeah I saw that a one a while ago. I convinced the more power you have the more a grippier tyre would help but the jury is out on longevity.

Stu.

As flybynite said you need to find the balance in regards usage,as the majority of my usage is all year round driving the MPS4s meet my needs in grip/milage,they also work well for the the 2/3 trackdays a year.

Tbh if your having grip issues on the road maybe you've gone too far in the power dept as it's no use if you can't put it down......More is often less šŸ¤”

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Stu.

As flybynite said you need to find the balance in regards usage,as the majority of my usage is all year round driving the MPS4s meet my needs in grip/milage,they also work well for the the 2/3 trackdays a year.

Tbh if your having grip issues on the road maybe you've gone too far in the power dept as it's no use if you can't put it down......More is often less šŸ¤”

Dell.

Maybe I didnā€™t explain it well Dell as I was just comparing the more power the bigger the need for grippier tyres to realise full potential. Iā€™m not having any grip issues on 600hp and in fact the current set up with the suspension & subframe mods is noticeably better. Previously I felt the car put the power down fine and thatā€™s because I couldnā€™t feel any slipping so assumed 100% of the power went to the floor. Nowadays cars are so good at holding back without you knowing that itā€™s hard to tell. Much easier to know when I had a Capri lol. I am convinced if I had a standard car with the same set up it would put more power down and especially with the Wavetrack.
I think you need to go out in my to see what itā€™s like and you would be surprised how much even a great car like a RS3 can be improved. Imagine what it would be like if you had a fully stripped car with ceramic brakes and a nice set of carbon drum wheels. šŸ˜

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Stu.

My RS is a daily drive with the odd track day it's just perfect for my needs with the set up I have and to be totally honest you can't use your amount of power on the road due to the speeds involved & the very poor grip levels/condition of our roads baring blasting up/down the local bypass or a quiet motorway which I grew out off decades ago.

The Cup2s are a very grippy tyre once at their operating temperature but until that time not so unlike a road orientated tyre.

As you have absolutely no intention of doing trackdays where you could really exploit your build I really don't see the point in performance you can't use in the real world....More is often less tbh

I did over hear your response to being ask about going on track at Simple Audi where you did state you had no intentions of doing so.

I've done mid 10s 1/4s on bikes so fast cars are a piece of piss now days to drag race.

Dell

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
Ā© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.