• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

RS3Rob

RS3Rob

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Afternoon all!

I'll be buying a set of Bilstein B14's this weekend and i'm just after some advice on whether its a job I can tackle myself or not? I've had coilovers before but never fitted them myself, Is it an easy job on the RS? As far as i can tell, its just a case of removing a number of bolts and then the whole assembly comes off, do I need to support anything whilst these bolts are being loosened off or spring compressors etc?

Whilst i'm down there, id also like to replace any ball joints that are easily accessible which are near or connected to the coilovers as i'd like to freshen up anything I can, What do you suggest? The top mounts will be getting replaced for the Bilstein Febi ones on ebay but theres 2 different types for the RS3 8P that I can see, some look as though they have different bearings, which ones do I need?

Any advice on this / walk throughs / lists of what I need would be greatly appreciated on this  :up_it:

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Afternoon all!

I'll be buying a set of Bilstein B14's this weekend and i'm just after some advice on whether its a job I can tackle myself or not? I've had coilovers before but never fitted them myself, Is it an easy job on the RS? As far as i can tell, its just a case of removing a number of bolts and then the whole assembly comes off, do I need to support anything whilst these bolts are being loosened off or spring compressors etc?

Whilst i'm down there, id also like to replace any ball joints that are easily accessible which are near or connected to the coilovers as i'd like to freshen up anything I can, What do you suggest? The top mounts will be getting replaced for the Bilstein Febi ones on ebay but theres 2 different types for the RS3 8P that I can see, some look as though they have different bearings, which ones do I need?

Any advice on this / walk throughs / lists of what I need would be greatly appreciated on this :up_it:

Rob.

I had B14s on mine before changing over to Ohlins,not a big job I just changed the top mount bearing with OEMs as the rubbers top mounts from what I've seen don't seem to deteriorate tbh.

Disconnect the the yew control switch on the passenger side wishbone, the ARB drop link from shock leg,loosen off the pinch bolt on hub, remove the 3 bolts on the top mount after knocking hub down while hold the slot at the back of the leg open.

I removed the discs & calipers as it's much easier to handle the hub & it helps to stop the drive shaft from being pulled off out the gearbox on the driver's side which is a right nightmare to refit 😳

I used a trolley jack under the wishbone ball joint to push the hub back up the strut leg while using a chisel to hold the slot at the back of the hub open as when removing.....You MUST have the leg perfectly straight into the hub when doing this or it will jam up !

If your replacing the top mount with new you can build up the front struts without the need for spring compressors.

The rear is much the same remove the inner arch splash guard to get access to dampen fixing bolts,jack under rear hub & remove lower damper bolts.... remember to remove headlamp levelling switch on rear wishbone passenger side as you will break it when pushing down to remove/refit the new springs,refit in reverse order.

Btw I've done this job on 4 occasions on 8Ps & aftermarket springs change on 2 8Vs.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 12 September 2020 - 12:49 PM.

RS3Rob

RS3Rob

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Dell,

Much appreciated for that!

How did you find the B14's compared to stock? At the minute I feel as thought my dampers are static and all the work is on the spring, I bounce everywhere with nothing being absorbed at all. I've had coilovers before and in general they are stiff, but i feel that it would be no massive difference to how my stock shocks are now, they can only be better.

Which top mounts / bearings did you use? There are different types it seems on ebay using febi parts?

You've lost me with the YEW control switch mate, I've never heard of it. From what you're saying it sounds quite complicated keeping things straight otherwise they'll jam up and making sure the 'slot' at the back of the hub is open etc?  :89: .

The top mount may as well be replaced while I'm there just for piece of mind, I only want to be doing this once so I'm trying to do what I can whilst i'm there.

I hate to be a pain in the a** but I don't suppose you took any photos of these 4 occasions you changed the suspension on these RS3's ?  :up_it:

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Pmd rob

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Rob.

I'm going to get Jay to ping you my mobile No as i can't PM anyone on here....it's too long winded to tell you everything you need to know so give me a bell & I can walk you through all the finer points.

Your absolutely correct with you observations in regards the suspension....shite damping with stiff springs.

The B14s are a vast improvement & you wouldn't be unhappy with the them the springs are actually softer but with much more damping which gives a better control ride.

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Pmd rob

Cheers Jay 👍

Dell.

RS3Rob

RS3Rob

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Cheers both, I'll add your number Dell and once I've received them mate ill give you a tinkle so its still fresh in my mind. I think i'll have to book some time off work so I'm not having to rush to get the car back on the road.

Is this job possible without a 4 poster ramp and all 4 wheels off the ground? If not then id be wasting my time trying as I don't have one  ;) .

Thanks lads

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Rob.

Can be done with a pair/2 pairs of axle stands or 1 corner at a time at a push.

Give us a bell once you get them 👍

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.