• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Following this, as I am stuck with GPF too. Just want it gone and put it back for MOT if needed. Any new info regarding stage2 tunes for DNWA engine?

That’ll be a right ball ache......

The downpipe, GPF are all one piece, so everytime you have an MOT you’ll be faced with the long job of refitting everything.

Plus there’s the 4 sensors to contend with...... sure a good mapper can probably deal with them but you’ll still have to reverse it come MOT time.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

The tool I use to read the ecu does not support the newer ecu so I am stuck at the moment. By the time it is released I should have all the stage 2 parts assembled and will go from there.

As T-800 says in 3 years time it will be a right pest to get through MOT. I will have figured something out (or sold the car) by then.

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Before I start getting into power upgrades, I have been doing some reading. It seems like the weak point on the new engine is the wristpin failing which in turn throws a rod through the block. There seems to be no “fail point” as such power wise. I read even stock is failing but can’t confirm. Some EVOs are running 700 on stock block with no issues.

Some changes to the evo engine are all about efficiency and not power/reliability. Main bearings dropped 6mm (I think I read) in size and one alarming upgrade is the amount or blowby and recirculated oil being pumped back into the engine. 

PCV into induction, Blowby into suction side of the turbo, more blowby into inlet within the head. I am sure when new the cyclones do a good job of separating the oil from the air, but this has to increase det risk as things age.

I am still trying to work out how pressure is balanced, and reverse flow is stopped on the high-pressure inlet side. Prob some sort of NRV or flap arrangement.

Seems like I want to rip it all out. I see Oil separation kits online, but I am 99% sure they don’t really address all the issue and prob more of a gimmick (need to confirm)

Really can’t be bothered forging the engine unless I go big turbo. The above may drive a different decision.

Or, is it DET caused by the above that is killing the Wristpin?? Hmmmm.

Edited by paulmc, 22 July 2019 - 12:43 PM.

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
Paul.

I have photo's of 2 FL engines were the rods are bent 1 the big end let go & came out the bottom of the sump but all the wrist pins are intact tho.

For some reason the photo's won't upload.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 22 July 2019 - 03:34 PM.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Yeah I am the same can’t get pics to work. 

Well that is deffo pushing me down the forged route. I could only find guys talking about wristpin failures, it’s very hard to find pics etc.

Seems like as well as reducing the main bearing size they have used inferior rods on the Evo to save weight and or reduce friction

thanks for the info

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
https://www.facebook...158&v=e&sfns=mo

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Photo of a hole in FL block shows in preview but didn't upload to RS3OC .

Attached File  IMG-20190718-WA0001.jpg   60.86K   0 downloads

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Photo of a hole in FL block shows in preview but didn't upload to RS3OC .

attachicon.gif IMG-20190718-WA0001.jpg

Dell.

59d09fd2514d1a0acb06543dc7166108.jpg

608e843184df2db866e0c0a5ee7d5d43.jpg

ccd81e5bca4d02002283000128ae7aeb.jpg

69234da70c73bcfd2174509b148d08f2.jpg
4d3d8405694caa1f50f52bde4305e8a1.jpg

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Photo of a hole in FL block shows in preview but didn't upload to RS3OC .attachicon.gifIMG-20190718-WA0001.jpg
Dell.

59d09fd2514d1a0acb06543dc7166108.jpg608e843184df2db866e0c0a5ee7d5d43.jpgccd81e5bca4d02002283000128ae7aeb.jpg69234da70c73bcfd2174509b148d08f2.jpg4d3d8405694caa1f50f52bde4305e8a1.jpg

There the one's cheer's Sean 👍

Dell.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Magic thanks for the pics,. That’s a huge help. Deffo too much torque and probably det as well looking at the shell damage. Stock turbos & Fast spooling hybrids running big boost almost certainly contribute to this type of failure.
I intend limiting torque low down (did the same on my GTR-R35 when I put big turbos on it with stock engine and it survived) and also run a max torque of 750nm until I decide what to do re forging my engine. In theory that is enough for over 700bhp

Edited by paulmc, 23 July 2019 - 08:07 AM.

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Sure that`s just not hydrauliced ? It`s unusual to bend all the rods with too much boost. 

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

I agree, weird why they all look bent. Something bad happended :(  Wound be good to know the stage of tune etc

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I agree, weird why they all look bent. Something bad happended :(  Wound be good to know the stage of tune etc

Paul.

I believe stage 1.

Dell.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Paul.

I believe stage 1.

Dell.

Thats not good lol

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Parts are mounting.

Milltek downpipe purchased. Will need some other parts to allow fitting and deleting the GPF

HG Motorsport 89mm inlet purchased.

Need to start fitting some stuff now. sorry no pics for me on this forum :(

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Ordered a Draggy today. Want to test how each mod performs. No RR close, plus I think Draggy will give a truer picture. RR can be manipulated up or down.

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

Paul.

I believe stage 1.

Dell.

Jeez expensive bill for the owner!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Hi 

I think you need to stop worrying about DET! the FL runs 10 injectors with more advanced software and hardware over any older jap stuff. DET 100% is not the drama with this engine. 

The problem is the engine will give the power but not reliable power. 500hp+ out of a 2.5tfsi stock motor is mental power full stop mind running 600hp+.... Of course stuff is going to bend when an engine offers so much fuel this will also allow a huge amount of timing giving serious down force on the rods, capped torque or not. 

Ben

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Hi 

I think you need to stop worrying about DET! the FL runs 10 injectors with more advanced software and hardware over any older jap stuff. DET 100% is not the drama with this engine. 

The problem is the engine will give the power but not reliable power. 500hp+ out of a 2.5tfsi stock motor is mental power full stop mind running 600hp+.... Of course stuff is going to bend when an engine offers so much fuel this will also allow a huge amount of timing giving serious down force on the rods, capped torque or not. 

Ben

Given its a turbocharged petrol engine with a relatively high CR and being an ex-mechanic i will never stop worrying about DET on a tuned engine. Been doing this for a lot of years!!. I know it has 10 injectors. The number of injectors has nothing to do with det if its not running lean.

Anyway dont want to start an argument. Just you let me worry about DET :) 

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

oh dear

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.