Photo

2017 Audi RS3 sedan tuning issues

24 replies to this topic

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Has anyone had problems with their FL tune?

When I first bought this car I installed a dump and stage 1 tune. At the time nothing else was available. A year later had another work shop install an intercooler and intake then re tune. The minute I picked it up I felt a stutter under load at around 4000rpm. Only did it when I was heavy on the accelerator or when I dropped gears hard. On numerous occasions I called this workshop to ask and he told me it was the torque limiter nothing to worry about. Took it back. Same story. The car started going into limp a few times then cruising down the free way the engine light comes up. I lose power and smoke billows out the exhaust. I get it to a workshop. Pull the engine out and notice a red iron rusty colour on the head and in the down pipe. The first plug is melted and cylinder bore is damaged. The second cylinder piston is also cracked. 30k rebuild.

Has anyone encountered any issues like this?

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Strange as Iroz (?) are over 700hp with their car afaik and no probs to speak of so far.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Edited by terminator x, 27 December 2018 - 12:29 PM.

Nardo RS4

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Edited by terminator x, 27 December 2018 - 02:05 PM.

Nardo RS4

StuRS3

StuRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
Which tuner / workshop did you use.

Stu

Callum66

Callum66

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMorayshire
I’ve had no problems with my RS3 but, interestingly, it doesn’t “feel” as fast at Stage 2 as it did with a Stage 1 map. I’m sure it has more power but it’s much smoother than before. I’ve had more experience of Subaru mapping and their blocks are very easily damaged by poor fuelling / detonation.

I would be very tempted to ask a respected, custom mapper to look at your Stage 1 / remap fuelling before you run the car again. By your post you are possibly in the USA so any tuner recommendations would be worthless.

Edited by Callum66, 27 December 2018 - 11:06 PM.

Panther FL Sportback, HRE FF04 ET 47 8.5x19 + 235 MPS4’s, MSS Street Kit, Storm Forge FMIC, BCS Downpipe & Stage 2 Engine & DSG remap by DH & MRC 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Well when a tuner says it's the torque limiter nothing to worry about, says it all! If this is true the company should not be trading

Chungster

Chungster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Think he’s from Oz / Down Under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Which tuner / workshop did you use.

Stu

international autohaus marrickville

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Think he’s from Oz / Down Under.

Who’s he?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Has anyone had problems with their FL tune?

When I first bought this car I installed a dump and stage 1 tune. At the time nothing else was available. A year later had another work shop install an intercooler and intake then re tune. The minute I picked it up I felt a stutter under load at around 4000rpm. Only did it when I was heavy on the accelerator or when I dropped gears hard. On numerous occasions I called this workshop to ask and he told me it was the torque limiter nothing to worry about. Took it back. Same story. The car started going into limp a few times then cruising down the free way the engine light comes up. I lose power and smoke billows out the exhaust. I get it to a workshop. Pull the engine out and notice a red iron rusty colour on the head and in the down pipe. The first plug is melted and cylinder bore is damaged. The second cylinder piston is also cracked. 30k rebuild.

Has anyone encountered any issues like this?

Have you been running it on octane booster or race fuel? Usually it gives a rusty red colour in the turbo, down pipe etc. If so was it mapped to run in these?

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Have you been running it on octane booster or race fuel? Usually it gives a rusty red colour in the turbo, down pipe etc. If so was it mapped to run in these?

I was running octane booster here n there not every tank

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Strange as Iroz (?) are over 700hp with their car afaik and no probs to speak of so far.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Hanks car is rebuilt from the ground up. The only stock internal park are the camshafts cause no has manufactured one to suit the FL. I’ve spoken to him directly and APR

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I’ve had no problems with my RS3 but, interestingly, it doesn’t “feel” as fast at Stage 2 as it did with a Stage 1 map. I’m sure it has more power but it’s much smoother than before. I’ve had more experience of Subaru mapping and their blocks are very easily damaged by poor fuelling / detonation.

I would be very tempted to ask a respected, custom mapper to look at your Stage 1 / remap fuelling before you run the car again. By your post you are possibly in the USA so any tuner recommendations would be worthless.

I’m in Sydney, Australia.

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

P.S hank has blown 3 engines.

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

There’s nothing to remap bud. The car has no engine atm. Needed a complete rebuild

billymc92

billymc92

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationScotland - Edinburgh
Dam that’s not good! Think yours is the first one to go as far as I know

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Dam that’s not good! Think yours is the first one to go as far as I know

205631dc2851d5342971e177d9436cc6.jpg

8a59ead40b9a81f9e0b4ae2d26080b09.jpg

RLC

RLC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

205631dc2851d5342971e177d9436cc6.jpg

8a59ead40b9a81f9e0b4ae2d26080b09.jpg

fb996318172492da690aea5deb4ca8c5.jpg

Callum66

Callum66

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMorayshire

There’s nothing to remap bud. The car has no engine atm. Needed a complete rebuild

Sorry, yes, I did mean after the rebuild.

These engines seem to stand sub 500bhp tunes without any problem. The chances are that either you have been abusing it or this was a bad map. I have lots of sympathy for you having been there with an expensive, fully built Impreza engine that had done less than 200 miles. Please keep us updated with your progress.
Panther FL Sportback, HRE FF04 ET 47 8.5x19 + 235 MPS4’s, MSS Street Kit, Storm Forge FMIC, BCS Downpipe & Stage 2 Engine & DSG remap by DH & MRC 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.