24 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

MRC don't map out the strat up noise - they advised me that their map reduces start up revs which has effect of "lessening the rattle"

On mine the initial rev dies down quickly and the rattle is still there at low rpm unless in dynamic. The noise I was on about is the ticking if you add a down pipe. I thought they had mapped that issue out unless I’m getting confused.

c2wak

c2wak

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMorpeth, Northumberland
I was told today by miltek themselves that the valves they use are Audis and hence even getting one of their aftermarket back boxes would not resolve the constant ticking after a decat. I have got mine booked in this Saturday to have my valves welded open to see if the noise still occurs. If it does I will be having a custom back box fabricated.

Edited by c2wak, 09 May 2018 - 07:55 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Now I understand Shaun has already tried disconnecting the valves to see if it stopped the rattle but I have an idea. I understand the start up rattle is something we have to live with and I’m not fussed about scrolling to dynamic before starting, but it’s worth still investigating the downpipe ticking further. If anyone with a downlipe is interested I will order one of the electronic valve controllers and before fitting it to mine would let someone try on their car first. I would even check all the connections and help them do it to save time and make sure we get it right in a decent time frame.

Let me know if anyone is interested, although I doubt Billy wants to pop over to Hampshire. 😂

c2wak

c2wak

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
The Start up noise is not the issue. We have a ticking on the fl as soon as you decat. It's apparent all the time but primarily valves closed.
I have had my valves welded open, I have taken off the solonoids, still we have the issue. I know a lad who's exhaust is turbo back from scorpion and Billy who used miltek who both use Audi valves. We don't know for sure that the noise is valve related yet.
I was told that armytrix and bullx exhausts do not exhibit the problem but who knows till we have proof otherwise. Someone suggested this noise is a wastegate noise and in which case a different backbox or valves won't solve it. It would require cat putting back on potentially. This lad who's car was scorpion dev car is back tomorrow to take valves out. Hopefully know tomorrow.

c2wak

c2wak

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So had a lad off this forum who's car was scorpion development back in to see them. Turns out it doesn't look like the valves, noise appears to be coming from the front of the car.
We have heard from iroz that it doesn't occur with a bigger turbo aka wastegate. So could be a noisey wastegate. Not sure what that would sound like.
The saga continues.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.