• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Buchrs3

Buchrs3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
So i personally think the facelift sports exhaust is much quieter then the pre fl. I’ve read in Audi sport that the pre fl exhaust can be retro fitted into the facelift. This being louder because it has an extra branch being the crossover pipe. Fl does not have this extra branch and it’s quieter because of that. Anyone knw where to source fro apart from Audi.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Could you get a metal fabricator to weld in that little pipe on the LHS?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

Nath

Nath

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

People are suggesting its got to do with the tune.. Australian delivered cars already come with the secondary cats removed and still angry they wont pop like pre-fl examples. 

Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+ 
TomCat TC600 hybrid | E-Tuners Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart Em Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Rays Forged ZE40's 1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
Are the module plugs for the exhaust valves on the PFL model 3pin and the wiring on the FL 4 pin? These are fitted on the back box. Also are the pops created by the dynamic engine map on the PFL different to FL as this is what creates the noise other than the exhaust?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Are the module plugs for the exhaust valves on the PFL model 3pin and the wiring on the FL 4 pin? These are fitted on the back box. Also are the pops created by the dynamic engine map on the PFL different to FL as this is what creates the noise other than the exhaust?

Engine map for pops as I understand it a little drop of fuel on overrun.

Yes I believe older cars are 3 pin and newer are four pin

Don’t forget the manifold / turbo design coupled with Aluminium bottom end will affect the tone of the FL engine and exhaust noise.

Although people still say after hearing mine it’s no quieter than the one I had before.

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
👍nice one Sean, as they say every days a school day especially on here mate.

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
👍nice one Sean, as they say every days a school day especially on here mate.

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I read somewhere that the fl RS3 is the first Audi to meet the new upcoming EU noise emission that’s set to come in in the next year or two so that’s probably why it doesn’t sound that loud compared with the pfl RS3. As I currently own a fl RS3 with the optional sports exhaust I can testify that it pops and crackles quite frequently in dynamic mode and I would say that it’s loud, does that mean that it’s even louder if it was the pfl exhaust because it already sounds like hell being unleashed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
PFL is on another level noise wise but handling and tech is much better on the FL so I’m told👍

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I like the idea of cutting open the cat and removing the insides before neatly seam welder back together. I have a really good welder who I think could do this, if Audi don't have another way to detect this.

Penetrator

Penetrator

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Before Exhaust Mod

https://youtu.be/YivsXHnL-i4

After Exhaust Mod

https://youtu.be/fS2gzUxaTJw

Little drive away

https://youtu.be/tCghH05Piik

This is my car and it now sounds epic under load

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Back in the day I had a Mini Cooper 1.3i that I welded a scaffolding tube from front to back with a Peco back box on the end, for a small 1275 cc engine it made a massive racket and people could hear me driving down the road in the next village, if I was visiting my parents my mum would hear me 10 minutes before I arrived and she’d have me a cuppa tea ready and waiting for me, that’s what an exhaust should sound like, not an exhaust that sounds like someone farting

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Back in the day I had a Mini Cooper 1.3i that I welded a scaffolding tube from front to back with a Peco back box on the end, for a small 1275 cc engine it made a massive racket and people could hear me driving down the road in the next village, if I was visiting my parents my mum would hear me 10 minutes before I arrived and she’d have me a cuppa tea ready and waiting for me, that’s what an exhaust should sound like, not an exhaust that sounds like someone farting

Yes back in the days when you could have a pinto engine with a 4-2-1. manifold and 1 straight through mid box. :-)

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Before Exhaust Mod

https://youtu.be/YivsXHnL-i4

After Exhaust Mod

https://youtu.be/fS2gzUxaTJw

Little drive away

https://youtu.be/tCghH05Piik

This is my car and it now sounds epic under load

What mods did you do?

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Penatrator - can you explain a bit more about the 2 stages? On the pre mod it is definitely quieter at first but part way through sound pretty good.

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It just sounds like going from standard to dynamic mode

Penetrator

Penetrator

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

What mods did you do?

Car had no secondary cats so no need to delete them, so the 2 resonators were straightpiped however they weren’t really doing a great deal anyway once we opened them up, then the backbox was opened up and there was quite a lot of sound to be made from inside as there was a fair bit of perforations, material and empty chambers for the sound to just fizzle out. So all perforations were all covered, material removed and then inside all the empty chambers were by passed by straight piping the inside of the backbox.

So all told the system is straight through from the cats. All the welding was done on the top side so from underneath you can’t tell any works been done. PCW Exhaust mods is the guy who did it as he’s done my F80 M3 and F82 M4. He does this type of mod to Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, pretty much all performance cars. Highly recommended.

Penetrator

Penetrator

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Honestly the systems is fantastic now, the videos don’t do it justice funny old thing.

Penetrator

Penetrator

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Penatrator - can you explain a bit more about the 2 stages? On the pre mod it is definitely quieter at first but part way through sound pretty good.

Sorry mate I’m confused as to what you mean lol

The video started with exhaust flaps closed the half way through I opened them by going from Comfort to Dynamic

Buchrs3

Buchrs3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Car had no secondary cats so no need to delete them, so the 2 resonators were straightpiped however they weren’t really doing a great deal anyway once we opened them up, then the backbox was opened up and there was quite a lot of sound to be made from inside as there was a fair bit of perforations, material and empty chambers for the sound to just fizzle out. So all perforations were all covered, material removed and then inside all the empty chambers were by passed by straight piping the inside of the backbox.

So all told the system is straight through from the cats. All the welding was done on the top side so from underneath you can’t tell any works been done. PCW Exhaust mods is the guy who did it as he’s done my F80 M3 and F82 M4. He does this type of mod to Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, pretty much all performance cars. Highly recommended.

So the works hidden away. Is it safe to say warranty will not be an issue?

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.