Photo

So which would you buy and why?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Circa 60K To spend, which do you buy? (Or if none what else?) (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which car?

1. RS3 (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. RS6 (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. RS7 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. R8 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

This is exactly the dilemma I find myself in at present but with a 50-55k budget. The 8P has been a great car but nearly 4 years into ownership and I do have itchy feet. The 8V is a nice car but I can't find one with the spec I would settle for (unless RobRS sells up!) but even then you have to look at the level of kit you get with the RS6 or RS7.

The only R8 I would consider having driven all the variants of the first gen is the V10+ with s-tronic and they ain't in budget yet and not likely for a while. RS5 saloon is slow, cabby is nice but way too pricey for what it is, B8 RS4 again slow and a backward step for me anyway, may as well go back to a B7.

But I find myself in the same situation as R55ENS, the practicalities of parking. Fortunately we are considering moving so a house with a driveway would open up the possibility. As for the dynamics, yes a '3 would be more nimble etc. however I don't blat around B-roads that much anymore so bahn storming is what I need nowadays but I would have a 7 over a 6. Bit more exclusive, dropped a lot more in price as seen as lesser to the 6. Went to seen a 2014 Daytona pre-facelift '7; carbon interior and exterior pack, Akrapovic exhaust, ceramics, sunroof, 15k miles, dynamic pack, B&O, the list goes on and £58k. Now that is a lot of kit for a car, far more than on an 8V but ironically the seller decided not to sell anymore! 

The 8P is not doing anything wrong so I may just hold out a bit longer, see 6's and 7's drop sub 50K and also to see if the haloed 8VF saloon does make an appearance on these shores.

Edited by P_G, 07 August 2016 - 07:56 AM.

IOWRS3

IOWRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Mmmm i get what you mean the differneces between them all create a dilemma as they all have positives and negatives. Mainly positives but still!

I agree that if i were ever to go R8 i would want the faclift and i would want the same v10+ with an s tronic gearbox. Looks better drives better and quicker. But theyre still a minimum of about 70k+ currently. If they dropped or a budget was large enough id find it difficult not to get one, i dont have or plan to have kids i rarely take anything more in the car then some food shopping and even rarer than that have more than me or my partner in the car. Plus you can always just get a secondary daily or trip car.

But yeah for me the only thing i can see wrong is the pure size of the 6 and 7. Weirdly i prefer the 6 evem though up until the last year or so i never liked estate cars, i feel even though theyre the same size the 6 doesnt look quite as gargantuan as the 7. This is where for me with mainly a and b roads the 3 does come into its own being the smallesr and most nimble but then once again in the middle is the r8 not as small but not as big as the 6/7.

Plus like ive said the R8just has that air about it being a supercar... makes it a little special.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
RS4 ain't slow :/

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Probably not, just feels it.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Maybe not but after having one for a period last year, it made the RS 3 feel like it had warp drive

IOWRS3

IOWRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Well no still sub 5 sec 0-60 sprint which in everyday use and compared to 90% of cars its very quick. I just feel like if i was going to go estate the RS6 is the way to go.

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

I think the RS3 is quicker up to around the 60 mark, at which point the big engined RS4 feels like it pulls harder to me. At illegal speeds the RS4 is very quick indeed.

I've never liked estate cars, always preferring the saloon versions but Audi's refusal to make any RS saloons since the last gen RS6 forced to go with an estate. Even though I didn't oringally like the big arse of the RS6 it has grown on me and always looked better to me than the awful rear of the RS7. And the estate has proved to be really useful. My garage is now empty of all that crap that had been collecting and is a regalar sight at the local tip. But... it is bloody big. When I first started driving it, it felt so much bigger than the 4. Reminded me of being  a 17 year old driving my dad's Transit. But you soon get used to it and quickly feels normal again.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I'd say after reading this that most are happy in owning the RS 3 (8p or 8v).

IOWRS3

IOWRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

I think the RS3 is quicker up to around the 60 mark, at which point the big engined RS4 feels like it pulls harder to me. At illegal speeds the RS4 is very quick indeed.

I've never liked estate cars, always preferring the saloon versions but Audi's refusal to make any RS saloons since the last gen RS6 forced to go with an estate. Even though I didn't oringally like the big arse of the RS6 it has grown on me and always looked better to me than the awful rear of the RS7. And the estate has proved to be really useful. My garage is now empty of all that crap that had been collecting and is a regalar sight at the local tip. But... it is bloody big. When I first started driving it, it felt so much bigger than the 4. Reminded me of being a 17 year old driving my dad's Transit. But you soon get used to it and quickly feels normal again.

Yeah i think its a case of the 3 is quicker on 0-60 but the 4 is quicker in the 0-100 (i may be wrong).

Yeah i have to agree ive never liked estate cars before, always thought they were if you needed it or you were old! But the 6 just looks like such a beast, especially lowered with all blacked out or even i think sepang with black pack etc looks so damn good! Definitely prefer the look to the RS7. Never liked the small retractable wing on most of the Audi cars and just feel it doesnt look all that special. The size would be the only thing to put me off the RS6 but then i think as soon as youve had it a couple weeks driving it everyday youd be used to it and not even noticethe size like youve said.

And yeah T-800 i think its a fairly good point, i thinkany of these cars and 99% of people would be happy. The only reason really started this is because ive potentially just landed myself a better job with a much larger income and i am now in the voat of debating what i get with a littlw more money to play with.

Edited by IOWRS3, 07 August 2016 - 09:56 PM.

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

RS6 is tool boring, real big car which is an issue for parking, shopping etc, wife hated driving it

8p cracking car, Audi could have spent or money on sound proofing though. My father in-laws 308 diesel has less road noise. Had to go down south over the weekend. Me driving (cracking on) 430 miles averaged 31.8mpg. Wife drove car home 36.5mpg.Fanatasic for a car with this much go. The RS6 would have emptied my bank account on that journey.

I reckon I will end up with an 8V. Although the P is great I want comfier suspension and the newer tech of the V. Be interesting to see what the new RS3 looks like so I may wait till then to decide.

RS4 / 5 no turbos so not interest for me. I hear the news ones will but if Audi want 50k for a tt I guess the 4&5 will be much the same if not more.

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

B9 RS4 will likely be around the C63 or M3/4 price mark, £60K

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

RS6 is tool boring, real big car which is an issue for parking, shopping etc, wife hated driving it

I told you you should have bought an RS6 on springs not air.

Once lowered with a proper alignment it transforms the handling. Uprated anti-rolls bars might be needed to contain the roll a little.

IOWRS3

IOWRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Once lowered with a proper alignment it transforms the handling. Uprated anti-rolls bars might be needed to contain the roll a little.

Think i would definitely lower the car if i ever had one. Esepcially cause the adjustable springs are 700 for front and back. Is the choice between the air and springs something that is pre chosen? For example if purchasing a second hand one will they have one or the other or is it an aftermarket choice

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

It is a choice made when ordering. I doubt it will be reasonably possible to retrofit either way so you'd have to change your car if you changed your mind. I don't think the £700 KW adjustable springs go as low as my H&R 40mm springs which are on about £200. No brainer for me. H&R also do a 20mm option for the same price. So as long as your car sits level then the H&R springs are a better option if you ask me.

Whilst the air car is more than capable of going round bends fast it isn't anywhere near as much fun as a car on DRC and springs. Yes it's still a big heavy car but hides it much better and once lowered / aligned it becomes fun to throw around (alhtough still rools too much).

Edited by MikeFish, 08 August 2016 - 01:21 PM.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
These are all very different cars in terms of capability and what they are designed for so direct comparisons in performance or economy are somewhat pointless.

You're two comparing autobahn cruisers to a hot hatch and what some class as an entry level Supercar.

Built for completely different things, aimed at different markets with different uses.

Surely any decision on your next car would be initially based on what you actually want from it in terms of space/size/performance/economy ?

For instance as much as I'd love an R8 wth a photography business and two kids it's totally out of the question as really would be the RS3.

I'd be comparing the RS4 and RS6 for my needs as I want the space.

The 3 was undoubtably better along narrow winding country lanes than my 4 but not a patch on the motorway or long trips.... But that's what they are both built for.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

These are all very different cars in terms of capability and what they are designed for so direct comparisons in performance or economy are somewhat pointless.
You're two comparing autobahn cruisers to a hot hatch and what some class as an entry level Supercar.
Built for completely different things, aimed at different markets with different uses.
Surely any decision on your next car would be initially based on what you actually want from it in terms of space/size/performance/economy ?
For instance as much as I'd love an R8 wth a photography business and two kids it's totally out of the question as really would be the RS3.
I'd be comparing the RS4 and RS6 for my needs as I want the space.
The 3 was undoubtably better along narrow winding country lanes than my 4 but not a patch on the motorway or long trips.... But that's what they are both built for.

You've hit the nail on the head Steve ,it makes me laugh all this comparing they might aswell throw a Used Bentley Continental in the mix aswell ,used examples are the same as a basic spec RS 3 . It's alright people saying about buying these used high performance 100k new cars they're forgetting to factor in the running costs ,there's lots of threads about people moaning about the cost of servicing an RS3 they're talking about cars that'll cost 3 times as much to run .

paulmc

paulmc

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Not sure it would have made any difference. A guy I kart with had one on springs and more or less his complaints about the car were the same as mine. He moved to a Focus RS and loves it. I did consider one but manual box put me off.

The RS3 is so close to being perfect for me but not just quite there yet. Only the next few months will tell. Keep the 8P and make it faster, quieter and comfier or replace it with an 8V. I am sure I will have fun along the way

BMW X3MC

2019 RS3 Saloon Sold

Rs3owner

Rs3owner

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Not sure it would have made any difference. A guy I kart with had one on springs and more or less his complaints about the car were the same as mine. He moved to a Focus RS and loves it. I did consider one but manual box put me off.

The RS3 is so close to being perfect for me but not just quite there yet. Only the next few months will tell. Keep the 8P and make it faster, quieter and comfier or replace it with an 8V. I am sure I will have fun along the way

I really found the focus rs slightly dull in the power deliver , not as exciting as the older mk2.

Please don't forget to test drive the f-type s or r !

It's an amazing car to drive

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

RS3 is a compromise and a distillation of some if not many of the best bits from other cars we love, have loved or just drool over. I did 2 seaters for long enough, mainly to be selfish but realistically because I hated carrying a huge empty and unused space in the back around with me. More car = more weight and less fun. I did 4 seaters because occasionally I needed them, had plenty but they were generally slower, aside from a few I messed with and some with large V8 or V12 engines. 

So what do you do, you get a 911 or something similar, sporty with a conscience and "4" seats. but no, it's just a car people want to take you on with and that gets really, really boring - and it's not particularly cheap to run either.

Back to everyday cars - I had an A3 3.2, loved it. Practical, fast, economical enough and 4wd so I jumped into the car ads and listed a few desirable items :

Turbo - because, dear reader, that way lies much happiness in tuning heaven

0-60 - something under 5 seconds 'cos I'm used to it.

mpg - something above 25 mpg so I don't blow my drinking money at the petrol pump

engine size - more than 2.0, less than 3.5 - see mpg

auto/dsg - because I am too damn lazy to do it myself and rush hour traffic hurts your leg if you have a clutch.

doors - hatchback for practicality - takes me and the wife and luggage to the airport - and because it's not a saloon

Colour - I actually wanted anything not black, probably grey, ended up Misano Red which I absolutely love. (Only ever had one red car before, a seriously rotted XJ-S V12 with a broken kickdown cable.)

4WD - because I live in possibly the wettest part of the UK with the crappiest roads and there's cold stuff on them most of the year

Rarity - something which is desirable though not necessary, and which maintains the value of a decent car

Audi - well, despite all the criticism I can level at them, I've only been let down a couple of times in maybe 15-20 years - the RAC have made a fortune out of me!

Put that all together and there's only one result. RS3 8p

I'll leave it at that since the food's out and I'm hungry.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

You've hit the nail on the head Steve ,it makes me laugh all this comparing they might aswell throw a Used Bentley Continental in the mix aswell ,used examples are the same as a basic spec RS 3 . It's alright people saying about buying these used high performance 100k new cars they're forgetting to factor in the running costs ,there's lots of threads about people moaning about the cost of servicing an RS3 they're talking about cars that'll cost 3 times as much to run .

I'd disagree with both of you on this one and a Continental has 2 doors, not 5 so no use to me anyway and a Spur is definitely too big. The R8 would only ever be a consideration if I then bought another family car for the family so I've already put that one aside. Having researched running costs they are not that much higher than for the '3 bar the increase in oil capacity / price and what Audi try to charge for diagnostics. Brake consumables roughly the same, plugs slightly more expensive because 8 instead of 5 but finding the right '6 or 7' and some are on service plans so no real costs for a while. Plus next year if I were to look at an RS3 if they bring one out you'd be hit with the new excise duty which will be a lot more than road tax on a '6 or '7. Insurance is also cheaper believe it or not, so it is well worth looking at 50K (perhaps not £60k as the OP stipulated) on a used version as opposed to 50K on a brand new RS3. Budget another 20% on running costs and I'm back at RS4 running costs. for the type and mileage I do with stronger residuals as further down its depreciation curve, greater exclusivity in the case of the '7 and a set of brakes that appear to work given how many 8V owners are complaining already! :ph34r:

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.