Garage View Garage

Modified B6 S4 saloon before the RS4 and now RS3

Nobber

Nobber

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Having owned/own both I can safely say, don't do it!!!

The RS4 is fabulous on paper, I thought it was the car of my dreams, but it turned out to be a slow heavy lump that made a nice noise!  Don't get me wrong though, glad I owned one, ticked a box on my to own list but it wasn't for me.

My car ownership rules are simple:

Running costs > Enjoyment = Get rid
Enjoyment > Running costs = Keep it

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I actually liked the S6 we had for 6 weeks last year more.
The twin turbo lump in that was fantastic.

Even in de-tuned form
c4fe5b334a1ec5a91330dd58c803cb87.jpg

680d1c6ef495d2b0f2892729cdac0934.jpg

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

I have some videos of mine:

And how it sounds now with standard exhaust that has had the centre resonator welded out (about £100) and the valves disconnected (free and about 2 minutes work):

No picture on this one as I forgot to take lens cap off:

BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Thanks, Mike. :)

I know an exhaust can sound very different in real life but it sounds to me like the earth-shaking, bassy rumble of the V8 that I love so much gets drowned out by the rasp of the Tubi.

Mikers4

Mikers4

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
I've added some videos of mine to that link above don't know why it won't let me post them on here

stevo_123uk

stevo_123uk

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

i had a b7 RS4, i loved it but it became difficult to live with every day, the carbon build up kills them, whilst it makes a great noise they are far from fast unless they are actually moving (80-90mph +) mines ran 350bhp when choked up never bothered running it again after i got it fixed. For a big bus (i had an avant on bilstein coilovers it handled amazing) but i just go so bored of it after a year but i stuck it out and held onto it for nearly 2 years before moving to the RS3, i wouldnt hesitate owning another Audi V8 as the noise is addictive but only if it was boosted

stage 2 8p 445BHP 518lb ft

MikeFish

MikeFish

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts
Carbon won't make you have 350bhp, there were other issues most probably a vacuum leak which are easy go fix and most of the time are inadvertently fixed when putting the car back together after a carbon clean hence why people assume it is the carbon causing the big loss.
For me carbon is a non issue. Accept the fact that the car has 385ish bhp rather than 414bhp and forget about the carbon. It makes no difference other than bragging numbers.
For a car that old it still drives fantastically and looks amazing. And it is widely considered the greatest RS Audi ever made hence why the prices are still so strong. And surely it will be a future classic. I've seen Sierra Cosworths advertised for well over £100k. I don't think it will be long until we start seeing low mileage mint cars going for silly money.

Mikers4

Mikers4

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
My b7 had a vacuum leak and cause loss of power and other issues was fixed with a sensor that collapsed on the drivers wing under the air box replaced this and car run sweet as a nut with plenty poke about it even mine at stage 2 would never have made the claimed figures even with a carbon clean would have still been short which I wasn't worried about as it gave scoobys,evo's and m3's a run for there money on the 1/4 mile and I got a 12.9 out of a full car on road tyres which I got told was a good achievement also had a good race with a r8 on the 1/4 mile with it

stevo_123uk

stevo_123uk

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Carbon won't make you have 350bhp, there were other issues most probably a vacuum leak which are easy go fix and most of the time are inadvertently fixed when putting the car back together after a carbon clean hence why people assume it is the carbon causing the big loss.
For me carbon is a non issue. Accept the fact that the car has 385ish bhp rather than 414bhp and forget about the carbon. It makes no difference other than bragging numbers.
For a car that old it still drives fantastically and looks amazing. And it is widely considered the greatest RS Audi ever made hence why the prices are still so strong. And surely it will be a future classic. I've seen Sierra Cosworths advertised for well over £100k. I don't think it will be long until we start seeing low mileage mint cars going for silly money.

sorry to disagree but it was checked and double checked, the car was making max power over 2000RPM from circa 6k to the red line, The carbon build up was most definitely to blame for the loss of power as it couldnt get enough air, Regardless the car was amazing just got bored with it

stage 2 8p 445BHP 518lb ft

BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

I drove a B8 RS4 and a W204 C63 (with Performance Pack) last weekend. The C63 is something that I've wanted to drive for a really, really long time. What a disappointment. The engine was as magnificent as I was expecting it to be, and the ceramic brakes were mighty, but the rest of the car was a real letdown.

The interior felt very low-rent (not something I ever thought I'd say about a Merc) compared to the B8's. The seats were nowhere near as comfortable. The dash displays and infotainment all felt thoroughly out-of-date. But the worst thing of all - the one that really ruined it for me - was the gearbox. It was a facelift so it had the MCT (Mercedes' dual-clutch effort). Awful: sluggish upshifts (I had time to pull the paddle and take my hand completely off the wheel before the gear changed) and lazy downshifts. It was so bad that I asked to have a go in an E63 at the same dealership to make sure the 'box in the C-Class wasn't a dud. It was exactly the same. I tried all of the different driving modes and every different throttle position, to no avail.

The Audi's shifts by contrast were seamless and almost instant. I also think the snorts, pops, rumbles and blips were more pronounced in the RS4, even if it is lacking in overall aural drama compared to the lovely 6.2 in the AMG.

A huge surprise for me. The C63 is off my shortlist and I'm now on the hunt for a B8 RS4.  B)

Edited by BillTheButcher, 13 April 2016 - 07:36 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.