• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

TheLegate

TheLegate

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hello dear viewers.

I'm just in a bit of a pickle in deciding between a Golf R MK7 and an RS3.

The main difference is that the Golf is a 14 model, and the RS3 is about 3 years old now so come another 3/4 years time, the golf will still be relatively new but what about the RS3? Will that still be looking menacing on 2017 roads?

End of the day, 340 horses is 340 horses, no matter what year it is, and personally having the A3 in this shape for the past 3 years, I think it's a beautiful shape and one of those legendary models that will last a long time, especially since the new A3 shape doesn't flush this one down the toilet.

Golf R is newer but the RS3 has an OG vibe to it whereas the Golf is like the hipster.

Both have fantastic performance and look amazing so it's a win win either way.

But I like the idea of keeping the RS3 and doing it up over the years, seems like one of those cars you can live with for a really long time but don't think the R has that kind of long term charm.

Guess the real question is what do you think the RS3 will be like to own in another 3/4 years time as compared to a Golf R? 

To anyone who contributes I thank thee oh good fellow.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Hello,

I think by what you are saying is that you want the RS and need us to convince you ,We of course on the RS forum will always say get one. 

So my friend, get one I promise you will never regret it they are awesome,, 

have you rest driven either of them as yet ?

TheLegate

TheLegate

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thanks for the reply.

One of those where your heart says RS3, mind says R, more of a heart person.

I have not yet driven them, I prefer being surprised, goes with the culture, since I'm Asian I'll be blindfolded come marriage time and get a nasty surprise when I'm led to the bedroom to find a biological monstrosity waiting to consume me whole.. Or take me to the sea to meet her family.

Only joking.

I reckon it will be the RS3, but some funny insurance news though:

Current car:

Audi A3 Sportback 09 1.9tdi

To get insured on a golf R mk7: £127 CHEAPER !!!!

To get insured on a RS3: £20 more!!!

Found this quite shocking.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
I have just moved over to the RS3, after 12 years in 3 different S3's, 2 modified, and the last standard.
While it was no slouch, I fancied a more performance, and a change away from the 4 cylinder engine, that always sound like a diesel when idling and on start up.

Midway through the insurance cost me an £55, but come renewal, I quite expect to beat the previous S3 price, as I've not really shopped about too much as the renewals have been acceptable, and previously it was a PITA listing out the mods and getting them covered correctly, so I stuck with the same insurer.

Real Thing

Real Thing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Regarding insurance The RS3 seems to be a desirable Car with the Scum Bags at the moment and there's a few gone missing my premium was slightly more this year or quotes were coming in with a Tracker needed,

Golf R is on a new platform and as such the technology is going to be better (Although I prefer the shape of the Mk 6)

Heard there's been a few problems with them so far so if your thinking of moding you would probably have to wait a couple of years before you could even get near to a stock RS3 in performance terms Whereas you could have some fun with an RS3 straight the way with a Stage 1 map you have a sub 4 second 0-60 mph supercar.

I'm on my 2nd RS3 sold the 1st one and bought an A45AMG Probably slightly quicker than the RS3 straight out the box but overall I preferred the RS3 so I sold the Merc and bought another RS3, Considered the Golf R but for me the RS3 although slightly dated now is still the better all round package.  

jonniebrads

jonniebrads

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
As above I can only advise you get a RS3 ;) I moved from the focus rs mk2 pushing 400 bhp loads of fun and I didn't want to get rid I liked it a lot my friend works for leeds Audi and said have you ever seen one of these (RS3) and I said no I haven't he took me out in one and that was that I NEEDED ONE RIGHT AWAY.. And I love it I realy do so easy to drive and forget what your in at times when just cruising in D but a small press of the loud peddle and that 5 pot sound ohhhhhhhhhhh heaven not many cars carry the 5 pot and I'm glad as it makes it quite different... Also sorry to hate but as with the new Audi s3s golf rs the outer 2 exhaust tips are fake and that's something that realy bugs me :( there is a golf r mk7 in the underground parking next to mine the outer 2 exhaust tips are like brand new and the inner 2 are all carbon end up in my opinion it looks silly thats not enough to write it off but just me having a rant sorry, just drive them back to back and if you prefer the golf see a doctor ;) ha... Look forward to seing the pictures of your RS3

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
^ the outer tips aren't fake! they are only used when in race mode I beleive.
I have one on order, and the best advise I can offer is drive both vehicles and decide for yourself

www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - VW California hire

www.bmvs.co.uk

Klauster

Klauster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
Garage View Garage

Golf R's are very common, VW have shifted loads of em, RS3 is a Q car, that is one major point I like

FletchRS3

FletchRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Garage View Garage

Golf R's are very common, VW have shifted loads of em, RS3 is a Q car, that is one major point I like

I 100% agree Klauster I've seen one RS3 on the road from having mine nearly 3 years now, I've seen a load of the new golf R's

TheLegate

TheLegate

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Yea you're correct, the Golf R is seemingly becoming common and no doubt due to the crazy low lease deals people are getting. 

The choice is really between the RS3 and the S3 8V.

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate your responses.

Currently looking at an RS3 daytona grey 12 plate with 18k miles + bucket seats, bose and other small things.

Asking price is 35k but asked if I can get a better deal but not sure the seller was too keen.

S3 sportback will be brand new, sepang blue, supersport seats, f38 alloys, techpack, BO sound system, LED headlights, black optics pack which with a bit of discount should come to around £36k I imagine.

There aren't many RS3's about, one I mentioned above is the only one with those extras I've seen so if that goes then I will most likely go the for the S3.

Real Thing

Real Thing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

If your not sorted by mid September and you fancy a Black Low Spec (Cruise, Black Roof Rails, Black Styling Pack & Privacy Glass) but Low Mileage under 9000 62 Plate 2013 Car for just over £30K let me know (Ex Prince Harrys)

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
VW got caught out in June and had over 1100 orders for the R. This rang alarm bells for them, it's not a limited model like the RS3, but this was a ridiculous amount of orders. Mostly were private individuals mis-sold a CH as PCH, as sole traders, VW then cancelled nearly 900 of the orders. It was a complete cock up, and lots of brokers had their fingers burnt.

I appreciate that this is an RS forum so the vote will always got the RS way, but who has actually taken an R for a test drive? It would be good to hear others feedback, and a direct comparison of the RS. And I've driven the new S3, and although it might be more of a direct comparison to the RS, it's not as good a drive as the R, and in my view quite bland unless in a lairy colour.

My 11k 62 Daytona RS, is up for sale if any interest, thought it was sold a couple of weeks back, till the guy got reined in by his missus :-)

www.bmvs.co.uk

FletchRS3

FletchRS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Garage View Garage
I will be honest I haven't drive the Golf R I am sure it will be a lovely car but I am waiting patiently well try to wait patiently for the New RS3 as I am sure it will out do all of them..

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
I'll be test driving the RS too, but I have a sneaky suspicion it will be running a 2.0T, as per the R, in a more highly tuned state. I think emissions and the lighter weight will make this happen, but that's a different topic all together

www.bmvs.co.uk

Klauster

Klauster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
Garage View Garage

there is a lady here at work with a red Golf R, looks ok, although other than the quad tailpipes (that look daft) it looks like a golf... and its not particularly rapid

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

I'm sorry but how many Golf R's are there out there. And they look near identical to GTD's and GTI's. It could be that they are popular however the ludicrously cheap finance on them suggests its more to do with that. Just not exclusive enough for me but granted that doesn't matter a whole lot to everyone.

Next RS3 will be 5-pot BTW.

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

there is a lady here at work with a red Golf R, looks ok, although other than the quad tailpipes (that look daft) it looks like a golf... and its not particularly rapid

But have you driven one? Simple question ;-)

www.bmvs.co.uk

Klauster

Klauster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
Garage View Garage

But have you driven one? Simple question ;-)

Yes, it's not fast enough for me

Klauster

Klauster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
Garage View Garage
I appreciate u have ordered one but nowhere near as cool as the RS3

Oli

Oli

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

I appreciate u have ordered one but nowhere near as cool as the RS3

Define cool for me......

I appreciate you have an RS Tattoo ;-), but I feel you should reserve your continual negative judgment till you've actually driven one. I love the RS, but just because a car is limited and has a five pot engine, doesn't make it the best for me. Its good we are all different.

Another car worth driving is the new Leon Cupra, I drove one at Launch at Mallory Park. Now that is a serious FWD car, the best Ive driven. Again I appreciate you're not going to buy one, but try it, you will be amazed how well it goes, and how well build etc it is :-)

Off to sulk in the four pot corner.........;-)

www.bmvs.co.uk

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.