• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Having owned my 61 plate standard `3` for just over 2 months I have not done much motorway D7 (full auto-top gear) cruising , 90% of my driving is on Welsh `B` roads in Snowdonia.

Today on the M56 on the way back from the super bikes practice at Oulton Park I was in heavy conversation with my mate so stuck the box in full auto and stayed in the inside lane at a steady 60-70mph.

I began to notice there is quite a substantial `whine` which we decided was from the new Eagle F1`s newly fitted last week , however we then noticed that at a regular interval (estimated between 30 sec and 1 min) the `whine` drops in loudness for max 2 seconds followed by what feels like a very mild engine misfire.

The whine sounds like its inside the car and not from the engine , and is not effected by a drop in rpm , I even slipped into N (neutral) and reved the engine , this had no effect to the whine.

If this was an old `conventional` car ie front engine driving thru a single probshaft to rear back axle/diff then I would say it was the diff that was noisy , but on the RS3 it could be any thing ??

The whine is mostly between 60-80 mph and sounds like its underneath ,,, maybe the haldex ??

It can`t be from the engine or turbo (unaffected by engine revs)

It can`t `be the tyres (wouldn't have a regular drop or disappearance)

I put my money on some kind of transmittion noise (but can`t see where the misfire fits in with this) or is this a common thing on the RS3 ,,, anyone got anything similar ???

Boej007

Boej007

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Having owned my 61 plate standard `3` for just over 2 months I have not done much motorway D7 (full auto-top gear) cruising , 90% of my driving is on Welsh `B` roads in Snowdonia.

Today on the M56 on the way back from the super bikes practice at Oulton Park I was in heavy conversation with my mate so stuck the box in full auto and stayed in the inside lane at a steady 60-70mph.

I began to notice there is quite a substantial `whine` which we decided was from the new Eagle F1`s newly fitted last week , however we then noticed that at a regular interval (estimated between 30 sec and 1 min) the `whine` drops in loudness for max 2 seconds followed by what feels like a very mild engine misfire.
The whine sounds like its inside the car and not from the engine , and is not effected by a drop in rpm , I even slipped into N (neutral) and reved the engine , this had no effect to the whine.

If this was an old `conventional` car ie front engine driving thru a single probshaft to rear back axle/diff then I would say it was the diff that was noisy , but on the RS3 it could be any thing ??

The whine is mostly between 60-80 mph and sounds like its underneath ,,, maybe the haldex ??
It can`t be from the engine or turbo (unaffected by engine revs)
It can`t `be the tyres (wouldn't have a regular drop or disappearance)

I put my money on some kind of transmittion noise (but can`t see where the misfire fits in with this) or is this a common thing on the RS3 ,,, anyone got anything similar ???

Have you had any feedback from Audi regarding this?

JonnyG

JonnyG

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLeeds
Garage View Garage

Propshaft bearings perhaps ?

There were quite a few cars with failures of these before the Audi software update.

Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, Sept 2012

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Not done anything about this yet , it doesn't seem to be getting worse , however am really concerned about using launch now!

Will contact local dealer when I come back off hols.

Thanks for response.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

I have a similar noise coming from outside the car which is only audible when off throttle (exhaust/engine noise cancels it out) at 70-80 and decreases with speed. It's only happened since I changed back to my summer F1's so I suspect it is the tyres because one is lightly misshapen but LC works just fine as does everything else although brakes are squealing again, Grrrrr!

Edited by P_G, 21 May 2014 - 07:22 AM.

Boej007

Boej007

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire
As i am too hearing this sound at around this speed i phoned Up and I'm just back from Aberdeen Audi, i had one of the service team out in the car just to confirm i wasnt going off my head. As i was in the passenger seat i heard the sound from a different angle. The technician was putting the tyres syndrome out there but i know for a fact its not. I think its coming from the Dif at the rear. Anyway its booked in for June 10th so we will see what they come back with.

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

That's very interesting Boej007 ,, how old is your `3`? and whats the mileage , mine is 61 plate with just over 20k on the clock.

Its not tyre noise , I`ll put my money on some part of the transmission , like the propshaft bearings as prev suggested, or maybe the Haldex.

Mine is totally unaffected by engine revs , or whatever gear mode is selected. It has to be on the final drive to either the front or back diff units.

Only thing is it only comes at about 60/70 mph speed , you would of thought that if it was the bearings then you would hear some thing at all speeds.

Anyway I`m away until 9th so will be very interested to hear what they say about your car.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Went out last night to see if I could replicate the sound at high speed on dual carriageway I was getting and as suspected, because it was damp and cool conditions I couldn't so I do suspect mine is tyre noise because I do have one tyre that is slightly misshapen.

Boej007

Boej007

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

That's very interesting Boej007 ,, how old is your `3`? and whats the mileage , mine is 61 plate with just over 20k on the clock.

Its not tyre noise , I`ll put my money on some part of the transmission , like the propshaft bearings as prev suggested, or maybe the Haldex.

Mine is totally unaffected by engine revs , or whatever gear mode is selected. It has to be on the final drive to either the front or back diff units.

Only thing is it only comes at about 60/70 mph speed , you would of thought that if it was the bearings then you would hear some thing at all speeds.

Anyway I`m away until 9th so will be very interested to hear what they say about your car.

Mines also a 61 plate 15.5k on the clock. Yes i would be very surprised if mine is not a problem with the rear dif. Cant wait for it to go in now always a bit tentative when knowing something may be wrong.

However soon as i find anything out i'll be sure to let you know 👍

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Any new yet on this??

SapsRS3

SapsRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Had my RS3 just over a week now. On the first drive back noticed a whining coming from the what seemed to be the rear that to got louder further into the 200 mile journey!
Have since taken it into Audi who will be replacing both front wheel bearings and also the rear diff! Not what I wanted a week into ownership but hopefully will sort the issue. Booked in for the 24th so will update after it's done...

Boej007

Boej007

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Any new yet on this??

Im actually working in Brazil at the moment however the car is in the garage at the and im in contact with the service manager. So just waiting to hear what the outcome is and im back in the country next week.

Edited by Boej007, 12 June 2014 - 01:06 AM.

Boej007

Boej007

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire
Just had confirmation that the trasnfer box was causing the whine and has been changed.
Anyone any idea what one of these would cost?
Thank god for a warranty

Edited by Boej007, 17 June 2014 - 01:34 PM.

SapsRS3

SapsRS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Just had confirmation that the trasnfer box was causing the whine and has been changed.
Anyone any idea what one of these would cost?
Thank god for a warranty

Hi Boej007, I asked the dealer for a report on the checks done on mine and was given a copy of the invoice...

The rear diff being replaced on my car is £2800 for the parts :o  :blink:  can only assume a transfer box is more!!

The 2 front wheel bearings are £450...thank **** for warranty!!

Edited by SapsRS3, 17 June 2014 - 03:14 PM.

• Account Removed
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
Oh great where do I start, a very long list of things I was told by Audi created the noise. Changed the ribbed Aux belt and the tensioner based on Audi's advice and it has made very little difference. My 3 whine is from the engine so not sure what else is causing it, Strike Eagle if you do get a resolution from Audi could you please keep us in the know.

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Very interesting indeed ,, I haven't been in to Audi yet , was waiting to see if anyone else had the same....I have however been monitoring my noise very carefully over the last month or so and can report the following:-

On my car I can confirm that it is in some way linked to the slight misfire of the engine.

Allthough the whine/noise only appears between 60-70 mph there is a slight misfire on the engine which only lasts a fraction of a second but when this happens the whine/noise also disappears for this fraction of a second , and I have timed this misfire/break in noise to be at a regular 23-24 seconds.

Also this noise somehow does not sound mechanical , its more like an electrical type sound , similar to an electrical transformer hum!

This leads me to suspect it might be something to do with the Haldex control etc  , also I have put the gear selector in all combinations even `N` but this has zero effect on the noise/misfire which still comes at this 23-24 second interval.

Anyway thank god Ive got plenty of time left on my warrenty!!

STRIKE EAGLE

STRIKE EAGLE

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNORTH WALES

Just seen this old post of mine , forgot about it ..sorry.

Update. Rear whine disappeared when I fitted new tyres to the rear (Goodyear Eagle f1 asy3 235`s)…..must have been tyre noise !!!

Also the `engine misfire or falter or vib whatever you call it at 20sec also decided to disappear by itself (before tyre change) , haven't got a clue what it was , still on same spark plugs / coil packs etc.....happy days for now !!!

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Thanks for the update albeit 6 years later!

ade

ade

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

My 8P had a similar whine, the rear diff had failed, replaced under warranty :)

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.