deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

Hello folks.

I have a 2016 PFL that I fitted MSS kit springs to way back in 2018 @30k miles. Recently @75k miles the suspension has been making big knocking noises and doesn't feel like it's in good shape. My mechanic has informed me 2 of my adaptive dampers are completely shot, so basically I'm gonna have to spend a fortune either way and I figure it's time to work out what to do.

The MSS kits were installed with 2.5cm lower than stock and it looks great (and generally drives great) but the ride quality has always been much harsher than I expected. As far as I know the adaptive dampers were never recalibrated for the new ride height but I've heard conflicting reports of this making no difference at all and being transformative, so I don't know what to believe there lol
My complaint is that the MSS kits were to my understanding meant to be OEM++ with comparable ride but much better control, but my experience is they just feel like stiff springs. Over ramps and bigger bumps they don't really compress much and it's just a bit jarring to be honest.

So basically I have a choice;
* Keep the MSS kits on and hope the new dampers with recalibration will be different

* Go for a different lowering spring

* Go for coilovers

* Go back to the stock springs

I'm not against coilovers but just a bit worried they'll be too firm.

What do you folks recommend?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts

Hello folks.

I have a 2016 PFL that I fitted MSS kit springs to way back in 2018 @30k miles. Recently @75k miles the suspension has been making big knocking noises and doesn't feel like it's in good shape. My mechanic has informed me 2 of my adaptive dampers are completely shot, so basically I'm gonna have to spend a fortune either way and I figure it's time to work out what to do.

The MSS kits were installed with 2.5cm lower than stock and it looks great (and generally drives great) but the ride quality has always been much harsher than I expected. As far as I know the adaptive dampers were never recalibrated for the new ride height but I've heard conflicting reports of this making no difference at all and being transformative, so I don't know what to believe there lol
My complaint is that the MSS kits were to my understanding meant to be OEM++ with comparable ride but much better control, but my experience is they just feel like stiff springs. Over ramps and bigger bumps they don't really compress much and it's just a bit jarring to be honest.

So basically I have a choice;
* Keep the MSS kits on and hope the new dampers with recalibration will be different
* Go for a different lowering spring
* Go for coilovers
* Go back to the stock springs

I'm not against coilovers but just a bit worried they'll be too firm.

What do you folks recommend?

Calibrate Mag ride 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

As far as I know the adaptive dampers were never recalibrated for the new ride height but I've heard conflicting reports of this making no difference at all and being transformative, so I don't know what to believe there lol

Don't have to believe anything, just picture how the system works, It is trying to get the dampers to control to a level they will never get to, no wonder they have failed.

When you use conventional dampers you have to get them to suit your spring height and working range, good thing with mag ride you can tell it the height it needs.

You can see what it is set to on VCDS but to caliberate it you need ODIS or similar.

As above get the ride height set correctly.  :up_it:

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

Well in fairness, it did make sense, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for taking to time to reply lads.
I will tweak the ride height and make sure the new dampers get properly set up!

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.