13 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I’ve been trying without success to buy an LMS carbon bonnet. They are really tight on selling LMS parts to non teams and major body parts requested need proof of damage which makes it almost impossible to order.

So I’m looking at other options but know cf parr’s are often not great fits or quality in general. Does anyone know and good makes and especially ones you have seen fitted.

Here’s a few links I’ve found so far:

https://www.karbelau...age/audi-rs3-fl

https://www.revozpor...automotive/rs3/

https://premiumdeuts...d-hood-level-2/

Sequence

Sequence

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

What are you aiming to achieve with a carbon bonnet, performance or looks?

Weight savings are minima for ours as we already have an aluminium one. 

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

What are you aiming to achieve with a carbon bonnet, performance or looks?

Weight savings are minima for ours as we already have an aluminium one. 

As close to the LMS bonnet as possible for looks. 100% painted and not in carbon.

Attached Images

• B7CAB5D6-0D8D-4CE7-A623-B834855C6300.jpeg

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

As far as I can see the LMS original is a bit of a hack job as a lot of track kits are. Looking at the underside they cut the spars on the lower section. If you are going to use the standard bonnet catch then I don't think your bonnet would last long around where the underside was cut at the back of the vent as a lot of the strength has gone. Bonnet pins would be more forgiving like they use on the LMS as you don't need to slam the bonnet as much but depends on how much of the 'track-look' you want.

A properly made carbon copy with the vent more 'integrated' would likely be stronger but getting a good one is going to be the trick. Personally I have never fitted a kit that has not needed a lot of fettling to fit correctly, more work to get it looking right from close up when painted and often that work is wasted as no matter what you do it will need the same, if not more, a year later. Long since stopped putting stuff on mine and don't do it on other cars either now.

I would like to see the underside of those copy bonnets and a hi-res close up of the bonnet exactly as-supplied to see how much work they would need. Painting it is less forgiving than carbon finish as it does not hide imperfections but you can cover a lot more up with work but the carbon often needs so much filler it defeats the object  :blink:

At least with a full aftermarket bonnet you would not be wrecking a good factory one and could just swap it back if it all went wrong.  :up_it:

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

I remember building a Thundersports Sierra replica (an original below) for the road back in the day and it was a pain in the A$$. No Carbon Fibre back then either. Bonnet looks strangely similar  :)

Sierra-Cox-BH-111092.JPG

Edited by flybynite, 16 October 2021 - 09:38 AM.

Sequence

Sequence

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

As close to the LMS bonnet as possible for looks. 100% painted and not in carbon.

I 100% approve  :lol:

I would avoid premium deutsche, although the quality is great, it is just 1 guy on his own and it takes forever, a pal has a gti tcr and he ordered bonnet and wings in march and still does not have them or any info when he will get them.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I 100% approve :lol:
I would avoid premium deutsche, although the quality is great, it is just 1 guy on his own and it takes forever, a pal has a gti tcr and he ordered bonnet and wings in march and still does not have them or any info when he will get them.

That seriously sucks if he’s parted with the money. It’s really hard knowing which way to go with no one on the forum that’s done it.

Edited by RS777, 16 October 2021 - 11:45 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

A properly made carbon copy with the vent more 'integrated' would likely be stronger but getting a good one is going to be the trick. Personally I have never fitted a kit that has not needed a lot of fettling to fit correctly, more work to get it looking right from close up when painted and often that work is wasted as no matter what you do it will need the same, if not more, a year later. Long since stopped putting stuff on mine and don't do it on other cars either now.

I would like to see the underside of those copy bonnets and a hi-res close up of the bonnet exactly as-supplied to see how much work they would need. Painting it is less forgiving than carbon finish as it does not hide imperfections but you can cover a lot more up with work but the carbon often needs so much filler it defeats the object  :blink:

At least with a full aftermarket bonnet you would not be wrecking a good factory one and could just swap it back if it all went wrong.  :up_it:

These are all good valid points are not only need considering but there is the difficulty in not being able to see any up front. My 406 Coupe in 2000 had a carbon bonnet to replace the very heavy original one and I remember even with a ton of work you could see weave through the paint at certain angles.

Another option is to talk to a very talented aluminium fabricator I been recommended to see if they can do the LMS vent integrated like the aftermarket carbon ones. That way the strengthening can be taken into account at the same time and an oem paint finish achieved. Having been told the type of work they have undertaken and their hourly rate it would be way more expensive but probably the best option in the long run.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

There is a 8v carbon bonnet for sale on Ebay 133701511345  there is the item number

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

There is a 8v carbon bonnet for sale on Ebay 133701511345  there is the item number

Thanks for the heads up Roy. I had a look but I’m looking for one that has a LMS style vent and is paintable. In a couple of weeks I’m going to a fabricators to get some ideas and prices. It might cost more but in the long run it would probably provide a better finish to paint.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Are you a Bank robber by trade ?   :lol:

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Are you a Bank robber by trade ?   :lol:

No just work hard in a boring job so need a hobby.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Golf is much cheaper  :)

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Golf is much cheaper  :)

I used to play golf a lot but spent way too much time. Maybe I will take it up again when I retire lol.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.