• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

After around 10 years in VAG cars it's time to try some of what BMW has to offer and get my first one. I went and test drove an 2018 OG M2 last Friday and was sold after the first few miles. Prior to going I though the noise would be a deal breaker. I was presently surprised with the sound from the N55 in it to be honest. Don't get me wrong I will miss the sound of my PFL. I know most don't consider the original M2 a full M car due to not having a dedicated M engine like the new M2 comp with it's S55 engine. The chassis, M4 diff and brakes sure make up for not having an S designation engine anyway! I've seen a lot of M135i and M140i owners on the forums saying the premium commanded is not worth them upgrading from their current cars. Having access to my wifes tuned M135i and driven the M140i before it certainly is worth the £10K+ in my opinion. The m2 is a much more sorted chassis the either M lite car. I'll no doubt be back in an RS3 at some point in the future though!

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

I think you will like it. I have had far more Darkside cars than VAG. I looked hard at the M2 and tried to make it work but I needed 4 doors and 4 seats and that ruled a lot of cars out including the 911 I actually fancied. M2 is one of the few modern BMWs I like the styling of.

Having had M3s in the past I also got a bit tired of having to have my wits about me every time it is cold and wet, even on the right tyres. I know someone with a current M3 that is having the same problem and most with 911s. It is why I tend to go for AWD and something a bit more planted in all weather now, just getting old I guess  :rolleyes:

I was lucky enough to be dragged round lots of motorsport in the 80s, which is why the sound of the 5-pot brings a lot back for me, but I remember the sound of a BM straight six at full chat too  :D

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Yeah the RWD might get a bit annoying in the wetter months, I will certainly miss the practicality of the AWD set up. I really liked the way it handled compared to the RS3 so I guess compromises have ti be made. Im much the same as you, got a real soft spot for the 5 cylinder but like you say the straight 6 is up there, even with a turbo diluting the engine not slightly.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
*cough*

TX. 6207823a1cf05dd38db7c775c5b06b1d.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

*cough*

TX. 6207823a1cf05dd38db7c775c5b06b1d.jpg

I did see a few posts from you over on BabyBMW! Mine is Alpine White. Not my first choice of colour but it was well spec’d so made a compromise. That is one stunning looking car, they do look good in black. I’m kind of kicking myself for not paying a bit extra and going for a comp.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 29 September 2021 - 03:35 AM.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Both are great cars you can't go wrong with either I'd say. Still getting used to RWD though after 5 years of 4WD ;)

TX.

Nardo RS4

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.