34 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Has anyone fitted 20 inch wheels before and are there any pictures?

I’m considering 18s for the track and just had a mad thought of a set of twenties. I love my OZ Lagerra HLT wheels and see they now do 20s that fit the saloon RS3.

Looking at the diameters my 235/35/19 tyres are 247mm and 245/30/20 would be 255mm, so not a lot in it and easily correct with my adjustable springs. There is already a difference with my staggered set up so it would mean going 245 all round and I don’t want this to make the handling or acceleration worse.

Any views appreciated guys. 👍🏻

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

What width/offset wheels would you be running? Tyre wise you are only 0.5mm from what I am doing so don't think there will be clearance issues. I will know for certain this weekend when I fit my 245/35/19 on the OEM 8.5 wheels

Stating the obvious, the gearing will be higher by 1.07%, what that does to overall acceleration depends on the target speed. Can't see the weight being that different, bit more wheel, bit less tyre.

Handling? bit personal that. I went for the 35 tyre to soften it a bit. I found the ride hard and skittish on the 255/30, even on comfort setting so did not want to go worse on the profile. 245/30 will be shorter sidewall than any of the OEM tyre fitments on the RS3 or TTRS.

I'll get the DCC re-calibrated at some point but not holding any great hope for a big change as they are only a couple of mm out due to settling from new. 

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

What width/offset wheels would you be running? Tyre wise you are only 0.5mm from what I am doing so don't think there will be clearance issues. I will know for certain this weekend when I fit my 245/35/19 on the OEM 8.5 wheels

Stating the obvious, the gearing will be higher by 1.07%, what that does to overall acceleration depends on the target speed. Can't see the weight being that different, bit more wheel, bit less tyre.

Handling? bit personal that. I went for the 35 tyre to soften it a bit. I found the ride hard and skittish on the 255/30, even on comfort setting so did not want to go worse on the profile. 245/30 will be shorter sidewall than any of the OEM tyre fitments on the RS3 or TTRS.

I'll get the DCC re-calibrated at some point but not holding any great hope for a big change as they are only a couple of mm out due to settling from new. 

I have the 255/30 fronts and previously my Scirocco R had 235/30 all round, so for me it’s not too hard a ride. When I bought my OZs there wasn’t a 20 inch option for an RS3 Saloon and a lot of 20s had incompatible offsets required far too much spacer width. It will be great to hear if your 245s fit on the rear ok. Weight won’t be an issue because the forged 20s are still 5kg less than oem without the reduced tyre be accounted for.

This will mean I will be selling my oem wheels & tyres I never used and my excellent condition OZ Lagerra HLT 19s with Michelin tyres.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

It will be great to hear if your 245s fit on the rear ok. 

I ran a bit with the OEM pirelli 255/30 8.5" on the back with no issues and I could easily get my hand around the wheel at all points. Not anticipating 3.5mm to make an issue there (mine is the saloon though can't remember what yours is, might be comparing apples with pears)

The pinch point is the front on about half lock when the outside of the tyre is about 10-12mm from the front arch liner. 3.5mm loss there should be OK but that is affected by wheel offset as the more the wheel moves outboard the more it eats into that space.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I ran a bit with the OEM pirelli 255/30 8.5" on the back with no issues and I could easily get my hand around the wheel at all points. Not anticipating 3.5mm to make an issue there (mine is the saloon though can't remember what yours is, might be comparing apples with pears)

The pinch point is the front on about half lock when the outside of the tyre is about 10-12mm from the front arch liner. 3.5mm loss there should be OK but that is affected by wheel offset as the more the wheel moves outboard the more it eats into that space.

I’m really surprised a 255 would fit in the rear and I’ve probably worried about fitting 245s unnecessarily then. I have 255s on the front on a 9.0 wheel atm and 8.5 rears.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
20s didn’t work out for me on the 8P. Smaller profile, tighter on the arches meant tyre rub then you have to lift the car to accommodate which then looks too high. Turns out to be a costly exercise when changing from 19s to 20s to 19s again. I’d stick to stock setup and invest in the oem vents instead

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

I’m really surprised a 255 would fit in the rear and I’ve probably worried about fitting 245s unnecessarily then. I have 255s on the front on a 9.0 wheel atm and 8.5 rears.

255 don't fit on the SB rear but there is a lot more room on the Saloon. It was the Pirelli 255 though, other makes sit wider but I could get my hand all round that 255 pirelli at the back. Mine is stock height though, no plan on changing that.

Why don't you try your front wheels on the back like I did? Easy job if it is on a lift at Regal

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

255 don't fit on the SB rear but there is a lot more room on the Saloon. It was the Pirelli 255 though, other makes sit wider but I could get my hand all round that 255 pirelli at the back. Mine is stock height though, no plan on changing that.

Why don't you try your front wheels on the back like I did? Easy job if it is on a lift at Regal

It's been found that the 255 PZeros are the same width as 235 MPS4s @ 235mm wide.

Dell.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

It's been found that the 255 PZeros are the same width as 235 MPS4s @ 235mm wide.

Dell.

Not quite as simple as that unfortunately, I measured the R02 Pirelli 255 at 225mm across the treads, the non-R02 255 Pirelli was about 245. The R02 does have the massive rim protector that makes it 255 where the non-R02 does not.

Thanks to the 'experts' at the supplying Audi Dealership I had both R02 and non-R02 on the car and I could easily get a gloved hand round both when I put the wider wheels on the back.to check clearance.

The Saloon has a lot more room because the body sits wider but the internals seem the same. (hence the different offset between SB and Saloon OEM wheels)

I prefer to check things myself but there are quite a few people Stateside running square 255/30 MP4S on 8.5x19 on a Saloon (more Saloons over there) with no rubbing. Measuring it myself I can't see it being a problem either but I chose to go 245/35 instead for a bit more sidewall on the tyre and better fit on the OEM 8.5x19

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

20s didn’t work out for me on the 8P. Smaller profile, tighter on the arches meant tyre rub then you have to lift the car to accommodate which then looks too high. Turns out to be a costly exercise when changing from 19s to 20s to 19s again. I’d stick to stock setup and invest in the oem vents instead

You gotta love a tryer.

I tell you what Jay, I’ll buy your vents if you buy one of my sets of wheels. 😁👍🏻

Edited by StuW13, 06 April 2021 - 01:56 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Just checked and I don’t think there’s enough room for my 255 Michelin tyres on the rear. I remember reading the Pilot Sport 4 S is the widest of all the mainstream tyre brands for a 255.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Just checked and I don’t think there’s enough room for my 255 Michelin tyres on the rear. I remember reading the Pilot Sport 4 S is the widest of all the mainstream tyre brands for a 255.

What offset are your wheels?

https://www.audi-spo...ls-pics.393724/

Depends whether you believe him about "rubbing" or "really trying" but like I say I could get 30mm of gloved hand round those Pirellis. I'll let you know next week what the 245 PS4S are like if they are done by then.  :up_it:

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I see there are 3 tyre sizes that Michelin do for a 245/30/20:

Pilot Sport 4S
Pilot Sport Cup 2
Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect

Any idea on which are better as a Summer tyre? I saw some nice looking Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tyres but they don’t do them in the correct size.

Edited by StuW13, 06 April 2021 - 02:17 PM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Stu.

I wouldn't say the MPS4s were the widest if when measured the 255 is actually 255 unlike the RO2 which come up under size.

T800 actually did an in depth posting on this subject where he showed the difference in size between the OEM Pirellis v Michelin's.
Dell.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

I see there are 3 tyre sizes that Michelin do for a 245/30/20:

Pilot Sport 4S
Pilot Sport Cup 2
Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect

Any idea on which are better as a Summer tyre? I saw some nice looking Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tyres but they don’t do them in the correct size.

Have you watched this?

https://www.tyrerevi...-S-vs-Cup-2.htm

Connect is only useful if you have the connect system I think. 

Edited by flybynite, 06 April 2021 - 04:56 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Stu.

I wouldn't say the MPS4s were the widest if when measured the 255 is actually 255 unlike the RO2 which come up under size.

T800 actually did an in depth posting on this subject where he showed the difference in size between the OEM Pirellis v Michelin's.
Dell.

Pirelli 255 vs MPSS 235

52e1021fd165946ad97ccadeb0e3aedf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Stu.

Dell.

I read a thread on the Scirocco owners club where they measured 5 or 6 main brand tyres and it was to show they weren’t the actual size they said, except the Michelin which was spot on. Basically showing the BS of saying they are bigger to get sales. But like going to the rolling road giving the highest figures.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Have you watched this?

https://www.tyrerevi...-S-vs-Cup-2.htm

Connect is only useful if you have the connect system I think. 

Well according to this video for a Summer track focused tyre it is saying the Cup 2 is the better tyre, so I’m assuming it would be the same for acceleration.

What always confuses me is lots of high end fast cars have 30 profile tyres due to stiffer tyre walls but the RS3 LMS looks like it has 40s?

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Well according to this video for a Summer track focused tyre it is saying the Cup 2 is the better tyre, so I’m assuming it would be the same for acceleration.

What always confuses me is lots of high end fast cars have 30 profile tyres due to stiffer tyre walls but the RS3 LMS looks like it has 40s?

The tyre size on the LMS will likely be dictated by regulation for the series it competes in. They will have the suspension tuned to suit

You are getting into a minefield here  :D  but IMHO thin sidewalls and the drive for bigger wheels are just fashion.

For acceleration there is the theory that a larger sidewall allows you to produce a bigger contact patch with the correct tyre pressure. You don't see many drag strip cars with 30 profile tyres?

For handling, having some sidewall helps with weight transfer and can take some jobs off the suspension allowing it to be more focussed. 

I remember having a proper dressing down from one of the guys at Lotus when I did some work for them, I asked about putting bigger wheels on my Esprit, you'd have thought I had just burned the factory down from the reaction. :wacko:

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

The more I look into this the more I am thinking of just sticking to the 19s and buying a set of track wheels. I can get the Nankang 245/40/18 tyres, but would like to see if I could fit the OZ Lagerra HLT 18s with the current brake callipers. 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.