13 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Has anyone been using the Ross-Tech VCDS unit in their RS3? I gave read on the IE site the following which looks pretty good if it works:

Another little trick is a tweak to the way the factory Haldex AWD system functions. This quick trick costs nothing with a Ross-Tech VCDS cable. It's very simple: Go into the AWD module, go to adaptations, and find the one for wiring. Change it from ‘Normal’ to ‘Increased Traction.’ This will cause your all-wheel drive to kick in faster and more aggressively.

Any anyone tried this and what are your thoughts?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I’ve seen people mention it online but never tried it myself. I wonder if that’s what Golf R/S3 Haldex is programmed to from factory? They seem to suffer far more with sludge build up in the Haldex gauze.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Has anyone been using the Ross-Tech VCDS unit in their RS3? I gave read on the IE site the following which looks pretty good if it works:

Another little trick is a tweak to the way the factory Haldex AWD system functions. This quick trick costs nothing with a Ross-Tech VCDS cable. It's very simple: Go into the AWD module, go to adaptations, and find the one for wiring. Change it from ‘Normal’ to ‘Increased Traction.’ This will cause your all-wheel drive to kick in faster and more aggressively.

Any anyone tried this and what are your thoughts?

Lol that’s been around ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Lol that’s been around ages.

Thanks for that T800, have you tried it or read anything about anyone who has?

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I’ve seen people mention it online but never tried it myself. I wonder if that’s what Golf R/S3 Haldex is programmed to from factory? They seem to suffer far more with sludge build up in the Haldex gauze.

Funny you should say that because I have just read a few Golf Rs suffered failure due to that issue. I heard of an RS3 as well so I’ve booked it for a Hadex rear diff service at the same time.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Funny you should say that because I have just read a few Golf Rs suffered failure due to that issue. I heard of an RS3 as well so I’ve booked it for a Hadex rear diff service at the same time.

Stu.

Audi just change the oil but don't pull out the pump to check/clean the oil strainer in front of the pump.

I've changed the oil/filter on mine & found no debris on the pump strainer, likewise with others i've serviced.

I know of a 8P with 21k were the pump failed which is well within the service regime.

Imho I believe on the 8P their was a manufacturing issue not a service one as i've not heard of a PFL/FL failing.

Dell.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Dell

My PFL pump failed. Gauze full of debris at 20K.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Thanks for that T800, have you tried it or read anything about anyone who has?

Been running my facelift on those tweaks for yonks.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Dell

Thanks for the info Neil 👍

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Been running my facelift on those tweaks for yonks.

Any info to share on improvements and is it worth doing? Any negatives?

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Dell

I’m definitely glad I’m getting it serviced and Regal said they always clean the gauze.

I had my DSG oil and filter done at 12k (2 years) and it will be done again when they fit the Wavetrack and billet filter housing. Now I’m going to be running a lot more power I will probably do the both myself yearly as it can only be a good thing.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Dell

Neil.

When we carried out a Haldex service on Dan's 8v we pulled out the pump & found it clean as a whistle,his had over 30k on it.

Tbh the debris can only be coming from the clutch pack mate.

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Neil.

When we carried out a Haldex service on Dan's 8v we pulled out the pump & found it clean as a whistle,his had over 30k on it.

Tbh the debris can only be coming from the clutch pack mate.

Dell.

Good to know a possible cause for the debris but I guess still shows you can’t tell if the gauze is getting blocked unless you check it during servicing.

flybynite

flybynite

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

I have had and worked on quite a few Haldex cars, couple of things.

The Haldex Gen 5 on the 8V is a different kettle of fish to the Haldex Gen 4 on the 8P (not as much as the change from Gen 3 to Gen 4). The 5 has no filter, only the gauze on the pump.

The Gen 4 suffered with 'debris' and clogged filters (despite most manufacturers other than Volvo saying they did not need servicing)

The only thing I have seen on a Gen 5 is a gel-like substance forming over the pump gauzes. When cleaned and fresh oil put in I have not seen it return on subsequent checks. It lends credence to the theory that it was a reaction between the early oil and something in the system.

Personally I use oil in the Borg Warner bottle as it is cheaper than the bottles with Audi/Vw etc on them.

As for the setting in VCDS I remember reading on the Ross-Tech forum it did not do what you would think it does. It was many moons ago and I can't find the post or remember the detail. Never made much of a difference on anything I tried it on.

Not as much difference as telling a Skoda it was an Audi  :D that worked quite well

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.