18 replies to this topic

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Hi

Just looking for some advise on where to start with this problem.
I fitted Reyland discs all round less than a thousand miles ago floating front / fixed rears with red stuff pads
Fitted them as had some wheel wobble on braking and old discs had done 50 k.
The wobble is still there but now under heavy braking the car really shakes the steering wheel.
My local garage who I know well said the suspension had no play so really confused.
Any suggestions would be appreciated on where to start trying to solve this.

Cheers

Darron

Edited by Darron, 21 November 2020 - 06:05 PM.

Dhali7376

Dhali7376

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I would be looking at the wheel hubs. If theyve got any corrosion on them . They should be spotlessly clean before mounting the discs and then at the wheels for deformation etc

Edited by Dhali7376, 21 November 2020 - 07:40 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Hi

Just looking for some advise on where to start with this problem.
I fitted Reyland discs all round less than a thousand miles ago floating front / fixed rears with red stuff pads
Fitted them as had some wheel wobble on braking and old discs had done 50 k.
The wobble is still there but now under heavy braking the car really shakes the steering wheel.
My local garage who I know well said the suspension had no play so really confused.
Any suggestions would be appreciated on where to start trying to solve this.

Cheers

Darron

I had this when I fitted Redstuff to my standard 8P discs many moons ago.

After a few days I’d get terrible vibration through the wheel.
Cleaning the discs etc with the jet wash and it stopped but only for a few days.

Do yourself a favour and get shut of all the crappy Redstuff pads for something better like a Ferodo pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

What he said  :)  :)

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Darron.

If you were running Redstuff on your old discs more than likely that is the root of your problems.

As it been said before just change make of pads....Ferodo premiers are a good road pad & can be picked up off eBay for roundabout £45,give them a try & see if they cure the wobble.

Btw if you do change pads give the discs a good clean to remove all of the old pad material.

Dell.

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire

I would be looking at the wheel hubs. If theyve got any corrosion on them . They should be spotlessly clean before mounting the discs and then at the wheels for deformation etc

I cleaned the hubs they were spotless when mounted the discs on. After what’s been said I think I will try new pads first cheers

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire

I had this when I fitted Redstuff to my standard 8P discs many moons ago.
After a few days I’d get terrible vibration through the wheel.
Cleaning the discs etc with the jet wash and it stopped but only for a few days.
Do yourself a favour and get shut of all the crappy Redstuff pads for something better like a Ferodo pad.

Pad change it is then cheers

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Darron.
If you were running Redstuff on your old discs more than likely that is the root of your problems.
As it been said before just change make of pads....Ferodo premiers are a good road pad & can be picked up off eBay for roundabout £45,give them a try & see if they cure the wobble.
Btw if you do change pads give the discs a good clean to remove all of the old pad material.
Dell.

I will put some new pads in and see if that solves my problem cheers

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I had a similar situation a while back. Got the discs skimmed with new pads and it was night and day with no wobble/inconsistent grabbing afterwards - even to this day a couple of years on

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I had a similar situation a while back. Got the discs skimmed with new pads and it was night and day with no wobble/inconsistent grabbing afterwards - even to this day a couple of years on

Chris.

There new discs fitted with less than 1k so skimming shouldn't be required & I can vouch for Reylands robustness as I've done numerous trackdays running DS2500s.

Imho the problem lays with running EBC reds not the discs.

Dell.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Chris.

There new discs fitted with less than 1k so skimming shouldn't be required & I can vouch for Reylands robustness as I've done numerous trackdays running DS2500s.

Dell.

Fair enough ...

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Chris.

Dell.

RedStuff.....FFS they should be banned.

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Just an update on the wobble vibration sorry for the delay.

The wobble vibration has been improved by changing the pads it is still there slightly but nowhere near as bad.

I found that the pads I removed were in a bad state and crumbled slightly causing a groove on passenger disc.

I have contacted EBC regarding this and they have had the pads back for testing.

So awaiting the outcome.

If after a few hundred miles car has a slight vibration still I will probably book it into awesome gti as the last 2 garages that I usually deal with have both said no play in any suspension joints.

The disc with the groove is cleaning up so hopefully won’t need to be refaced as spoke to Reyland

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Just an update on the wobble vibration sorry for the delay.
The wobble vibration has been improved by changing the pads it is still there slightly but nowhere near as bad.
I found that the pads I removed were in a bad state and crumbled slightly causing a groove on passenger disc.
I have contacted EBC regarding this and they have had the pads back for testing.
So awaiting the outcome.
If after a few hundred miles car has a slight vibration still I will probably book it into awesome gti as the last 2 garages that I usually deal with have both said no play in any suspension joints.
The disc with the groove is cleaning up so hopefully won’t need to be refaced as spoke to Reyland

Darron.

Here's a set off Reds I fitted some years back 😂 Not that suitable for our RSs tbh.

Attached File  20170920_195645.jpg   48.56K   10 downloads

Dell.

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Darron.
Here's a set off Reds I fitted some years back Not that suitable for our RSs tbh.
attachicon.gif20170920_195645.jpg
Dell.

Jesus not good.

Hopefully the wobble will eventually go after the pads have had a few miles on them. If not then I will have to take it into somewhere but I have awesome not to far from me so will get them to look over it.
I need someone to look over the car anyway as I want to know what has been done in the past as when I bought the car it was meant to be standard apart from a cat back and it’s far from that.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Jesus not good.
Hopefully the wobble will eventually go after the pads have had a few miles on them. If not then I will have to take it into somewhere but I have awesome not to far from me so will get them to look over it.
I need someone to look over the car anyway as I want to know what has been done in the past as when I bought the car it was meant to be standard apart from a cat back and it’s far from that.

Darron.

Just bide your time in regards the brake pads/wobble.....mine were shocking after a track days but disappeared after some miles/time.

Tbh I found the Reylands to be very good even after a good work out on 2 track day braking from 150s at the end of a 1km straight for a 70mph chicane with DS2500s fitted.

Tbh I think the Reds didn't suit the Reylands which can happen with any disc/pad combo.

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Darron.

Just bide your time in regards the brake pads/wobble.....mine were shocking after a track days but disappeared after some miles/time.

Tbh I found the Reylands to be very good even after a good work out on 2 track day braking from 150s at the end of a 1km straight for a 70mph chicane with DS2500s fitted.

Tbh I think the Reds didn't suit the Reylands which can happen with any disc/pad combo.

Dell.

lol the reds don’t suit any disc dell
Oh wait no sorry they do suit something round........ the dust bin

Darron

Darron

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Just to give you guys an update after returning the pads EBC said the pads were fine and thought the damage was caused by stones or grit.
Told them I dismantled the brakes and it was the pad material that caused the disc mark. They have refunded me for all pads and after further discussion they have agreed to pay for replacement discs also. Happy with the outcome

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Just to give you guys an update after returning the pads EBC said the pads were fine and thought the damage was caused by stones or grit.
Told them I dismantled the brakes and it was the pad material that caused the disc mark. They have refunded me for all pads and after further discussion they have agreed to pay for replacement discs also. Happy with the outcome

Darron.

Great outcome 👍 I remember having a conversation with Martin @ Reylands he didn't speak highly of EBC pads & normally recommends Ferodo pads mate.

Another member on here also had problems with Reds on his Alcon discs.

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.