Photo

What are the best performance upgrades without changing the turbo?

3 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I know this is very subjective, but I would like to know owners views on the best mods without going big turbo?

The obvious list I have read so far is:

1. Turbo elbow

2. Intake or hard pipe from OEM airbox

3. Intercooler

4. Downpipe with no cat or sports cat

Possible mods which I am not sure will make a difference on a standard turbo:

1. Uprated coils like the APR ones

2. Different spark plus

3. Turbo throttle body

4. HPFP

5. Water injection

Any view appreciated.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I know this is very subjective, but I would like to know owners views on the best mods without going big turbo?

1. Turbo elbow
3. Intercooler

2. Different spark plus
3. Turbo throttle body
4. HPFP
5. Water injection

Any view appreciated.

I guess with COVID the modding scene has gone a bit quiet?

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

1. Turbo elbow

3. Intercooler

2. Different spark plus

3. Turbo throttle body

4. HPFP

5. Water injection

Any view appreciated.

Is yours an FL car?

Assuming it is......here's my feedback based on my own experiences with fitting and testing all sorts of tuning parts to my FL car (sadly now sold) but retaining the stock turbo.

The larger turbo elbow and hard intake pipe from Forge are a worthwhile upgrade and are good value for money too, especially compared to the hugely expensive carbon fibre air intakes. Unitronic also do an aluminum larger turbo inlet for right hand drive cars - just make sure you get one with the cut out to miss the brake servo parts on right hand drive cars. Good power increase from these parts.

An uprated intercooler (Forge or Wagner are the most popular) is a key upgrade if going to stage 2 state of tune - you only have to see intake temps skyrocket after just a few pulls on the dyno with the stock IC. The ECU will then pull power to protect the engine.

Down pipes add another decent power return from a good tune by simply allowing the engine to breathe better. Down side is some possible cabin resonating at motorway speeds and the exhaust fumes and fuel smell if you go full decat. Lots of nice 5cylinder noise but some find certain brands of downpipe too noisy. I swapped from  Milltek full decat DP to a Scorpion DP with optional removal sports cat because I liked the deeper sonorous noise of the Scorpion better. If I had the Milltek again I would go for the sports cat version...because I am a boring old fart!

Uprated coils and spark plugs are not necessary at stage 2 level of tune, the stock parts are capable of handling power up to 600bhp. Save your cash.

Not had any experience with an uprated throttle body but I would suggest that these parts are more beneficial for cars with a higher state of tune such as turbo upgrades.

HPFP - same answer as per coils and plugs above. They are ok on the FL cars for stage 2 power levels on stock turbo using pump fuel. E85 usually requires an upgrade due to the extra fuel supply required. HPFP upgrades on PFL cars are dependent upon if data logging shows whether your car may need one or not (depends a lot on the tuner) and help with fueling torque demand at lower engine revs.

Water injection is becoming more popular. I know Ben at TTU has been successfully using it on his recent turbo upgrades and also with his development turbo currently being tested. It makes a good difference to intake temps and ensures that power remains consistent even after some hard WOT runs. 

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Great reply, thanks very much snd yes I have an FL.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.