• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
Hi people, whilst driving home last night I started to get a heavy miss fire, it felt like a coil pack had failed, no CEL at first and I only had 4 miles of my journey to do so I carried on.
I got to within a mile of my house and sat at the traffic lights and the idle was very rough, the engine management light was flashing and the EPC light was solid, so I drove it home, pulled up switched the engine off and scanned it with my Carista obd scanner to which it showed the below faults on cylinder 1.

Now ignore the low fuel code as the fuel light came on just before I reached my house. These codes pointed me in the direction of the coil pack failing as I replaced the spark plugs less than 2000 miles ago and the coil packs have about 20000+ miles on them.........in the back of my head was the thought of it could be the injector failed as my car is on 61k.

So this morning I took out the coil pack on the first cylinder (which I believe to be the first from the left....) on inspection this coil pack did look abit brown on the end and did smell like it had burnt out electrically so I swapped it with an old coil pack which I assume is still good.

I cleared the fault codes and started it up to listen to the idle and it still sounded very rough, almost like a Subaru boxer engine, so I immediately turned it off and scanned it again to which I got the misfire code again.

I don’t want to keep turning it on and off in hope of trying different things like a different spark plug or coil pack from another cylinder in fear that I do further damage to it.

Could anyone shed any light on this, would this be injector? It says cylinder 1 shut down last night so could this now be full of fuel? Will there be permanent damage to the engine now or was it not left on for long enough?
Also how much are replacement injectors?

Thanks

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
Attached File  6A0AED5C-CB18-45BE-89D6-83C93BE47728.jpeg   60.42K   14 downloads

Attached Files

Cavebob

Cavebob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Could be a spark plug causing the issue maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Do the normal checks first before jumping to conclusions as that’s all a garage would do anyway.
Plugs swap with another cylinder - test
Coils swap with another cylinder - test
Compression check when the plugs and coils have been tested.

You can log your misfire count on vcds to see what is going on too.

If your running the original fuel injectors it’s no doubt the cause as I went through all this with the car running rough etc. It actually stalled on me. New injectors and all is dandy.

Edited by JayRS3, 20 September 2020 - 01:42 PM.

RS3_AL

RS3_AL

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationStirling/Scotland
As jay said basics first mate, if u find a faulty injector r-tech performance can test/overhaul them

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
Ive spoken to my friend who is a mechanic, he said that when I changed the coil pack over yesterday morning I wouldn’t of allowed it enough time to sort itself out as I literally started it, heard it running like a bag of poo and then switch it off 5 seconds later.

He suggests that I should let it run for at least 30 seconds to allow any unburnt fuel to burn off and hope that the idle sorts it self out.

I’ll try this later, along with the other suggestions and see what happens. If all else fails he has a car transporter to get it to his garage luckily.

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
If it's still on the original injectors get them changed out.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.