• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

RS3Rob

RS3Rob

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Afternoon!

Yesterday I had a go at changing the stock bulbs on the 8P for some Philips x-treme vision gen 2's from the inner arch as this seems the most popular way rather then opening up the bonnet and gaining access there where there's even less space.

From what I tried yesterday, there is absolutely no chance of changing the bulbs from the inner arch either due to the lack of space and the fact that the bulb isn't even in the center of the hole within the headlight so my fingers cant access the bulb all the way around. All I managed to do was remove the connector from the bulb and even that was a pig to get back in.

Has anyone else tried changing them or have any hints? I know Jay has so I'm hoping he'll post his tricks on doing this.

As a last resort i'll be taking the front bumper off and then removing the headlight units and change them that way as there is limited information on this on the forums/google regarding bulb changes on the RS3. I even had a look at the A3 8P to see how they change the bulbs but it looks completely different, different arch liner and just more access in general.

Bulbs should be a serviceable part and should not require this much hassle in order to change them, they don't last forever.

Cheers!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Afternoon!

Yesterday I had a go at changing the stock bulbs on the 8P for some Philips x-treme vision gen 2's from the inner arch as this seems the most popular way rather then opening up the bonnet and gaining access there where there's even less space.

From what I tried yesterday, there is absolutely no chance of changing the bulbs from the inner arch either due to the lack of space and the fact that the bulb isn't even in the center of the hole within the headlight so my fingers cant access the bulb all the way around. All I managed to do was remove the connector from the bulb and even that was a pig to get back in.

Has anyone else tried changing them or have any hints? I know Jay has so I'm hoping he'll post his tricks on doing this.

As a last resort i'll be taking the front bumper off and then removing the headlight units and change them that way as there is limited information on this on the forums/google regarding bulb changes on the RS3. I even had a look at the A3 8P to see how they change the bulbs but it looks completely different, different arch liner and just more access in general.

Bulbs should be a serviceable part and should not require this much hassle in order to change them, they don't last forever.

Cheers!

Front bumper off is the easiest way. Sometimes short cuts are not always short cuts and can actually take longer than the longest route.

If you’ve had the bumper off before it’s actually easier tbh and makes everything accessible.

Really pleased with the gen2s

RS3Rob

RS3Rob

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Jay,

I agree, especially after trying it first hand, it really isn't worth the other ways or trying to change the bulb, just get the front end off and job done.

I've had the front bumper off before as I fitted the Hperformance cold air feed so its not too much of a big job. Are the headlights easy to remove? how many bolts are there and where?

Yeah after looking at the reviews online and from what you said, the gen2's seem to outperform the other competitors. Did you ever get round to fitting the booster for them that you mentioned in a previous post to make them brighter?

Was the difference a 'wow' or more of a 'oh those are slightly brighter' ?  :D

Cheers mate!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Jay,

I agree, especially after trying it first hand, it really isn't worth the other ways or trying to change the bulb, just get the front end off and job done.

I've had the front bumper off before as I fitted the Hperformance cold air feed so its not too much of a big job. Are the headlights easy to remove? how many bolts are there and where?

Yeah after looking at the reviews online and from what you said, the gen2's seem to outperform the other competitors. Did you ever get round to fitting the booster for them that you mentioned in a previous post to make them brighter?

Was the difference a 'wow' or more of a 'oh those are slightly brighter' ? :D

Cheers mate!

No I didn’t fit the boosters as there was for & against reasons for fitting them. I wanted to see if the lamps alone produced a benefit on their own, which it does. It’s a subtle difference but I think for the cost of them it’s a worthwhile change. I would recommend them over stock to anyone. Visually the road seems a lot clearer and brighter.

Headlight assembles are easy to remove but just a word of warning try and mask your panels gaps with the fitting because when you refit the bumper it could catch you out and may foul. From memory I believe there was 2 bolts (possibly 3). It’s all visible and self explanatory though.

Edited by JayRS3, 16 August 2020 - 02:05 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.