Photo

Exhaust valve sticking

15 replies to this topic

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Anyone had any problems with exhaust valves sticking? Just changed to secondary decats and I have realised my driver side exhaust valve isn't working as it should. It seems the motor on it is working but its not changing the valve. Anyone had this before or know any solutions?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Might be worth dropping the back box and removing the valve actuator. Then try spraying the top and bottom of the valve pivot shaft with WD-40 or similar and working the valve free with long nose pliers gripping the pivot shaft.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Thank you! I'll give that a go this weekend so long as the weather is okay!

Is there anything major to watch out for?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Not really, it’s an easy job to drop the back box in situ. I’ve done it on my drive three or four times now. Just need to jack up the read end and use axle stands. Then undo the three hangers from the chassis, two at either side of the back box and one just as it straightens out to run to the front of the car (12 or 13mm bolts) then pop the rubber from the exhaust hanger on the fourth where the exhaust bends near the rear diff. There is a small, sort of R clip that sits between the actuator and valve shaft. Just keep an eye on it when you take off the valve actuator.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Awesome! Thank you for that! I'll give that a go and see how that goes! If not I guess it'll be a case of new backbox but I'd rather not drop that sort of cash right now!

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
It will be rust or debris in the pivot points. Could maybe carbon build up inside. Either way I’m pretty sure it will free up easily.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
The driver side is not as loud as the passenger side by the way. It could be a case that it is actually working to be honest.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Oh really? Any ideas why it isn't as loud?

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
It will be a differnt route or how baffled in the box.

The 8p is vacuum operated , rather than the motorised one you have, but I’m convinced that tail takes a different freeer flowing route through the back box than the non flap tail.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Does it matter that I have the sports exhaust system too?

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
From memory one side is shut at idle then both open at 4k revs or whatever. You'll notice it in Winter as "fumes" only from one side at idle.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
This is the reason. The left is essentially straight piped where as the right is resonated as such by the gap between the pipe sections.

Attached Images

• 2F4D6ACF-B350-491A-993D-CE88F2F75AD5.jpeg

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Thanks guys! I'll drop it down this weekend and see how it goes getting the exhaust valve out and cleaning it out

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
They can tend to stick as mine have once. Just spray them up with WD40 and it should sort it out.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Awesome, ill give that a go. Had the car up today but i haven't got enough height to get the whole backbox out to look at so ill give it a spray tonight and again in the morning before I go for a run out

Gazzafaegreenock

Gazzafaegreenock

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

They can tend to stick as mine have once. Just spray them up with WD40 and it should sort it out.

Spray them up how? Up the tailpipe? Or on the top of the motor?

Edited by Gazzafaegreenock, 26 July 2020 - 08:54 PM.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.