Photo

PFL secondary decat

24 replies to this topic

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
So we're getting into the lands of real procrastination and boredom now! Hope everyone is doing okay and keeping safe.

Thought I'd see what everyone's opinion is between scorpion, Audi and milltek midpipes for PFL cars.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Tbh there all much of much just find the cheapest you can get as there only 2 pieces of pipe with a flange welded on them.

Or get your hands dirty & knock the cat's out as they don't make the slightest different at mot time & save yourself some money.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 19 May 2020 - 02:51 PM.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Yeah, seems a slight difference but scorpion is 2 3/4" Milltek is 3" but scorpion doesn't have mot for road use. All a similar price too at around £200.

Think the milltek is a slightly deeper sound and slightly louder. I've got to wear a professional hat sometimes though so can't go full ASBO which rules DIY out lol

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

AJB-RS3.

Haven't the PFL got 2x 2nd cat pipes between the downpipe & back box ?

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Yeah, seems a slight difference but scorpion is 2 3/4" Milltek is 3" but scorpion doesn't have mot for road use. All a similar price too at around £200.

Think the milltek is a slightly deeper sound and slightly louder. I've got to wear a professional hat sometimes though so can't go full ASBO which rules DIY out lol

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

All will be pretty much the same so I would go with Dell's suggestion of gutting the cats in place and spending the £200 saved on Swarfega and beer.

To be honest, I would skip the Swarfega and go larger on the beer package or possibly toss a bottle of Glenfidditch into the mix.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I did manage to buy a botttle of Glenfidditch at Costco last time I went for £22.  On the shelves at Tesco for £35.  Should have filled my boots.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
The Yamazaki distillers reserve is a nice one to try actually if you're a regular to costco!

In reality how loud is it to decat the standard mid pipes?

Edited by AJB-RS3, 19 May 2020 - 09:37 PM.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

AJB-RS3.

Haven't the PFL got 2x 2nd cat pipes between the downpipe & back box ?

Dell.

Yeah they do Dell

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Yeah they do Dell

In that case it doesn't matter what size the decat pipes are as they will be sleeve down if bigger to connect to the oem back section.

Dell.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Any advice for doing this then guys? What a the best way to get the mod pipes off and knock the cat out?

Aaron

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Any advice for doing this then guys? What a the best way to get the mod pipes off and knock the cat out?
Aaron

Aaron.

Loosen the 2 clamps at the back on both secondary cats,undo the 6 flange stud nuts on the down pipe then drop the cat's down,but a word of warning the flange studs have a habit of breaking off so give then a very good lub before hand.

Now this is the fun part NOT ! with a very long drill or power chisel break up the cat material inside the pipes from the flange end.

I did mine with the help of a friend by hand which took some doing as the cat just compacts onto itself but it was worth it as the exhaust system still looks oem.

The simple way is to just buy the decat pipes & fit them.

Dell.

Ashy

Ashy

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

You can buy replacement cat delete pipes for the pfl from Audi, cant remember the part numbers off hand but they were only around £55 each.

I think they are from the tt or the fl RS3, there is a thread on here somewhere with the part numbers.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Cheers guys

Aaron

Keithm

Keithm

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi

I got a pair from toyo sports about £100, had them for a year there passed the mot again this year with them on, not at the Audi dealership, checked them for cracks or leakage, still ok, no corrosion and it came with all the hardware such as bolts and flange kit

Cheers

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Awesome! Cheers Keith!

I've been thinking about getting the existing mid pipes this weekend but it's not sitting well with me so I'm just going to order some of the scorpion or Audi ones as they're not market not for road used.

Aaron

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Awesome! Cheers Keith!
I've been thinking about getting the existing mid pipes this weekend but it's not sitting well with me so I'm just going to order some of the scorpion or Audi ones as they're not market not for road used.
Aaron

Aaron.

If I remember correctly the scorpion decats have "Not For Road Use" on a little metal plaque with a spot weld at each corner 😁

Dell.

AJB-RS3

AJB-RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
Ah okay, maybe Audi ones it is then

Aaron

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Aaron.
If I remember correctly the scorpion decats have "Not For Road Use" on a little metal plaque with a spot weld at each corner
Dell.

Aaron.

Just grind off the retaining welds as others have.....sorted !

Dell.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Ah okay, maybe Audi ones it is then

Aaron

Aaron

I have a pair of Scorpion secondary decat pipes for sale. They are only 3 weeks old.I have ordered the sports cats from Scorpion to replace them.

The trouble is if you have both secondary and gutted downpipe when stopped in traffic with the wind in the wrong direction you get choked with the exhaust fumes. They`ll be available as soon as Scorpion get mine built, probably mid June . 50% off new price. PM me if interested. 

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Br1ckt0p

Br1ckt0p

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDown On My Pig Farm
Hi all ,after reading all the posts on this ,question for those who have em fitted or had the de-cat pipes on !!!!!!!
Is it a must or not much difference in sound if you already have the pre-facelift sports exhaust like I do 😀

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.