• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Evening everyone,

I've just bought myself a machine polisher. I havent bought a super duper brand if I'm honest, but the it seemed good value and its arrived today and actually looks really good quality. It's a Ferrex and is sold with a 3 years warranty.

Im not new to machine polishing, I worked in a body shop for a few years when i left school in 2002. Back then i used big thick polishing pads with G3 that allowed for a fair bit of error. The new buffer has arrived with a wool pad with only a small amount of padding and a foam pad with a fair bit of padding. What is the sequence of them? Wool 1st and foam after or vice versa. I have been looking at other pads and they dont appear a lot different to what I have. But I'm open to suggested products etc.

Thanks in advance

Attached File  20200415_191912.jpg   90.32K   20 downloads

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

It is a fairly low speed machine I think - 3000 rpm max?

Even with the low speed I would avoid the wool pad unless you are after a major correction.  I would (and have) the hexlogic pads and Meguires Pro 105 Ultra Cut with a medium or heavy polishing pad - if you need a lot of correction then you need to look at the cutting pads. Finishing with Megs 205 with the appropriate pads.

If you are anywhere near Huntingdon I have a lifetime supply of the 105 and you are welcome to some - I was sent a gallon by mistake.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

This lot should sort you out - 

https://www.cleanyou...ra-cut-compound

https://www.cleanyou...inishing-polish

https://www.cleanyou...cutting-pad-6-5

https://www.cleanyou...lishing-pad-6-5

https://www.cleanyou...nishing-pad-6-5

Edited by Evil Diesel, 15 April 2020 - 07:26 PM.

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Excellent! Thankyou. Would I need all the pads? Or just one?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

You need a range of pads.  You also need to then think about the pad / polish mix. Heavy correction - cutting pad and aggressive polish, minor correction polishing pad with cutting polish - in either scenario finishing pad with fine polish.

Edited by Evil Diesel, 16 April 2020 - 07:58 AM.

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I've spoken to the company you've linked who have suggested Menzerna because Meguiars is out of stock. Do you have any opinions or experiences of this brand?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Menzerna is decent stuff too. Go over to detailing world - there are some useful guides to machine polishing over there.  Here is one for example -https://www.detailin...ead.php?t=63859

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks Evil.I called over to CYC on my lunch break from work. It was only 20 minutes away. I went with Menzerna purely because it was in stock. I was recommended an Orange and White pad and the 400 and 3500 products. I've had a read of that link too. Who knew it was such a complex process. Thank you for all your help 🙃

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

No worries mate - take it slow and look forward to the results!

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Omg! Mezerna 400 and 3500 is unreal 😍 Just done my 1st panel with the 3500. It looks brand new 😱

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Come on, get those photos posted!  :D

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I did the GTD a couple of weeks back.
Sonax products.
add6e04dc5fcbf8bf924172a43c39421.jpg

b9e626063450034e698deeef12f8412e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm done for today. I've been at it since 11am. Excuse the all black wheels. I refurbished them last weekend and just waiting on the lacquer to cure before I re add the silver outers. I've tried to get angles that show the best shine but the pictures dont do it justice. I'm massively impressed with Menzerna. I've just done a stage 3 with carnuba wax by Meguiars.

Attached Files

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Looking good mate  :)

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
This one is my favourite 😍

Attached Files

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Great work! 

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The everything was going so well with the polishing of the alloys... 3rd pic is a killer. Wasnt concentrating and grabbed the 400 rather than 3500 Mezerna 😡

Attached Files

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Oh dear

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

It is just going to be a bit of work with the fine polish - I wouldn't worry about it.  Its not like we have anything else to do.

Spent nearly 2 hours working on the exhaust tips yesterday (surprising amount of tar on top of them) - like I said - nothing else to do...

Jamesybaz

Jamesybaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Think you've missed it Evil. The 2 white spots on the 3rd pic is the primer 🙈 I went through the lacquer and paint. I'm just repainting now. I have Evil, I have 2 days rest before I'm back in work. I'm front line staff, you see. I teach nurses 'medical stuff'. This was supposed to be relaxing, its driving me mad 🤣

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.