• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

So finally got to AKS Tuning for the sway bar to be fitted - I have to say the difference is night and day.  Really giving it some stick around the roundabouts and it grips and points all day long.

What a fantastic mod for a bit over £200 - it is a game changer for anyone interested in handling rather than just straight line speed.

Can't wait to really test it out on the track in a month's time!

I have a stock RS3 ARB sat in my boot if anyone has any ideas what to do with it btw?

Dhali7376

Dhali7376

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Good to know . How difficult is this to fit ? Can it be done DIY?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

It can be - a bit of a pain in the arse getting it over the exhaust it seemed - they dropped it in the end.  Took AKS 45 mins to do it on the ramps - not so easy off jacks I imagine.  They only charged £45 for the fitting and £175 for the bar.  Other garages had quoted me the best part of £400!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Good to know . How difficult is this to fit ? Can it be done DIY?

If the back end is like the PFL 8v it can be done on the floor with axle stands as thats how we fitted Dans sometime back.
It is more awkward than the few I've fitted on the 8Ps.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 22 October 2019 - 10:51 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Easy on yer back with the rear in the air

Exhaust hangers need unbolting to allow the system to drop a few inches so you can wiggle the old one out.

Top tip: spray the end links with Rost off or something similar to aid the nut removal and smear them with grease after re-assembly.

Attached Files

Edited by T-800, 23 October 2019 - 05:10 AM.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Interesting as isn't the FL supposed to be sharper out the box so in theory rear ARB not required?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Interesting as isn't the FL supposed to be sharper out the box so in theory rear ARB not required?
TX.

The oem rear arb is still too soft & biased to understeer where the aftermarket one's move more towards the over steer end of the spectrum.

Dell.

Dhali7376

Dhali7376

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the info chaps .

jimojameso

jimojameso

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Glad you like it. :) I don't think people understand how much an improvement this makes until they experience it for themselves. One of the best mods.

I did mine on my driveway without dropping the exhaust. Bit fiddly but can be done. 

2015 Nardo RS3

2010 Sepang TT RS Sold!

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

TX.

Clearly that is not the case - it made a massive difference on mine.  I was really caning the roundabouts yesterday and the improvement in grip was eye opening.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Clearly that is not the case - it made a massive difference on mine.  I was really caning the roundabouts yesterday and the improvement in grip was eye opening.

Wait till you drive it in the wet 🤔

The grip is Awsome 😆

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Looking forward to it Dell - I have to say I am amazed at the difference it has made. Some of the speeds turning right at roundabouts yesterday were unreal - haven't even found the edge yet (although I suspect I was close on a small one at 50+).

It makes you wonder what Audi were thinking when they fitted their sway bar - clearly not up to scratch and now, in my case, scrap metal.  It makes no difference to the ride quality and the handling is a magnitude higher.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Looking forward to it Dell - I have to say I am amazed at the difference it has made. Some of the speeds turning right at roundabouts yesterday were unreal - haven't even found the edge yet (although I suspect I was close on a small one at 50+).

It makes you wonder what Audi were thinking when they fitted their sway bar - clearly not up to scratch and now, in my case, scrap metal.  It makes no difference to the ride quality and the handling is a magnitude higher.

Understeer is preferable/safer to oversteer.

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
After reading this and having fitted the 034 motorsport one to my 8p, I’ve bought the H&R one for my PFL. See how good it is.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

It makes you wonder what Audi were thinking when they fitted their sway bar - clearly not up to scratch and now, in my case, scrap metal. It makes no difference to the ride quality and the handling is a magnitude higher.

As Dell says, they have to strike a compromise on these things.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Wait till you drive it in the wet

The grip is Awsome

Dell.

Not sure mate tbf - had to go on a bit of a trip today and booted it off a roundabout entry to undercut an 05 Focus St and it all got a bit sideways (not as much as his to be fair).  It obviously looked pretty good as he was first giving one pumped thumbs up in the windscreen followed by 2 pumped thumbs ups which was fairly worrying.

Did a few more hard roundabouts and definitely felt more back end movement than before albeit controllable. I guess this is the oversteer you were talking about? Not to the extent of getting into opposite lock mind.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Not sure mate tbf - had to go on a bit of a trip today and booted it off a roundabout entry to undercut an 05 Focus St and it all got a bit sideways (not as much as his to be fair). It obviously looked pretty good as he was first giving one pumped thumbs up in the windscreen followed by 2 pumped thumbs ups which was fairly worrying.

Did a few more hard roundabouts and definitely felt more back end movement than before albeit controllable. I guess this is the oversteer you were talking about? Not to the extent of getting into opposite lock mind.

I was going to ask about this about the H&R to be honest, these will be designed to be paired and work with the front H&R installed. Are these rears we buy just a pair that’s been split? The 034 is designed from the get go to work with the OEM front ARB.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I was going to ask about this about the H&R to be honest, these will be designed to be paired and work with the front H&R installed. Are these rears we buy just a pair that’s been split? The 034 is designed from the get go to work with the OEM front ARB.

Mark.

Fitting a front will neutralise the benefits of fitting a rear one....back to square 1.

If you have any doubts on this check out 034 website where they advised against it for this reason.

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Well I got mine fitted in under an hour using my drive on ramps. The key to getting it off easily was to remove the securing brackets from the ARB/rubbers, that way the ARB slides out past the exhaust and mounting points on the chassis. Bit more of a squeeze getting the H&R one on right enough!

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Just went for a drive and it has definitely transformed the handling anyway.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.