- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ryans24

Ryans24

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello guys got a mk1 RS3 2011 and just started to notice that the sport mode button seems to be lit very faintly all the time some times it gets a little brighter just by itself. The sport mode is working fine when pressed and it goes bright when pressed also . Just wondering if any one had ever seen this.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Looks like the button is on the way out mate.  If you can't live with it, it is not an expensive part to swap out.

Ryans24

Ryans24

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm just scared incase it's the wiring going to it to be honest

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

It's not likely to be the wiring - the switch almost for sure.  You can probably live with it anyway if it is just the light.

Ryans24

Ryans24

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah I mostly have it always switched on anyway haha

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
The sport button latching tell tail light is driven from the ecu output directly.

Sport Button pressed -> ecu gets input -> ecu does its thing -> ecu sends led suitable voltage back to illuminate led tell tale light.

The latching (staying on) bit of the circuit is done in the ecu, hence it also controls the led status.

The switch is self is just a momentary touch switch, the ecu is then able to cut its throat/ power down the circuit when the ignition is turned off , and return the sport button to its normal off state.

Edited by Paul, 30 September 2019 - 08:58 PM.

Ryans24

Ryans24

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So is that a faulty ECU then ?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

No.  If eveyting is the same when you hit the button then it is the light in the switch ffs. How did we get into the territory of replacing the ECU? Come on guys!

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSurrey

I had exactly the same issue with my previous 8(p) RS 3

Was sorted out under Audi extended warranty, they reported that it was due to water ingress in a connector - connector replaced.
However, they didn't state where the connector was located - sorry!

Edited by RobRS, 01 October 2019 - 08:11 AM.

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

Ryans24

Ryans24

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm assuming the connector must be out of the car rather than the interior due to me not having any other issues like damp carpets or that was the connector something to do with the sport mode system do you know ?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I'm assuming the connector must be out of the car rather than the interior due to me not having any other issues like damp carpets or that was the connector something to do with the sport mode system do you know ?

Probably the connector on the ecu which is housed on the scattle panal passenger side.

Your need to take the windscreen wiper arms off to remove the plastic cover to gain access tho.

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.