- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Shelton86

Shelton86

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I know this has been covered a few times, but it seems I’m having the opposite problem to everyone else most posts are saying the flaps won’t open, but mine never close I’ve worked the valve at the rear up and down and moves very freely and flaps move fine but it won’t close when I’m driving or sat still (with sport on or off)
When I press “s” it does make a click (clunk sound) but no difference (I do have a slight exhaust leak near front 2nd decat joint would that affect it ?)
Any insight would be great

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I know this has been covered a few times, but it seems I’m having the opposite problem to everyone else most posts are saying the flaps won’t open, but mine never close I’ve worked the valve at the rear up and down and moves very freely and flaps move fine but it won’t close when I’m driving or sat still (with sport on or off)
When I press “s” it does make a click (clunk sound) but no difference (I do have a slight exhaust leak near front 2nd decat joint would that affect it ?)
Any insight would be great

May sound silly but have you actually physically check the flaps are cycling open/closed & not basing it on sound ?

Also have you checked it closes after switching the car off ?

The leaking 2nd cat won't have an effect on the exhaust flaps.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 15 September 2019 - 03:47 PM.

Shelton86

Shelton86

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
So engine off flaps are open and if I push the rod while all switched off it closes but soon as I let go it opens again

Yes I’ve had torch looking down exhaust while cycling the button etc and always stays open

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

So engine off flaps are open and if I push the rod while all switched off it closes but soon as I let go it opens again
Yes I’ve had torch looking down exhaust while cycling the button etc and always stays open

Check to see if there's vacuum at the flap unit as that is supplied from a valve unit in the engine bay.

Dell.

Shelton86

Shelton86

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Gonna seem like an idiot now but how do I check that ? Just pull the black hose off while running and see if it’s vacuumed ?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Gonna seem like an idiot now but how do I check that ? Just pull the black hose off while running and see if it’s vacuumed ?

Yep just pull the pipe off to check.

Dell.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Also a solenoid Valve just under the bumper in the location of the the flap that could be faulty.

Follow the pipe and your find it clipped to the body. Can do the same vac test on the ongoing pipe ... the out hours to the flap actuator obviously,..

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.