Dumb question (sorry)

16 replies to this topic

J1tvv

J1tvv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi All,

Wheel spacers are they just for looks ? Or are there performance benefits in improved feel / handling ?

Cheers

Jit.
2016 RS3 - Black on black on black

Huwgo R

Huwgo R

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
Hi

A wider stance the car will improve the handling

invisiblekid

invisiblekid

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Spacers lower the centre of gravity, which can mean improvements round bends, but spacers won't necessarily improve handling. Some can cause increase vibration at speed too, although I believe hub centric spacers don't suffer from that. I've never fitted, so can't confirm. 

Much depends on other mods, offset etc

Most people fit them for 'stance' or to clear aftermarket BBK.

Edited by invisiblekid, 01 September 2019 - 04:43 PM.

RS3 8V FL - bone stock...for now.

RS3 8V - eTuners Stage 3 480hp.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
How can spacers lower the c of g ? Unless your talking about the ultra minute reduction in the spring rate the wheel
sees with the also ultra minute increase in lever arm length.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

How can spacers lower the c of g ? Unless your talking about the ultra minute reduction in the spring rate the wheel
sees with the also ultra minute increase in lever arm length.

I was just thinking the same Neil.

Have them on mine. All they do is widen the track by 16mm.

Can’t say I’ve noticed much else.

I can imagine they’d help with cornering but only because of the wider track.

Edited by T-800, 01 September 2019 - 04:57 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Is it possible then that the lower centre of gravity comes from pushing the tyre further out
In that the contact area of the tyre is further away from the ‘chassis’ / Damper & spring therefore the vehicle ‘weight’ or mass pulls down further.

Sort of like the Torque lever effect you get when you move further out from a centre point.

Edited by T-800, 01 September 2019 - 07:16 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Is it possible then that the lower centre of gravity comes from pushing the tyre further out
In that the contact area of the tyre is further away from the ‘chassis’ / Damper & spring therefore the vehicle ‘weight’ or mass pulls down further.

Sort of like the Torque lever effect you get when you move further out from a centre point.

Sean
That`s what I said but in a different way. But in all honesty I can`t see the lowering being any more than 0.25mm.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean
That`s what I said but in a different way. But in all honesty I can`t see the lowering being any more than 0.25mm.

Even if I go this far out
83834fd99ae8ee809fe041493b298c81.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
That may be more than 0.25mm lower

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

That may be more than 0.25mm lower

I’m genuinely interested though even if my understanding / explanation resembled the ramblings of an average Joe

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

I’m genuinely interested though even if my understanding / explanation resembled the ramblings of an average Joe

Sean
I can work it out but need some dimensions.
" A " distance from center of inner lower wishbone mount to center of tyre contact.
" B " distance from above pivot point to the intersection point of a line drawn through the strut.
" C " spring rate in lbs/inch.
For total accuracy I need the angle between "A" and the strut.
You can work out the spring rate quite easily.
Measure the difference from center of wheel to wheel arch between ride height and car jacked up so
wheel is off the ground.
This gives wheel rate ,but using " A " and " B " above spring rate can be calculated
Also need weight distribution front to rear.
Simples.

Edited by 0120raptor, 01 September 2019 - 09:03 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean
I can work it out but need some dimensions.
" A " distance from center of inner lower wishbone mount to center of tyre contact.
" B " distance from above pivot point to the intersection point of a line drawn through the strut.
" C " spring rate in lbs/inch.
For total accuracy I need the angle between "A" and the strut.
You can work out the spring rate quite easily.
Measure the difference from center of wheel to wheel arch between ride height and car jacked up so
wheel is off the ground.
Also need weight distribution front to rear.
Simples.

Err I’ll take your word for it

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

SeanI can work it out but need some dimensions." A " distance from center of inner lower wishbone mount to center of tyre contact." B " distance from above pivot point to the intersection point of a line drawn through the strut." C " spring rate in lbs/inch.For total accuracy I need the angle between "A" and the strut.You can work out the spring rate quite easily.Measure the difference from center of wheel to wheel arch between ride height and car jacked up sowheel is off the ground.This gives wheel rate ,but using " A " and " B " above spring rate can be calculatedAlso need weight distribution front to rear.Simples.

Neil.

You called me clever about how to work out what wire was what for your crank sensor mate. 😆

Dell.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Neil.

You called me clever about how to work out what wire was what for your crank sensor mate.

Dell.

Dell
It`s only maths.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

DellIt`s only maths.

Yes its all about the numbers mate 😆

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 01 September 2019 - 11:02 PM.

J1tvv

J1tvv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks guys maybe i’ll Do spacers last once I get some light weight wheels.

Cheers
2016 RS3 - Black on black on black

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

Late to this party, but frankly for most people spacers are used for looks.
Any difference they make to center of gravity is almost moot; what mostly happens is the wider stance helps reduce body roll, which can have positive effects for stability etc.
You are putting a distance between the center of the wheel and the hub however and this does have some effects;

• It can change the scrub radius, which basically means steering will be heavier, you'll get more movement from bumps in the road etc. How much depends on how big a spacer obviously.
  • It increases the stress on suspension parts, but especially your studs and wheel bearings, although whether this has an appreciable effect on lifespan will be down to all sorts of factors.
  • It can effectively reduce your spring rate, as your wheels have extra force against the suspension

Of course, you're likely not running much more than about 10mm or so anyway, so the effects other than looks are likely minimal.

Where possible though, run a hubcentric spacer and make sure it is installed properly.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.