• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
I will apologise now, I have searched if I’ve missed something I’m sorry.

Earlier I noticed some wheel spin in first gear so I stopped a couple of times and done a hard start. Pulls away normally until boost comes in and then I get some wheel spin on the front, even a screech sometimes. I also get the traction light flashing too.

I’ve not really noticed any spinning before from my car but I don’t know if I’m being paranoid or not. I have standard continentals on the front 235. Probably about 3 to 4ml left on them.

Haldex oil was last changed October 2015 at 29700 miles. Car is now reading 48700 miles.

Should I be expecting some sort of wheel spin or should I have nothing at all?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by GreyDave, 02 August 2019 - 09:24 PM.

sig.jpg

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I will apologise now, I have searched if I’ve missed something I’m sorry.

Earlier I noticed some wheel spin in first gear so I stopped a couple of times and done a hard start. Pulls away normally until boost comes in and then I get some wheel spin on the front, even a screech sometimes. I also get the traction light flashing too.

I’ve not really noticed any spinning before from my car but I don’t know if I’m being paranoid or not. I have standard continentals on the front 235. Probably about 3 to 4ml left on them.

Haldex oil was last changed October 2015 at 29700 miles. Car is now reading 48700 miles.

Should I be expecting some sort of wheel spin or should I have nothing at all?

Thanks, Dave

If you are getting wheel spin the Haldex pump has probably packed up.

When mine went on my 8P it was quite noticeable.
Car was a right handful when accelerating.

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
Mine does seem to drag and pull a lot, like it’s finding all the ruts in the road

sig.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Mine does seem to drag and pull a lot, like it’s finding all the ruts in the road

I can run a VCDS scan for you if you like. Bolton based. Not far from you. It may show haldex problems.PM me if interested.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

I can run a VCDS scan for you if you like. Bolton based. Not far from you. It may show haldex problems.PM me if interested.

Typically I have come down to Somerset tonight to put it back in the garage until further notice lol. I may have to bring it back up for you to plug in and see if it shows anything

sig.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

That`s a long trek just to garage a car. 

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Typically I have come down to Somerset tonight to put it back in the garage until further notice lol. I may have to bring it back up for you to plug in and see if it shows anything

I am in Bristol don’t have vcds but have OBD11. May still show something. Sounds like it could be haldex issues

Ollie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Generally this needs replacing Dave, the precharge pump

https://www.haldexre...ump-haldex-vag/

This filter below generally gets neglected also so may be worth doing also......

https://www.haldexre...udi-seat-skoda/

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

That`s a long trek just to garage a car.

My Mrs lives down here so I’m down here quite regular. I leave it down here when I don’t use it as it’s a lot safer lol

sig.jpg

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Generally this needs replacing Dave, the precharge pump

https://www.haldexre...ump-haldex-vag/

This filter below generally gets neglected also so may be worth doing also......

https://www.haldexre...udi-seat-skoda/

I actually found these last night whilst searching online, I noticed you can get a kit which has the pump, filter and oil

sig.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

I actually found these last night whilst searching online, I noticed you can get a kit which has the pump, filter and oil

That`s where I bought mine from. Excellent kit.

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
Just had a little mess about.

1st gear no spin and traction light until changing upto 2nd gear.

Traction turned off, pull away quickly but didn’t have any light flashing at all, didn’t notice really any spin either

sig.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

The haldex pump can and usually does give intermittent faults until it finally packs up altogether. 

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

The haldex pump can and usually does give intermittent faults until it finally packs up altogether.

Ahh ok. Maybe best I get it plugged in and see if it’s bringing anything up

sig.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Intermittent haldex faults don`t always show up. 

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
Definitely get it scanned and check if there’s any faults logged against the Haldex but if there isn’t check the state of your gearbox (not dogbone) mount. Reason I say that is I was getting a lot of traction light activity on full chat even on a dry road which disappeared when I fitted a new mount (with Powerflex insert as well). My old mount was so shagged the engine and gearbox were moving so much it was cutting power to the wheels and tripping the traction control 😫
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

GreyDave

GreyDave

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Definitely get it scanned and check if there’s any faults logged against the Haldex but if there isn’t check the state of your gearbox (not dogbone) mount. Reason I say that is I was getting a lot of traction light activity on full chat even on a dry road which disappeared when I fitted a new mount (with Powerflex insert as well). My old mount was so shagged the engine and gearbox were moving so much it was cutting power to the wheels and tripping the traction control

Ahh - thats definitely worth a look then. Cheers Duke

Edited by GreyDave, 07 August 2019 - 05:44 PM.

sig.jpg

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Anything that slows you down is good in my book - you were seriously quick around Coombe last year!

Uncapeez

Uncapeez

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
As mentioned above in a few different notes. The Haldex doesn't always (if at all) show a fault if plugged in. The pump is a common failing.
(2 on mine, one at 30k one at 50k). There is a filter Audi don't supply but can get on internet. Change that too at the same time. Your issues mentioned, scrabbling for grip and wheel spin are the typical faults of the Haldex pump failing.

MB RS3

MB RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationKent

Can you replace the Filter at a later date, after having the Pump/Oil replaced prior? 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.