7 replies to this topic

Bradabong

Bradabong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I have a 2013 RS3 8P and it’s making a horrible noise on startup,
It only happens from cold and only for around 30 seconds.

I have had the car in at Audi and they tried a software update that changes the oil pump to be high pressure from startup and said try that... £240 later and the next day it has made the noise again.

I have uploaded a video of it to YouTube so if anyone is kind enough to have a listen and give their thoughts it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks all in advance.

https://youtu.be/gJN_mwrZDWY

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
Sounds like you have timing chain rattle to me. Search the forum and you’ll find a few other members reporting similar issues.
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Yeah, I concour, definatly sounds like timing chain rattle.

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

100% chain. I had to have mine replaced.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Bradabong

Bradabong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the replies... I’ll get the chain done then... is it mega expensive? And is it making noise because it’s stretched or is it a tensioner issue? Thanks again

Edited by Bradabong, 04 July 2019 - 04:55 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

It`s best to get both chains done ,upper and lower as well as tensioners, guides, and cam sprockets.And yes it`s expensive. Mine was done under warranty but I was told if I had to pay it would have been circa £4K. An indy is the best way to go.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Bradabong

Bradabong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks buddy much appreciated

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationDundee
I was about £2800 at a good Indy for top and bottom chains and tensioners along with the cam variators. Also changed the DMF since it was off anyway. Yoi wiiid be looking at £2k as a ball park at an Indy.
Current: Catalunya Red 8V, that will hopefully be less draining on the finances.

Gone: One very needy 8p.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.