Photo

Are exhaust pops and bangs becoming naff?

24 replies to this topic

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

So here's a question that I thought I would never ask...... are we now getting to a point where our beloved exhaust pops and bangs are starting to become something that society despises?

I believe the blame for all this is the huge increase in the popularity of really crazy (naff??) crackle maps on cars  which get repeatably driven through town centres, retail parks and housing estates. I guess some of those cars probably even include RS3's from some of the Youtube footage I have seen recently.

On the A329M this morning a young lad in a modified BMW M135i was 'showing off' his sport exhaust which was ridiculously loud with a string of crackle bangs which seemed to go on forever. He probably thought he was so cool....... but from the hand gestures from the surrounding motorists I guess not. Even my 18yr old son said 'If I was in that car dad I would ask you to pull over and let me out, it's just too much'.

There are legal noise limits already in place but I can't help feeling that all this attention seeking boy racer crackle maps will shortly lead to the limits being rigorously enforced.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

Huwgo R

Huwgo R

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
Hi
Im tending to agree with you on this as ive seen and heard some cars pops n bangs and there little corsas etc !!!!!!!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Itā€™s amazing isnā€™t it how when the FL was released people thought the earth was about to stop turning on its axis.......why ? Because it didnā€™t pop and bang like the ā€˜old carā€™.

If you go on the idiot.net forum thereā€™s always regular postings about ā€˜my mates car is popping more than mineā€™ or ā€˜my cars making an uneven sound at idleā€™ or ā€˜gut yer back back to get it to sound like PFL carā€™ or............you catch my drift

Itā€™s like pops & bangs are the only thing that define a car, yet nothing is mentioned about the cars handling / driving characteristics or by how much Audi have made the 5 pot better, no because it donā€™t pop & bang itā€™s no good.

Wait until we get the first batches of the WLTP cars through, Christ it will feel like the end of humanity to some people

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Itā€™s amazing isnā€™t it how when the FL was released people thought the earth was about to stop turning on its axis.......why ? Because it didnā€™t pop and bang like the ā€˜old carā€™.

If you go on the idiot.net forum thereā€™s always regular postings about ā€˜my mates car is popping more than mineā€™ or ā€˜my cars making an uneven sound at idleā€™ or ā€˜gut yer back back to get it to sound like PFL carā€™ or............you catch my drift

Itā€™s like pops & bangs are the only thing that define a car, yet nothing is mentioned about the cars handling / driving characteristics or by how much Audi have made the 5 pot better, no because it donā€™t pop & bang itā€™s no good.

Wait until we get the first batches of the WLTP cars through, Christ it will feel like the end of humanity to some people

My FL car has got a Scorpion DP and decat and is pretty loud. It does pop and bang loudly on lift off too (louder than my old PFL car actually). But members of the public are now seeing our cars in a similar vein as all the noisy Fiesta ST's, Mk2 Focus ST, Corsa's and god knows what else that try to emulate our type of car by adding ridiculous crackle maps.

I was in a queue going through Farnham town centre a couple of weeks ago. The guy in front in his BMW (yes another BMW) thought it was brilliant to revs the nuts off his car to get his crackle map to bang very loudly. He did this continually while edging forward in the traffic....until a member of the public (whose two little girls were crying because of the loud bangs) stepped off the pavement and threatened to drag him out the car if he didn't stop.

And this is my point, despite our 'heritage' of the five pot engine making lovely pops and bangs straight from Audi, I believe the shear number of Hannu Mikkola wannbees are attracting attention for all the wrong reasons. I get it that they all want their cars to sound 'Sporty' but there are so many of them now has it not become a bit naff?   

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
The 4 pot crackle maps are poo and that is to blame yes. The RS3 ones PFL especially (sorry FL owners) are bonkers much like half a V10 imho. People could hear me from blocks away!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
It now seems something Audi started a few years ago with the PFL has now caught on with other manufacturers & tuners making these cars public enemy No 1.

Personally i was never a fan off the shotgun crackles & bang as i like to go around doing my speeding without bring attention to myself.

Thats back fired on everyone šŸ˜‚

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 11 June 2019 - 03:47 PM.

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
The best thing about pops 'n bangs with the sports exhaust is that it can be turned down. Generally I do not drive around in full dynamic mode every time I'm in the car.

For me it makes it all the more mental when I do open those valves.

Boy racers have always wanted loud exhausts, I remember some ridiculous cars with even more ridiculous exhausts back in the day, but nowadays thanks to everything being a "software" map, I guess it's just too damned easy for them.

It's only a matter of time until the clamp down begins...

:blue: ā€‹    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

The clampdown is already here Oz - I got my collar felt and was forced to attend a police garage for checks in a stock car last year. I only went for the PCW mod as revenge.

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

The clampdown is already here Oz - I got my collar felt and was forced to attend a police garage for checks in a stock car last year. I only went for the PCW mod as revenge.

Ah yeah, of course I remember that episode...

:blue: ā€‹    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Plus also talk of "listening" cameras with auto fines in the post.

TX.

Nardo RS4

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

The Plod on the spot were intent on siezing the car - the political environment is far harsher for such severe crimes now so it would be off to the pound no doubt today.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Whats strange with all this is i run an open pipe on my MT07 Yamaha which has a very deep V twin sound & don't have the slightest problem with the plod šŸ¤”

Dell.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

The Plod on the spot were intent on siezing the car - the political environment is far harsher for such severe crimes now so it would be off to the pound no doubt today.

My son showed me a Shmee 150 vid from Youtube. (forum page wont allow me to post a link - sorry)

The Monaco police are seizing any car that makes the slightest revving noise, including cold starts too. Some RS3 's included in the seized vehicles parking lot.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 11 June 2019 - 07:57 PM.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Whats strange with all this is i run an open pipe on my MT07 Yamaha which has a very deep V twin sound & don't have the slightest problem with the plod

Dell.

I don't think they can quite be bothered with bike yet Dell - that is going to change quite quickly given that most of the racket is caused by 2 wheel hooligans like you!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I don't think they can quite be bothered with bike yet Dell - that is going to change quite quickly given that most of the racket is caused by 2 wheel hooligans like you!

For the last 39 years I've had aftermarket pipes on my bikes šŸ˜

Loud pipes save lives !

Its the shotgun crack that upsets people not the exhaust volume.

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I beg to differ - I live by Apex Corner and the bike noise is unreal - moving to fields surrounded by fields in 7 weeks thank f*ck.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I beg to differ - I live by Apex Corner and the bike noise is unreal - moving to fields surrounded by fields in 7 weeks thank f*ck.

Apex corner is a shite place for noise with or without the bikes treating it as a race track.šŸ˜–

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I can't disagree - hence to move to fieldland!  Lots of straight RS3 tempting roads thrown in for free too - a hooligan's charter.

Lawrence

Lawrence

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
You can understand some peopleā€™s concern nowadays with all these terrorist attacks some of these crackle maps sound like an automatic gun going off and in a big city like London could cause fear or alarm to many people. I personally hate the loud rev on startup in my RS3, feel like a right tit at the petrol station

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

You can understand some peopleā€™s concern nowadays with all these terrorist attacks some of these crackle maps sound like an automatic gun going off and in a big city like London could cause fear or alarm to many people. I personally hate the loud rev on startup in my RS3, feel like a right tit at the petrol station

True story bro, I was at Silverstone in the RS3 driving on the road that runs around the edge towards the car park. It was a few years back when I think terrorism was on high alert as the police there had guns; I rev'd the car for dramatic effect only to see about 10 armed police turn around that I hadn't spotted! I went on my way sheepish to say the least.

TX.

Nardo RS4

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
Ā© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.