Photo

Audi RS3 8V FL LPG

29 replies to this topic

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi all, I have been reading through the posts to see if this has been covered before but I can’t find any info on it.

I would like to know if anyone has had their car converted to LPG and what the outcome has been? I have owned the car from new and it’s just ticked over 10k and I’ve wondered how much money has been spent on fuel within that time because it’s not very economical to use as a family daily and as the kids get older they’ll be wanting more and more lifts here, there and everywhere, it must be possible to run the car more efficiently and still have fun without drinking like an alcoholic, has anyone tried?

Thanks in advance, Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

You cannot be serious  :(

Or just put in a diesel engine.

Edited by 0120raptor, 06 June 2019 - 10:10 PM.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You cannot be serious :(
Or just put in a diesel engine.

Why would I put in a diesel engine? Can I buy a 5pot diesel with 400hp? If I only get 200 miles from a full tank of fuel then I either need a bigger fuel tank or a more efficient way to run it because journeys aren’t much fun when watching the fuel gauge drop like a stone

Lawrence

Lawrence

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
I’m no expert on lpg but I would have thought with an engine like the one in our rs3s it prob isn’t a good idea, these cars should be run on high octane fuel so to run on lpg I can only guess wouldn’t give the engine as much protection as from what I’m told lpg burns a bit hotter. I could be wrong about this as I’m not clued up about lpg. Do what I’ve done and get yourself a cheap diesel I have a 2001 golf 1.9tdi with 35000 miles on the clock picked it up for 250 quid needing a couple of jobs done use it for work every day and ideal for taking to places where I don’t need to worry some **** isn’t going to hit it by mistake(supermarket car parks)

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Why would I put in a diesel engine? Can I buy a 5pot diesel with 400hp? If I only get 200 miles from a full tank of fuel then I either need a bigger fuel tank or a more efficient way to run it because journeys aren’t much fun when watching the fuel gauge drop like a stone

With regards to the fuel range welcome to RS3 ownership 😂 I did once see the range figures on a full tank settle at 380miles from a fill up, but this was when I was using it last year where in 6 months tallied up almost 15000 miles. 300 miles on a full tank in real world driving is going to be your limit if doing a lot of motorway driving

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Sell and get a diesel if mpg is your "thing" imho. What a waste of a classic engine.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Lee.

The thing to remember is 400ps comes at a price & your paying for it at the pumps just the same as everyone else on here who love the 5 pot engine.

I'm with Lawrence get a cheap run about & play Uber with the kids mate.

Dell.

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Here we go again!  :rolleyes: 
Folk buying a car with a performnce engine & expecting the fuel consumption of a toyota preus!
As its been siad above - power comes at a cost - if you can't afford it, stop bitching about it & go & buy a preus. 

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Of all the things I’d thought might one day be asked on here......

This is pretty much the craziest thing I’ve ever read.....

Christ on a bike, whatever next ? Round steering wheels......

Worlds gone nuts.

If you ever do get the 5 pot converted maybe the 8 speed Box would be a worthwhile addition.....

Edited by T-800, 07 June 2019 - 03:27 PM.

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
You ask a simple question and you get treated like an idiot. I’m not too bothered about the cost and I have a diesel Q7 if I wanted economy but all I wanted to know is if the RS3 could be converted to run on LPG, I didn’t ask for insults

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

You ask a simple question and you get treated like an idiot. I’m not too bothered about the cost and I have a diesel Q7 if I wanted economy but all I wanted to know is if the RS3 could be converted to run on LPG, I didn’t ask for insults

Please tell me, you weren’t actually serious ?
A fork lift truck to LPG yes I see the sense
But an RS3......? Come on you gotta read it back to yourself and think really???

No ones insulting you, however I read your original post and as many others have said to me since reading it, are you insulting us ?

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Please tell me, you weren’t actually serious ?
A fork lift truck to LPG yes I see the sense
But an RS3......? Come on you gotta read it back to yourself and think really???

No ones insulting you, however I read your original post and as many others have said to me since reading it, are you insulting us ?

I suppose that if I’m asking if someone has had their car converted then I don’t expect people to jump at the chance to slate me who haven’t had theirs converted, I’m not insulting no one anymore than you are by replying with sarcasm.
Obviously if I’ve bought a brand new fully loaded RS3 for £65k in cash then I’m not bothered by the running costs as so much as the 200 miles I get from a full tank. I want to extend the range and make the car more useable on a daily basis as it’s more fun to use than my new shape Q7 diesel, I suppose I shouldn’t have a diesel car because diesel is for lorries?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I suppose that if I’m asking if someone has had their car converted then I don’t expect people to jump at the chance to slate me who haven’t had theirs converted, I’m not insulting no one anymore than you are by replying with sarcasm.
Obviously if I’ve bought a brand new fully loaded RS3 for £65k in cash then I’m not bothered by the running costs as so much as the 200 miles I get from a full tank. I want to extend the range and make the car more useable on a daily basis as it’s more fun to use than my new shape Q7 diesel, I suppose I shouldn’t have a diesel car because diesel is for lorries?

No diesel isn’t just for lorries.

LPG certainly isn’t for a performance car like the RS3.

This has gotta be a wind up thread.....

Oh and I don’t know why you feel the need to throw in RS3 fully loaded figures into this......

Everyone who owns one is fully aware of how much they cost and to run.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
I know a chap who converted his car to run on vegetable oil, no VAT on it apparently so perhaps another money saving idea?

TX.

Edited by terminator x, 07 June 2019 - 06:03 PM.

Nardo RS4

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I know a chap who converted his car to run on vegetable oil, no VAT on it apparently so perhaps another money saving idea?

TX.

I did that with my b5 Passat tdi but I don’t think my petrol RS3 would ever run on chip pan fat unfortunately, I loved the smell of fish and chips when stuck in traffic

Wingnut_RS

Wingnut_RS

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

No diesel isn’t just for lorries.

LPG certainly isn’t for a performance car like the RS3.

This has gotta be a wind up thread.....

Oh and I don’t know why you feel the need to throw in RS3 fully loaded figures into this......

Everyone who owns one is fully aware of how much they cost and to run.

So every other large performance car can be converted to run on lpg for economy and the environmental benefits but an RS3 engine capable of being tuned to over 1000hp can’t be run on lpg?

I brought the cost of the car into this because everyone is slating me because I’m trying to run a performance car on a budget, if I pay in full for an RS3 then I can obviously afford to run it otherwise the car would be financed like 80% of RS owners that buy new. I know exactly what the running costs are but if I can cut it by a third or even a quarter then it’s got to be a huge bonus and would be a benefit to everyone that thinks that this is a joke

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

So every other large performance car can be converted to run on lpg for economy and the environmental benefits but an RS3 engine capable of being tuned to over 1000hp can’t be run on lpg?

I brought the cost of the car into this because everyone is slating me because I’m trying to run a performance car on a budget, if I pay in full for an RS3 then I can obviously afford to run it otherwise the car would be financed like 80% of RS owners that buy new. I know exactly what the running costs are but if I can cut it by a third or even a quarter then it’s got to be a huge bonus and would be a benefit to everyone that thinks that this is a joke

What other performance cars that run on LPG are you referring to ?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Look - I think the problem you have got here is that LPG reduces power by 15 - 25% - first issue.

Second, there is no spare wheel well so where is the tank going to go?

Third - you lose the lubrication properties associated with the petrol system - really not good in a car like this. You also junk pretty much all of the warranty in one stroke.  Also, I daren't think what it would do to the residual value.

I get fed up with the number of trips to the filling station and the associated cost but, unfortunately it comes with the territory. A more economical car is the answer if it really doesn't suit.

Financially when you take into account the conversion cost, the warranty issue and the residual issue it cannot make sense.

It doesn't make sense from an RS3's drivers point of view either.

Lawrence

Lawrence

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
This thread is getting a bit silly now, i think the answer to your question is no, doesn’t seem like anyone here has lpg converted their car and the general consensus is no one would as it would probably compromise the reliability of the engine.you would need to seek some impartial advice from an lpg expert. Yes the car would run on lpg but I don’t think I would risk it in my RS3. Just get that premium petrol in the tank and see how little miles you can do before it’s empty! 👍

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
I do not really see the appeal of trying to run an RS3 on LPG.

There would be some side effects, notably that the intake valves would lose the cooling effect from normal fuel: petrol engines utilise the fact that the fuel is a liquid to cool the intake valves, this would be lost burning gas... Maybe not an issue short term but...

Then there's going to be a percentage power loss, because the gas would require more molecules to be burnt, when compared to petrol, to meet the correct fuel/air ratio.

Plus LPG would not greatly decrease the fuel consumption, just that it's cheaper than petrol.

Then the big one: where would the gas tank go? Normally they fit in the spare wheel well...

:blue: ​    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.