- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
My airbag light has now come on over the weekend.

Anyone else had this and/or suggestions on what the issue is most likely to be please ?

Cheers ... Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

My airbag light has now come on over the weekend.
Anyone else had this and/or suggestions on what the issue is most likely to be please ?
Cheers ... Chris

VCD or another diagnostic system to investigate it is the only answer mate.

Dell.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Alas I suspected as much. Thanks for the prompt response.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Alas I suspected as much. Thanks for the prompt response.

It may just be a blip & recorded a error but once reset via diagnostic it may not come back mate.

Dell.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

It may just be a blip & recorded a error but once reset via diagnostic it may not come back mate.

Dell.

Took it to a garage this morning.

Plugged in & left 5 mins later with error reset and light no longer showing. Phew ..

Apparently relatively common in Audi when driver seat is moved backwards and forwards a bit (and I do) - as the wires to the driver’s side air bag in the door pillar get bent back and forth and can short.

Mostly an error reset is all it needs, but sometimes need to take out front seat and mend the broken wire.

Would be an MOT failure if left

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Took it to a garage this morning. Plugged in & left 5 mins later with error reset and light no longer showing. Phew ..Apparently relatively common in Audi when driver seat is moved backwards and forwards a bit (and I do) - as the wires to the driver’s side air bag in the door pillar get bent back and forth and can short. Mostly an error reset is all it needs, but sometimes need to take out front seat and mend the broken wire. Would be an MOT failure if left Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chis.

I've seen that problem on a mk4 golf with the passager seat airbag.

The term short normally means open circuit in the car world as the12v supply doesn't return so it assumes its going to earth or negative.

If the wires were to short across each other there blow a fuse mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 23 May 2019 - 08:34 AM.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Chis.

I've seen that problem on a mk4 golf with the passager seat airbag.

The term short normally means open circuit in the car world as the12v supply doesn't return so it assumes its going to earth or negative.

If the wires were to short across each other there blow a fuse mate.

Dell.

K - thanks Dell. Apologies- I may have used the incorrect word ie ‘short’. I’m just pleased it seems fixed

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

K - thanks Dell. Apologies- I may have used the incorrect word ie ‘short’. I’m just pleased it seems fixed Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris.

You use the right term as per diagnostics but its meaning is misleading mate.🙄

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 23 May 2019 - 12:36 PM.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Bottoms .. light keeps coming on after being reset by garage.

I've searched tinternet and am happy enough to undertake a DIY re-connection of the yellow connector wires under the front seats using some heatshrink butt connectors .. but .. when I look to buy them, I notice that (in Halfords at least) they come in different resistances. Additionally, elsewhere, there seems to be guidance that recommends certain size connector depending on the wire size. See example links below.

https://www.halfords...rink connectors

https://www.ebay.co....Set/27020025706

Naturally, given that it is an electrical signal that sets the air bag off ... and I prefer to be able to see where I am driving .... I want to make sure that I have the correct connector. Can anyone therefore advise which ones to get please ?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Have you actually checked the multiplug connections to make sure all is ok ?

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Have you actually checked the multiplug connections to make sure all is ok ?

Everything seems ok/ tight - but if I’m honest I’m a bit wary - possibly unnecessarily- of jiggling too much even if ignition has been off for a good 30 mins.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and disconnect the battery and then have a good route around !!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Everything seems ok/ tight - but if I’m honest I’m a bit wary - possibly unnecessarily- of jiggling too much even if ignition has been off for a good 30 mins.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and disconnect the battery and then have a good route around !!

Only need to disconnect the negative

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.