27 replies to this topic

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

I fitted the above last year and it improved the slop in transmission as expected.Recently however I`ve been getting clunking on hard gear changes. I`ve checked the obvious to no avail. Tomorrow the car is in Audi for warranty work so I thought I better remove the Forge mount just to be safe. The useless thing is bent like a banana.One of the "ears" has been hitting the Audi rubber mount so hard it`s eaten it`s way clean through the rubber hence the clunking.  What a piece of c**p.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Not good at all!
You got any pics of it? I remember when I had the 034 in my Golf R and that bent.
034 said it’s supposed to bend and that it was perfectly normal!
On mine I’ve recently fitted the ECS one which is rubber and metal but will keep an eye on it.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

It`s on it`s way back to Awesome for a refund.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
How long was it fitted?
I know you said last year but wondered if it was the end of the year or earlier.

Edited by Quattro, 06 March 2019 - 08:20 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

It`s probably been fitted about 15 months ish.

I`ve just checked. It`s only been on since last July. About 7K miles.

Edited by 0120raptor, 06 March 2019 - 08:14 PM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Neil.

I found my 034 has bent very slighty when i removed it to fit the powerflex insert im now using due to the increase vibration after fit the powerflex gearbox insert.

Dell.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

I fitted the above last year and it improved the slop in transmission as expected.Recently however I`ve been getting clunking on hard gear changes. I`ve checked the obvious to no avail. Tomorrow the car is in Audi for warranty work so I thought I better remove the Forge mount just to be safe. The useless thing is bent like a banana.One of the "ears" has been hitting the Audi rubber mount so hard it`s eaten it`s way clean through the rubber hence the clunking.  What a piece of c**p.

I have used the 034 alloy insert and also the Forge motorsport lower dogbone insert. Both these parts have bent (see pics below). I have come to the conclusion that just fitting the lower dogbone insert is a waste of time as it still allows the engine/gearbox to move about (which is why they bend). The top part of the bush void also needs supporting properly to restrict the movement.

Recently 034 Motorsport, ECS Tuning and APR have released their Pendulum mount kits which include a replacement arm, an upper dogbone insert and the lower dogbone insert. The APR lower dogbone insert is now made of stainless steel to resist bending.

I jacked my car up and stripped all the parts off so I could see what its all about. I ended up fitting the 034 upper and lower dogbone inserts but did not replace the pendulum arm as it feels plenty sturdy enough.The result is noticeable improvement of gear changing and the car seems sharper when changing direction (around roundabouts for example). There is a small amount of additional vibration that can be felt through the centre console when the engine is cold, seems to be less noticeable when it warms up. Note: The bolt is supposed to be a one time use only item so get yourself a spare before you start.

I have also seen Powerflex inserts which slide into the whole bush void from underneath and bolt in place. I have one on order and will be giving it a try in the next few weeks.

https://www.awesomeg...-830-pff85-832/

034 Motorsport lower dogbone mount - bent!

IMG_3308.JPG

The Forge Motorsport lower dogbone mount - bent!

IMG_0394.jpg

The OEM pendulum mount.........not bent or distorted so I fitted it back on again.

IMG_0396.jpg

The 034 Motorsport upper dogbone mount. This slides into the front void (can be easily done from underneath) and works in conjunction with the lower dogbone mount. Seems to be the best solution so far.

IMG_0393.jpg

Edited by Fivepotfan, 07 March 2019 - 08:59 AM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Fivepot

That`s superb info. I`ve always thought just replacing the lower mount is a waste of time. There`s a stack of movement in the top mount. I`ll get both fitted if Audi can fix the no drive issue.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Fivepot

That`s superb info. I`ve always thought just replacing the lower mount is a waste of time. There`s a stack of movement in the top mount. I`ll get both fitted if Audi can fix the no drive issue.

Here's a link showing the upper dogbone insert. No surprise that the lower one bends if fitted on it's own.Scroll down to see the cutaways of the bush under load.

https://store.034mot...t-tts-ttrs.html

Edited by Fivepotfan, 06 March 2019 - 10:16 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

When I said top mount I meant the mounting above the alternator. I put car in park with handbrake off and on level ground pushed and pulled car. The engine movement is horrific.Must be 3". Audi said that was normal ,but they would say that.

MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

When I said top mount I meant the mounting above the alternator. I put car in park with handbrake off and on level ground pushed and pulled car. The engine movement is horrific.Must be 3". Audi said that was normal ,but they would say that.

Have you ever seen how much the engine rolls on a dyno? When they lift off it snaps back to it's 'natural' position and must be about 10 degrees of play, maybe more. If the engine was fixed, that force would be on the gearbox, I suppose.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Have you ever seen how much the engine rolls on a dyno? When they lift off it snaps back to it's 'natural' position and must be about 10 degrees of play, maybe more. If the engine was fixed, that force would be on the gearbox, I suppose.

Neil builds them for a living....

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

I have used the 034 alloy insert and also the Forge motorsport lower dogbone insert. Both these parts have bent (see pics below). I have come to the conclusion that just fitting the lower dogbone insert is a waste of time as it still allows the engine/gearbox to move about (which is why they bend). The top part of the bush void also needs supporting properly to restrict the movement.
Recently 034 Motorsport, ECS Tuning and APR have released their Pendulum mount kits which include a replacement arm, an upper dogbone insert and the lower dogbone insert. The APR lower dogbone insert is now made of stainless steel to resist bending.
I jacked my car up and stripped all the parts off so I could see what its all about. I ended up fitting the 034 upper and lower dogbone inserts but did not replace the pendulum arm as it feels plenty sturdy enough.The result is noticeable improvement of gear changing and the car seems sharper when changing direction (around roundabouts for example). There is a small amount of additional vibration that can be felt through the centre console when the engine is cold, seems to be less noticeable when it warms up. Note: The bolt is supposed to be a one time use only item so get yourself a spare before you start.

I have also seen Powerflex inserts which slide into the whole bush void from underneath and bolt in place. I have one on order and will be giving it a try in the next few weeks.
https://www.awesomeg...-830-pff85-832/

034 Motorsport lower dogbone mount - bent!
attachicon.gif IMG_3308.JPG

The Forge Motorsport lower dogbone mount - bent!
attachicon.gif IMG_0394.jpg

The OEM pendulum mount.........not bent or distorted so got fitted back on again.
attachicon.gif IMG_0396.jpg

The 034 Motorsport upper dogbone mount. This slides into the front void (can be easily done from underneath) and works in conjunction with the lower dogbone mount. Seems to be the best solution so far.
attachicon.gif IMG_0393.jpg

I have the powerflex inserts fitted on my 8p. Dog bone insert plus the main top mount under the air box.
Proper happy with the results, loads of slop before now its perfect. Price is good too.

f76b81e34dd890e4227f46f06bf0d603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by OllieC, 07 March 2019 - 08:13 AM.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Powerflex insert arrived today. If the weather behaves itself I may get it fitted at the weekend and see what it's like.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Fitted the Powerflex insert this morning.

First impressions...... big increase in vibrations into the cabin, especially at cold start but as the engine warms it reduces a little. To be expected I suppose considering that it fills up all the voids in the OEM mount.

Out on the road the gear changes feel more precise and the handling feels like it has sharpened up a bit more too. The car would be ok on a race track (which is what the Powerflex insert is designed for), however, when driving at a normal civilised pace on the road in stop start traffic, the increase in cabin vibrations (mostly centre console and seats) is gonna drive me nuts.

I have a feeling that I will soon be removing it. Never mind, had to give it a try. It only cost around £35 and 40mins of my time.  

Edited by Fivepotfan, 09 March 2019 - 11:28 PM.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
The only thing I’d say to this, I would give it a chance as the vibration usually reduces greatly once it’s done 400 miles it so.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

The only thing I’d say to this, I would give it a chance as the vibration usually reduces greatly once it’s done 400 miles it so.

I will give it a try.......damn thing feels like a race car at the moment. :blink:

I do like the way the car changes direction and the gear changes seem crisper too.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 09 March 2019 - 11:28 PM.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

I will give it a try.......damn thing feels like a race car at the moment. :blink:

I do like the way the car changes direction now and the gear changes seem crisper too.

On my previous RS3 I tried the yellow insert and although it got better I couldn’t live with it.
I then changed it for a red one which is listed for diesels.
That for me was perfect.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

On my previous RS3 I tried the yellow insert and although it got better I couldn’t live with it.
I then changed it for a red one which is listed for diesels.
That for me was perfect.

So the red one is a softer compound?

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
https://www.powerfle...tment Table.jpg

Yup
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.