- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

electricfurnace

electricfurnace

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Had my 8p for a couple of months now. Hands down best car I’ve owned as an overall package.

Previously had a B7 RS4, Mkv and Mkiv Golf R32’s, FN2 Type R, Clio 172.

The 8p is my fave! Not particularly noticed the often-mentioned Understeer.

Maybe not so much on this forum but on other Audi forums and in press reviews, the 8p doesn’t seem to be well regarded compared to the 8v, or in general. Are they really that different? And why the 8p poor reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Had my 8p for a couple of months now. Hands down best car I’ve owned as an overall package.

Previously had a B7 RS4, Mkv and Mkiv Golf R32’s, FN2 Type R, Clio 172.

The 8p is my fave! Not particularly noticed the often-mentioned Understeer.

Maybe not so much on this forum but on other Audi forums and in press reviews, the 8p doesn’t seem to be well regarded compared to the 8v, or in general. Are they really that different? And why the 8p poor reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had em all, loved owning all of them.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

No idea on this one - I had an 8P 2L S-Line for 2 years and 35,000 miles and it was bomb proof. Great car.

Currently on a demolition derby with the Mrs and, apart from the panel damage (new rear door and rear bumper so far), still bomb proof.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Love mine. Their loss.

I used to be on a lot of Audi biased forums, and I do wonder If some if the bigger RS boys at the time of the 8P launch felt threatened by the performance of their smaller brother, I bet a lot of the doubters never tried one.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
I've had mine for coming up to 6 years & still love it too bits 😁

Dell.

RS3JET

RS3JET

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSouth

:up_it: 

Agree with you Dell, just love it, always puts a smile on my face, even after nearly 7 years    

Graham

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I loved mine, although I had my fair share of issues I never got tired of it. They are not very common round my way, always seen people trying to figure out why that noise coming from and A3. 8V’s are a lot more common around my area, not as common as Golf R’s became after I bought mine in 2014 though The motoring journalists always jump on the understeer bandwagon. Any car will understeer if provoked enough. A simple and cheap upgrades of the ARB transforms the car. The 8V does handle better out of the box though.

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSurrey

I've had an 8P & an 8V  & although they are both special, the 8P just felt that somthing differant & more sturdly built than the 8V

My Wife also has an 8P & I still love to drive it whenever I get the opportunity. The 8p is somthing more special now as there were less of them built than the 8V series.

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

The 8P is considered by many as an afterthought by Audi rather than a purposeful RS. The engine was just stuck in, and other aspects of the design were barely given any thought. For example the front arches were flared bolt on's, and the rears were not. Then there was that awful reverse rake on the suspension setup. These are the opinions I had come across at that time.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

The 8P is considered by many as an afterthought by Audi rather than a purposeful RS. The engine was just stuck in, and other aspects of the design were barely given any thought. For example the front arches were flared bolt on's, and the rears were not. Then there was that awful reverse rake on the suspension setup. These are the opinions I had come across at that time.

The 2750 built 8P RS3 was not an after thought but more of Audi dipping its toe in the water of the financial viability of them building a A3 RS in the up coming 8v MBQ chassis by using the engine,dsg & other shared components from the TTRS.

The carbon composite arches were a necessity to accommodate the option 255 tyres & of course the one off bumper to match the arches.

The main body off the 8v RS3 is no different to say a S-Line model still no one off flared aches like any off it RS big brother's.

The 500 allocated to the UK was so overscribed that Audi made an additional 250 to accommodate.

Without the marketing success of the 8P RS3 you may never have had the privilege to owning a 8v RS3.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 08 February 2019 - 09:47 AM.

GHD129

GHD129

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I've had um-teen M 3's in the E36, E46 and E92 models and found the RS3 a great car by comparison. It's far less technical and I love the flexibility of sport-back layout. It's quick too with terrific torque. Equally as fast as any M car.

I have to say I do like the later model and think Audi have done a great job with it, particularly the interior with the interactive dash and the layout.

That said the 2012 model I have does appear to be holding it's selling value, by comparison to the purchase price I paid back in 2016!

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
My 8V didn't understeer in the slightest either. Imho you get some twats throwing the car into corners on a track at silly speeds hence "understeer" which is never seen on the road.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

My 8V didn't understeer in the slightest either. Imho you get some twats throwing the car into corners on a track at silly speeds hence "understeer" which is never seen on the road.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Chris Harris’ video when he had the 8p RS3 against the M135i proved that. Not that he isn’t biased towards BMW’s. . .

He kept throwing the RS3 into corners unsettling it. If I remember right he also thought it had adaptive dampers when he complained about the ride comfort.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

The 2750 built 8P RS3 was not an after thought but more of Audi dipping its toe in the water of the financial viability of them building a A3 RS in the up coming 8v MBQ chassis by using the engine,dsg & other shared components from the TTRS.

The carbon composite arches were a necessity to accommodate the option 255 tyres & of course the one off bumper to match the arches.

The main body off the 8v RS3 is no different to say a S-Line model still no one off flared aches like any off it RS big brother's.

The 500 allocated to the UK was so overscribed that Audi made an additional 250 to accommodate.

Without the marketing success of the 8P RS3 you may never have had the privilege to owning a 8v RS3.

Dell.

Agreed Dell.

TT RS already had the 5 pot since 2009 so it’s now wonder Audi thought let’s create a hyper hatch.

All the 8P needed was the ARB / better springs and decent brake discs to enhance an already great car.

People who slag it off because they haven’t owned one are bonkers.

Having the ‘latest’ thing doesn’t always mean it’s better, look how many owners tweak their 8V / 8V.5

Real Thing

Real Thing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Fantastic Cars in fact I like them so much bought my 5th one last year and prefer them over the 8V although technology and design is showing it's age a bit now

Audi Addict

Audi Addict

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Fantastic Cars in fact I like them so much bought my 5th one last year and prefer them over the 8V although technology and design is showing it's age a bit now

Similar situation here @Real thing, currently enjoying my second 8p (mileage clocking up already due frequent driving), I prefer 8p to 8v. I literally don’t drive the MK7 R very much. The look and the build of the 8p in my opinion still has a certain presence.
Saving for an RS6😎

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

Similar situation here @Real thing, currently enjoying my second 8p (mileage clocking up already due frequent driving), I prefer 8p to 8v. I literally don’t drive the MK7 R very much. The look and the build of the 8p in my opinion still has a certain presence.

I see loads of 8v pfl & fl in Aberdeen but when I see an 8p I always do a double take, never see many on the roads.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.