42 replies to this topic

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone local with an RS3, there are a few kicking about but not so sure who they are haha.
That sounds like a nightmare! The problem with these cars is that when it comes to fault finding the costs can spiral without even denting the fault.
Anyways I ‘may’ have figured it out so need to look at it at the earliest opportunity. Basically when driving hole the other night down the motorway I heard a humming sort of drone from the back left, initially thinking it was the exhaust I dropped it out of gear and coasted. The hum remained and continued to slow as the car slowed, so my initial thoughts was the wheel bearing. However when I got home and checked the wheel it was extremely hot, where as I could touch the other 3 discs and they were just hand hot. So looks to me like the brake is binding on the rear left.
Then I thought how could that cause the issue of the rear end shaking? Well since the power is transmitted through the rear dif, I’m presuming more power is going to the rear right than the rear left causing the car to try and push it to the left. Then I’m guessing the ABS system is noticing the wheels are all spinning at different speeds and it’s kicking the Haldex in and out.
I don’t know if Haldex would do such a thing in this situation but it would make sense as to why the car feels all to hell when trying to give it some.

The ESP & the Haldax do use the ABS sensors to do there thing so if you can correct the binding issue & go from there mate.

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone local with an RS3, there are a few kicking about but not so sure who they are haha.
That sounds like a nightmare! The problem with these cars is that when it comes to fault finding the costs can spiral without even denting the fault.
Anyways I ‘may’ have figured it out so need to look at it at the earliest opportunity. Basically when driving hole the other night down the motorway I heard a humming sort of drone from the back left, initially thinking it was the exhaust I dropped it out of gear and coasted. The hum remained and continued to slow as the car slowed, so my initial thoughts was the wheel bearing. However when I got home and checked the wheel it was extremely hot, where as I could touch the other 3 discs and they were just hand hot. So looks to me like the brake is binding on the rear left.
Then I thought how could that cause the issue of the rear end shaking? Well since the power is transmitted through the rear dif, I’m presuming more power is going to the rear right than the rear left causing the car to try and push it to the left. Then I’m guessing the ABS system is noticing the wheels are all spinning at different speeds and it’s kicking the Haldex in and out.
I don’t know if Haldex would do such a thing in this situation but it would make sense as to why the car feels all to hell when trying to give it some.

The ESP & the Haldax do use the ABS sensors to do there thing so if you can correct the binding issue & go from there mate.

Dell.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
Caliper was seized solid! I was expecting it to be the sliders but turned out to be the cylinder. Once I rotated it a few times and returned it to its furthest position I cleaned everything and refitted it and it seems to be working great after a good run out the wheels no longer hot, brakes feel better and I ‘think’’ it’s solved the Quattro issue but need a bit more time to test that. Put a video on to show just how bad the wheel was!

Cheers for the help, new calipers will be on the list I think 👍🏻

Attached File  10DE2E5F-B1B4-4151-BEF0-A5193A56DC77.MOV   7.02MB   22 downloads

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.