• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
Hey chaps, my car seems to suffer terribly with wheel hop and I’m not entirely sure where to start. Traction control on and it cuts power to stop the hopping, traction in sport it hops a fair bit and traction off it would just keep going for fun I think haha.

I have 255/30/19 PS4S tyres on front and 235/35/19 PZero tyres on the rear, so rubber quality isn’t an issue. I don’t have any faults showing on VCDS and the Haldex was last serviced by Audi just shy of a year back.

I don’t have the lower dogbone insert fitted anymore since Audi kindly removed it and didn’t return it, I know that’s meant to reduce the hop, so is that potentially all that’s wrong?

My other thought is that with the poly flex gearbox mount fitted, that’s putting more movement to the dogbone than before?

Or could it simply be the haldex is not functioning?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I’d love to finally get the car down to MRC, but seems a bit pointless when it can’t put stock figures down at the moment haha.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hey chaps, my car seems to suffer terribly with wheel hop and I’m not entirely sure where to start. Traction control on and it cuts power to stop the hopping, traction in sport it hops a fair bit and traction off it would just keep going for fun I think haha.

I have 255/30/19 PS4S tyres on front and 235/35/19 PZero tyres on the rear, so rubber quality isn’t an issue. I don’t have any faults showing on VCDS and the Haldex was last serviced by Audi just shy of a year back.

I don’t have the lower dogbone insert fitted anymore since Audi kindly removed it and didn’t return it, I know that’s meant to reduce the hop, so is that potentially all that’s wrong?

My other thought is that with the poly flex gearbox mount fitted, that’s putting more movement to the dogbone than before?

Or could it simply be the haldex is not functioning?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I’d love to finally get the car down to MRC, but seems a bit pointless when it can’t put stock figures down at the moment haha.

Get yourself a powerflex dog bone mount insert! Really cheaper and quick to fit then you can rule that out.

I put one in mine after we both did our upper mounts. Really like what it did to my car.

Just for your info, I have cheap Falken tires on the front that the dealer put on when I bought the car. I have only ever seen my traction control light twice. Both times full throttle in the wet out of junction.
Find it almost impossible to loose grip, and I drive it like a stole it a fair amount of time. (Not mapped though). So what you are experiencing doesn’t sound normal?!?

Ollie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I don’t go a drive without seeing it to be honest. I am going to get the polyflex lower insert as you say but I’m a bit worried that there’s something else a miss too.

Does anyone else have any ideas of what I can look at? Is it possible to test the haldex for example?

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
The Haldex won`t cause wheel hop.It simply gives drive to the rear. If it`s not working you get huge front wheelspin
but it won`t make it hop.You can check it with VCDS. Failing that put car on 4 axle stands / car lift,start engine
,in drive all 4 wheels should turn.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Ahh this makes sense! Ok thanks for that Raptor. It’s only spinning the wheels because it’s struggling to get grip and it’s causinf the wheels to bounce. The car does drive forward but at reduced power so I take it that’s the rear wheels kicking in while the front is hopping along.

So the dogbone insert will further reduce drivetrain slackness and theoretically reduce the hopping from the wheels, is there anything else that can contribute to such issues?

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
Arkious
The dogbone insert just reduces engine rock making gearchanges less jerky.I doubt it would affect wheel hopping unless
the rest of the engine mounts are really bad.Hopping is more likely worn suspension bushes.You say it`s spinning the
wheels.If that`s the case then it`s a Haldex fault.The only time I get wheel spin is in the snow ,flooring it,traction
off.But that is all four spinning

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

sorry for the delay in getting back to you Raptor.

I am going to install the powerflex lower dogbone anyways as its £30 and as you say it will make silky smooth gearchanges so thats a win in its self.

I have also purchased the Powerflex Anti Lift Kit for the front wishbone along with the adjasent powerflex bushes. I have a feeling these are worn anyways as i have creaking from the front end going over speedbumps. its either that or the ARB bushes but i will replace them with OEM.

Finally im going to get the car on VCDS today and see about testing this Haldex to see if thats functioning correctly.

Mine wants to spin all the time meaning its almost impossible to floor it.

Hopefully i will have some understanding later today, but thanks for the help so far :)

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Right, plugged into VCDS and no faults showing on AWD. Only fault which was showing was ABS Brakes - 00668 Supply Viltage Terminal 30 which cleared when reset.

I then went on to the Output Test on AWD and I heard the pump prime and seen the current rise to 3.360Amps. Then I continued through the tests and heard/felt the clutch engage, all the way to END.

I haven’t tried driving it since resetting the ABS fault as the roads are now frosting over, but so far my issues don’t seem to be Haldex related?

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Right, plugged into VCDS and no faults showing on AWD. Only fault which was showing was ABS Brakes - 00668 Supply Viltage Terminal 30 which cleared when reset.

I then went on to the Output Test on AWD and I heard the pump prime and seen the current rise to 3.360Amps. Then I continued through the tests and heard/felt the clutch engage, all the way to END.

I haven’t tried driving it since resetting the ABS fault as the roads are now frosting over, but so far my issues don’t seem to be Haldex related?

The Haldex users the ABS as one of it`s inputs.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Ohh really?? Well I shall give it a go tomorrow and see what it’s like :) if that’s all it is then that’s super!

The transfer box is new so I highly doubt it’s that. If it’s still no good I will get it on the axle stands and see if all 4 wheels turn

Gaz

Gaz

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just out of interest is it a new transfer box or a rebuilt one? Also what did it cost?

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
It’s part of a brand new gearbox that was fitted by Audi as they failed to diagnose a bad gearbox mount... I had to pay £1400 of the apparent £10,000 bill (its a loooong story)

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

It’s part of a brand new gearbox that was fitted by Audi as they failed to diagnose a bad gearbox mount... I had to pay £1400 of the apparent £10,000 bill (its a loooong story)

£1400 is a lot better than £10k!!!

Hope you get this sorted mate, be interested to hear what caused it

Ollie

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

£1400 is a lot better than £10k!!!

Hope you get this sorted mate, be interested to hear what caused it

Ollie

The seals have been known to leak and cause the transfer case to run with less the required oil in turn no doubt contributing to a failure.

The state of the oil in mine was probably down to getting launched every five minutes. 😂

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 31 January 2019 - 08:14 AM.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

The seals have been known to leak and cause the transfer case to run with less the required oil in turn no doubt contributing to a failure.

The state of the oil in mine was probably down to getting launched every five minutes.

Going to change mine when I do the s-tronic oil change. Will keep an eye out for leaks!

Ollie

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Ok so the Quattro seems to try and do its thing, got the car sideways in the works car park which was a fun experience haha.

However what I have noticed is if I plant it from a stand still (not launch), the back end seems to be twitchy as hell. Almost like it’s engaging and disengaging the Quattro, which I don’t think is actually happening but it made me think of tyre pressures etc.

I have 19” 8V rotors on my 8P (255s front and 235s rear), but I went with the inflation pressures of the 8V. Do you think this could be my issue? And if so can someone give me an idea of what I should be setting them at as the 8P only quotes the OEM 225s.

Cheers :)

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Ok so the Quattro seems to try and do its thing, got the car sideways in the works car park which was a fun experience haha.
However what I have noticed is if I plant it from a stand still (not launch), the back end seems to be twitchy as hell. Almost like it’s engaging and disengaging the Quattro, which I don’t think is actually happening but it made me think of tyre pressures etc.
I have 19” 8V rotors on my 8P (255s front and 235s rear), but I went with the inflation pressures of the 8V. Do you think this could be my issue? And if so can someone give me an idea of what I should be setting them at as the 8P only quotes the OEM 225s.
Cheers :)

Just try using the 8P option tyre pressures as a base line & go from there would be the best option.

Btw I'm running 235/35-19s MPS4s all round all at 45psi & i don't have any problems including uneven wear rate mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 04 February 2019 - 08:51 AM.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Just try using the 8P option tyre pressures as a base line & go from there would be the best option.
Btw I'm running 235/35-19s MPS4s all round all at 45psi & i don't have any problems including uneven wear rate mate.
Dell.

Ok pal I shall give that a go as that seems a fair idea. I can’t remember what they are set to exactly but I will find out later today and give that a go. I know when I first fitted the 8V’s, I tried extra pressure in the front tyres as it seemed like they were running on the side walls (PS4S seem to have very soft side walls), but I put it back to standard pressures straight away as it didn’t seem to stop it.

Ohh well, will be interesting to see what they are at when I set them up.

For now I will try 41 front, 39 rear as per 8P 2 person settings

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Ok pal I shall give that a go as that seems a fair idea. I can’t remember what they are set to exactly but I will find out later today and give that a go. I know when I first fitted the 8V’s, I tried extra pressure in the front tyres as it seemed like they were running on the side walls (PS4S seem to have very soft side walls), but I put it back to standard pressures straight away as it didn’t seem to stop it.

Ohh well, will be interesting to see what they are at when I set them up.

For now I will try 41 front, 39 rear as per 8P 2 person settings

I run those pressures on the 8V rims. No issues

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
The

I run those pressures on the 8V rims. No issues

Cheers Jay, that’s useful as a comparator!

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.